I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
I Want to...
Michelle Christina Johansen, M.D.
Assistant Professor of Neurology
Specializes in: Adults (18+ years)
Expertise: Cerebrovascular Diseases, Neurology, Stroke
Research Interests: Cardioembolic Stroke, Stroke, Cerebrovascular Disease
- Assistant Professor of Neurology
Departments / Divisions
- Neurology - Neurology-Vascular
- B.S., University of Virginia (Virginia) (2007)
- M.D., Virginia Commonwealth University - Medical College of Virginia School of Medicine - Richmond (Virginia) (2011)
Research & Publications
Dr. Johansen’s research interest lie in the heart brain connection, specifically with regards to earlier diagnosis and ultimately prevention of cardioembolic stroke. Current research efforts focus on characterizing and then utilizing cardiac anatomy in ischemic stroke patients to improve stroke subtype diagnosis, codify risk of stroke recurrence and describe patient functional outcomes.
Erich L. Kiehl, M.D.,Alex M. Parker, M.D., Ralph M. Matar, M.D.,Matthew M. Gottbrecht, M.D., Michelle C. Johansen, M.D., Mark P. Adams, R.N., Lori A. Griffiths, R.N., Katherine L. Bidwell, Pharm.D. Venugopal Menon, M.D., Kyle B. Enfield, M.D., Lawrence W. Gimple, M.D. C-GRApH: A Validated Scoring System For The Early Stratification Of Neurologic Outcomes After Out-of- hospital. Journal of the American Heart Association. 10.1161/JAHA.115.003821.
Chapman, S. N., Mehndiratta, P., Johansen, M. C., McMurry, T. L., Johnston, K. C., & Southerland, A. M. (2014). Current perspectives on the use of intravenous recombinant tissue plasminogen activator (tPA) for treatment of acute ischemic stroke. Vascular health and risk management, 10, 75.
Academic Affiliations & Courses
Courses and Syllabi
American Academy of Neurology Podcast-Lessons of the Week Series and Breaking Research segments
2013 - 2015
Activities & Honors
- Alpha Omega Alpha Medical Society
- Robert F Byrd Scholarship
- Golden Key Honor Society
- KL2 Young Investigator Grant, 2017
- American Heart Association Mentored Clinical and Population Research Grant, 2016
- American College of Medical Quality; Quality Scholar, 2016
- University of Virginia Colligan Quality Improvement Grant, 2014
- Department of Neuroscience Award for Excellence in Clinical Neurology, 2011
- American Heart Association/American Stroke Association
- American Academy of Neurology
- Alpha Omega Alpha
- American College of Medical Quality
- American Chemical Society
- American College of Physicians
- Cavalier Varsity Athletic Alumni Association
- Gold Key Honor Society
- Peer Reviewed Journal Subject Expert Reviewer, Stroke, 2016
- Peer Reviewed Journal Subject Expert Reviewer, Neurology, 2016
- Peer Reviewed Journal Subject Expert Reviewer, PlosOne, 2016
- Peer Reviewed Journal Subject Expert Reviewer, Circulation, 2016
- Peer Reviewed Journal Subject Expert Reviewer, American Heart Association, 2017
Videos & Media
Lectures and Presentations
HEAD Talks: Ideas in Neurology Worth Sharing; “Overcoming irrational fear: Utilization of IV tPa in low NIHSS patients.”
Johns Hopkins High Value Research Symposium, “Paradigm shift: Utilization of Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) in Johns Hopkins Acute Stroke Care” accepted for presentation
International Stroke Conference Junior Investigator proposal, “FAST-PC: The Feasibility of Using the Aldrete-FAST Screening Tool to Detect Stroke in Post Cardiac Catheterization Setting”
American College of Medical Quality, Quality Scholar, “Targeting Stroke in the Cardiac Catheterization Lab through creation of the Aldrete-FAST Score: Preliminary results of a prospective quality improvement project”