I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
I Want to...
Phillip H. Phan, Ph.D.
Alonzo and Virginia Decker Professor
Joint Appointment in Medicine
Dr. Phillip Phan holds a joint appointment in medicine at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine. His research focuses on the processes and barriers to the successful innovation of devices, therapies, services and processes. Dr. Phan is the Alonzo and Virginia Decker Professor of Strategy and Entrepreneurship at the Johns Hopkins Carey Business School.
He received his B.B.A. from the University of Hawaii and his Ph.D. from the University of Washington. He joined the Carey Business School faculty in 2008.
In addition to peer-reviewed articles, Dr. Phan is the author of eight books on governance, technology innovation and entrepreneurship. He is editor of the Academy of Management Perspectives, and associate editor for Medicine, Journal of Financial Stability and Journal of Technology Transfer.
- Alonzo and Virginia Decker Professor
- Joint Appointment in Medicine
Departments / Divisions
Centers & Institutes
- B.B.A., University of Hawaii (Manoa) (1984)
- Ph.D., University of Washington (Washington) (1992)
Research & Publications
Choi YR, Phan PH. "Exploration, exploitation, and growth through new product development: the moderating effects of firm age and environmental adversity." IEEE Transactions on Engineering Management. 2014;61(3):428-437
Wong DF, Innis R, Sung LM, Gold L, Paul S, Phan PH, Grant S, Manji H. "New models of open innovation to rejuvenate the biopharmaceutical ecosystem." Neuropsychopharmacology. 2013;38:S17
Phan PH, Chambers C. "Advancing theory in entrepreneurship from the lens of operations management." Production and Operations Management. 2013;22(6): 1423-1428
Litwin, AS, Phan PH. "Quality over quantity: Reexamining the link between entrepreneurship and job creation." Industrial and Labor Relations Review. 2013;66(4):833-873
Walls JL, Berrone P, Phan PH. "Corporate governance and environmental performance: is there really a link?" Strategic Management Journal. 2012;33(8): 885-913
Activities & Honors
- Robert Bosch Foundation Public Policy Fellow, The American Academy in Berlin, 2006 - 2007
- Stephan Schrader Best Paper Award, Academy of Management, Technology and Innovation Management Division, 2007
- InCMed Steering Committee, Johns Hopkins Department of Medicine
- Editor, Academy of Management Perspectives
- Associate Editor, Journal of Financial Stability
- Associate Editor, Journal of Technology Transfer
- Associate Editor, Journal of Family Business Strategy
- Senior Editor, Journal of Business Venturing, 1998 - 2015
- Editorial Board, Academy of Management Journal, 2001 - 2007