Search the Health Library
Get the facts on diseases, conditions, tests and procedures.
I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
Jena Lyn Miller, M.D.
Assistant Professor of Gynecology and Obstetrics
Expertise: Amniotic Band Syndrome (ABS), Congenital Diaphragmatic Hernia, Exit Procedure, Fetal Cardiac Defects, Fetal Echo, Fetal Hydrops, Fetal Surgery, Fetoscopy, Gynecology, High Risk OB, Intrauterine Growth Restriction, Lower Urinary Tract Obstruction, Maternal and Fetal Medicine, Multiple Gestations, Obstetrics, Placental Dysfunction, Prenatal Ultrasound, Spina Bifida, Twin Anemia Polycythemia Sequence, Twin Reversed Arterial Perfusion, Twin-to-Twin Transfusion Syndrome ...read more
Dr. Jena Miller is an assistant professor in the Department of Gynecology and Obstetrics and the Department of Surgery at Johns Hopkins. She is also a member of the Johns Hopkins Center for Fetal Therapy. She has a wide range of training in fetal medicine and fetal therapy. Her expertise includes operative fetoscopy, management of complicated monochorionic twins, high-risk pregnancies, multiple gestations, prenatal diagnosis and treatment.
Dr. Miller completed her undergraduate training at the University of North Florida, followed by medical school and residency at the University of Miami Miller School of Medicine. She completed a maternal-fetal medicine fellowship at the University of Maryland and pursued additional opportunities in fetal medicine in Europe. She is board certified in Obstetrics and Gynecology and Maternal-Fetal Medicine.
Prior to joining Johns Hopkins, Dr. Miller was an Assistant Professor in Maternal-Fetal Medicine at Eastern Virginia Medical School and served as the director for the Sentara EVMS Fetal Care Center.
Dr. Miller’s research interests include risk assessment and management of complicated monochorionic pregnancies as well as use of simulation and modeling for improving fetal intervention techniques. She has received grant support from the Fetal Health Foundation for use of 3D printing of fetal spina bifida from ultrasound imaging.
Dr. Miller is a fellow of the American Congress of Obstetricians and Gynecologists. She is dedicated to teaching and was awarded the APGO Excellence in Teaching Award in 2014. She is absolutely dedicated to finding the optimal management plan specifically for each family.
- Assistant Professor of Gynecology and Obstetrics
- Assistant Professor of Surgery
Centers & Institutes
- MD, University of Miami (2003)
- University of Miami / Obstetrics and Gynecology (2007)
- University of Maryland Baltimore / Maternal and Fetal Medicine (2010)
- American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology / OB/GYN-Maternal Fetal Medicine (2015, 2017)
- American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology / Obstetrics And Gynecology (2011, 2017)
Research & Publications
Selected PublicationsView all on Pubmed
Miller JL, de Veciana M, Turan S, Kush M, Manogura A, Harman CR, Baschat AA. First trimester detection of fetal anomalies in pregestational diabetes using nuchal translucency, ductus venosus Doppler, and maternal glycosylated hemoglobin. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2013;208(5)385.e1-8.
Turan S, Turan OM, Miller J, Harman C, Reece EA, Baschat AA. Decreased fetal cardiac performance in the first trimester correlates with hyperglycemia in pregestational maternal diabetes. Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol. 2011;38(3):325-31.
Graatsma EM, Miller J, Mulder EJ, Harman C, Baschat AA, Visser GH. Maternal body mass index does not affect performance of fetal electrocardiography. Am J Perinaol. 2010;27(7):573-7.
Miller JL, Harman C, Weiner C, Baschat AA. Perinatal outcomes after second trimester detection of amniotic fluid viral genome in asymptomatic patients. J Perinat Med. 2009;37:140-3.
Gonzalez-Quintero, VH, Istwan N, Rhea D, Rodriguez L, Cotter A, Carter J, Mueller A, Stanziano G. The impact of glycemic control on neonatal outcome in singleton pregnancies complicated by gestational diabetes. Diabetes Care. 2007;30(3):467-70.
Hoffman MC, Jeffers S, Carter J, Duthely L, Cotter A, Gonzalez-Quintero VH. Is pregnancy after age 40 years associated with an increased risk of fetal demise? Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2007;196(5):e11-3.
Lentz M, Zanardi T, Filzen R, Carter J, Hella M. Functional analysis of a carboxyl-terminal phosphorylation mutant of the bovine papillomavirus E1 protein. J Mol Biol. 2002;316(3):599-609.
Activities & Honors
- Excellence in Teaching Award, Association of Professors of Gynecology and Obstetrics, 2014
- Most Outstanding Reisdent of the Year, William A Little Society, 2007
- Outstanding Chief Resident Award, 2007
- Junior Fellow Research Competition, Second place, American Congress Obstetrics and Gynecology/Florida Obstetric and Gynecologic Society, 2006
- Most Outstanding Resident Teaching Award, 2003 - 2005
- Medical Faculty Award, University of Miamii, 2003
- Canterbury Teaching Award, University of Miami Miller School of Medicine, 2003
- Iron Arrow Honor Society, University of Miami, 2002
- Medical Women’s Health Initiative Award – Eastern Student Research Forum, University of Miami, 2002
Videos & Media
Congenital Diaphragmatic Hernia (CDH) Q&A
Recent News Articles and Media Coverage
For Health Care Providers Congenital Diaphragmatic Hernia (CDH) Q&A (Video)