Search the Health Library
Get the facts on diseases, conditions, tests and procedures.
I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
I Want to...
Daniel P. Todes, Ph.D.
Professor of History of Medicine
Research Interests: History of medicine and science in Russia; History of biomedical and biological sciences; Social relations of scientific thought ...read more
Dr. Daniel P. Todes is a professor of history of medicine at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine. He holds a joint appointment in the Krieger School of Arts & Sciences’ Department of History of Science and Technology.
Dr. Todes’s teaching activities relate to his central interest: the relationship of scientific and medical ideas to the context in which they are generated.
He has authored books that include Pavlov's Physiology Factory: Experiment, Interpretation, Laboratory Enterprise and Darwin Without Malthus: The Struggle for Existence in Russian Evolutionary Thought, as well as a number of academic articles and book chapters.
Dr. Todes’s book, Ivan Pavlov: A Russian Life in Science, will be published in late 2014. He is working on the documentary film “Pavlov's Quest.”
- Professor of History of Medicine
Departments / Divisions
Research & Publications
Dr. Todes’ interest in the history of science and medicine originated with his participation in numerous arguments about the Vietnam War in the 1960s and 1970s.
From history—particularly Russian history—he found his way to history and sociology of science, which offered interesting approaches to a specific form of his question: ‘Why do scientists and physicians think what they think?’
- Todes DP. "Opportunities for women in science (Russia, 1912)." Nature. 2002 Mar 21;416(6878):262. No abstract available.
- Todes DP. "Pavlov's physiology factory." Isis. 1997 Jun;88(2):204-46.
- Harvey J, Todes DP, Vucinich A. "Essay review: Russian Darwinism." J Hist Biol. 1990 Fall;23(3):523-7. No abstract available.
- Todes DP. "Science and Russian Culture in an Age of Revolution. V. I. Vemadsky and His Scientific School, 1863-1945.Kendall E. Bales. Indiana University Press, Bloomington, 1990. xiv, 238 pp., illus. $29.50. Indiana-Michigan Series in Russian and East European Studies." Science. 1990 Sep 14;249(4974):1312. No abstract available.
- Todes DP. "Darwin's Malthusian metaphor and Russian evolutionary thought, 1859-1917." Isis. 1987 Dec;78(294):537-51. No abstract available.
- Todes DP. "Biological psychology and the Tsarist censor: the dilemma of scientific development." Bull Hist Med. 1984 Winter;58(4):529-44. No abstract available.
Academic Affiliations & Courses
Courses and Syllabi
Survey of Modern Medicine