Search the Health Library
Get the facts on diseases, conditions, tests and procedures.
I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
I Want to...
Dilhana Sumaiya Badurdeen, M.B.B.S.
Assistant Professor of Medicine
Languages: English, Sinhalese
Expertise: Colon Cancer, Colonoscopy, Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD), Obesity, Weight Loss
- Assistant Professor of Medicine
- MBBS, Manipal College of Medical Sciences (2002)
- Howard University Hospital / Internal Medicine (2011)
- Howard University Hospital / Gastroenterology (2015)
- American Board of Internal Medicine / Internal Medicine (2011, 2021)
Research & Publications
Selected PublicationsView all on Pubmed
Badurdeen D, Girgis M, Sanderson A, Laiyemo AO. Coxsackie Virus: An Unusual Cause of Pancreatitis. Am J Gastroenterol 2013;108(1):S88
Badurdeen D, Tesfaye B, Mekasha G, Jack M, Laiyemo A. Colonic Schistosomiasis: The Great Masquerade of Inflammatory Bowel Disease. Am J Gastroenterol 2013;108(1):S402
Badurdeen D, Brown K, Sanderson A, Laiyemo A. Black Esophagus. Am J Gastroenterol 2014; 109(2):S248
Tesfaye B, Arhinful J, Badurdeen D, Mekasha G. Strongyloides Colitis: A lethal mimic of Ulcerative Colitis. Am J Gastroenterol 2014;109(2):S402
Badurdeen D, Alkhalloufi K, Kibreab K, Begum R. Acute Pancreatitis and Sickle Cell Hepatopathy in a Pregnant Patient. Am J Gastroenterol 2014;109(2):S313
Academic Affiliations & Courses
Courses and Syllabi
Board Review for Gastroenterology Fellows, Howard University Hospital, Washington, DC
Preceptor, Physical Diagnosis course, 2nd year medical students Howard University College of Medicine, Washington, DC
Lecturer and small group facilitator, OS – 5 Course for 2nd year Medical Students, Howard University College of Medicine, Washington, DC
Coordinator, Morning Report and Noon Conference, Division of Gastroenterology, Howard University Hospital, Washington, DC
2014 - 2015
Activities & Honors
- Award for ‘Most Outstanding Presentation’ in the category of Translational and Clinical Sciences – Howard University Research day 2014
- Howard University Hospital GME Award for 'Outstanding Professionalism' - 2013
- American Association for the Study of Liver Disease (AASLD) and European Association for the Study of Liver Disease (EASL) – ‘Portal Hypertension and Variceal Hemorrhage Single topic conference Travel Award, Atlanta, Georgia - 2012
- Howard University Department of Medicine medal for research excellence - 2011
- 1st place winner of the podium presentation at the American College of Physicians (ACP) meeting - Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences, Bethesda, Maryland - 2011
- American Gastroenterological Association, member, 2012
- American College of Gastroenterology, member, 2012
- American Society of Gastrointestinal Endoscopy, member, 2012
- Sri Lanka Medical Society, memer, 2008
- Traveled to Sri Lanka to assist the Tsunami victims, 2005
- Participated in mobile eye camps for cataract surgery, Pokhara City Nepal, 2001
- Trekked to Poon Hill in the Annapurna range Nepal, to screen seniors for HTN, 2000
- Participated in screening projects for school children in rural areas of Pokhara City, Nepal, 1999