I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
I Want to...
Abbey Jean Hughes, M.A., Ph.D.
Assistant Professor of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
Expertise: Adjustment to Chronic Illness, Behavioral Sleep Medicine, Chronic Disease Management, Cognitive Behavior Therapy (CBT), Cognitive Rehabilitation, Multiple Sclerosis Rehabilitation, Neuropsychological Assessment and Intervention, Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, Rehabilitation Psychology ...read more
Research Interests: multiple sclerosis (MS); predictors of cognitive impairment in rehabilitation populations; health psychology interventions; and improving patient access to health care ...read more
Request an Appointment
I live in Maryland
Request an appointment through My
I live outside of Maryland
I live outside of the United States
The Johns Hopkins Hospital
Appointment Phone: 410-614-4030
600 N. Wolfe Street
Meyer Building 1-130
Baltimore, MD 21287 map
Abbey Hughes, Ph.D., is a clinical psychologist with expertise in rehabilitation psychology and multiple sclerosis rehabilitation research. Her clinical and research interests include the assessment, treatment and management of psychological and cognitive difficulties associated with multiple sclerosis, including adjustment to disability, sleep disturbance, fatigue, depression, anxiety, and problems with thinking or memory.
Using a multidisciplinary and biopsychosocial approach, Dr. Hughes conducts neuropsychological assessments, provides consultations and engages in psychological/behavioral medicine interventions with a variety of patients. As a clinician-scientist, she conducts research examining the assessment and treatment of sleep disturbance and neuropsychological impairment in people with multiple sclerosis.
- Assistant Professor of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
Research & Publications
Selected PublicationsView all on Pubmed
Turner AP, Alschuler KN, Hughes AJ, Beier M, Haselkorn JK, Sloan AP, Ehde DM. Mental Health Comorbidity in MS: Depression, Anxiety, and Bipolar Disorder. Curr Neurol Neurosci Rep. 2016 Dec;16(12):106. Review. PMID: 27848174
Koelmel E, Hughes AJ, Alschuler KN, Ehde DM. Resilience Mediates the Longitudinal Relationships Between Social Support and Mental Health Outcomes in Multiple Sclerosis. Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2016 Oct 24. pii: S0003-9993(16)31165-0. doi: 10.1016/j.apmr.2016.09.127. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 27789238
Choi IY, Lee P, Hughes AJ, Denney DR, Lynch SG. Longitudinal changes of cerebral glutathione (GSH) levels associated with the clinical course of disease progression in patients with secondary progressive multiple sclerosis. Mult Scler. 2016 Sep 12. pii: 1352458516669441. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 27620894
Hughes AJ, Turner AP, Alschuler KN, Atkins DC, Beier M, Amtmann D, Ehde DM. Association Between Sleep Problems and Perceived Cognitive Dysfunction Over 12 Months in Individuals with Multiple Sclerosis. Behav Sleep Med. 2016 May 11:1-13. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 27167969
Turner AP, Hartoonian N, Sloan AP, Benich M, Kivlahan DR, Hughes C, Hughes AJ, Haselkorn JK. Improving fatigue and depression in individuals with multiple sclerosis using telephone-administered physical activity counseling. J Consult Clin Psychol. 2016 Apr;84(4):297-309. doi: 10.1037/ccp0000086. PMID: 26913621
Activities & Honors
- ECTRIMS Young Investigator Award, European Committee for Treatment and Research in Multiple Sclerosis (ECRTIMS)
- Poster Award, Foundation for Rehabilitation Psychology
- Dissertation Research Award, Foundation for Rehabilitation Psychology
- C. R. Snyder Award for Excellence in Research Achievement, University of Kansas
- Judy E. Hall Early Career Psychologist Award, The National Register of Health Service Psychologists, 2017
- American Academy of Pain, 2015
- National Register of Health Service Psychologists, 2014
- American Psychological Association (APA), 2010
- APA Division of Rehabilitation Psychology (Division 22), 2011
- APA Society for Clinical Neuropsychology (Division 40), 2013
- Peer Reviewer, Archives of Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation, 2014
- Peer Reviewer, Journal for Rehabilitation Psychology, 2011
- Member, Division 22 Program Planning Committee, Annual APA Convention, 2015
Videos & Media
Multiple Sclerosis Rehabilitation | FAQ with Drs. Abbey Hughes and Alexius Sandoval
Recent News Articles and Media Coverage
Does MS Affect Thinking Skills? | U.S. News (June 2017)