Search the Health Library
Get the facts on diseases, conditions, tests and procedures.
I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
I Want to...
Aaron Watkins James, M.D., Ph.D.
Assistant Professor of Pathology
Expertise: Orthopaedic Pathology, Pathology
Research Interests: Bone biology; Osteogenesis; Skeletal repair; Mesenchymal stem cells; Osteosarcoma
Aaron W. James, M.D., Ph.D., was welcomed as an assistant professor of pathology in the Division of Surgical Pathology in August 2016. Dr. James was born and raised in Palo Alto, California and graduated from the University of California, Berkeley, with a B.A. in English literature. He earned his M.D. with thesis from the University of California, San Francisco with research at Stanford University. His thesis work focused on the mechanisms of ossification in cranial suture biology. Dr. James then moved to the University of California, Los Angeles where he performed his residency in anatomic pathology, and fellowships in orthopaedic pathology and surgical pathology. His Ph.D. was on purified stem cell fractions for bone repair. His clinical interests will focus on orthopaedic pathology and his research efforts will examine novel mechanisms for cell- and protein-based bone tissue engineering and regeneration.
- Assistant Professor of Pathology
- MD, University of California San Francisco (2010)
- UCLA Medical Center David Geffen School of Medicine / Anatomic Pathology (2015)
- UCLA Medical Center David Geffen School of Medicine (2016)
- American Board of Pathology / Anatomic Pathology (2015, 2018)
Research & Publications
Selected PublicationsView all on Pubmed
James AW, Zara JN, Zhang X, Askarinam A, Goyal R, Chiang M, Yuan W, Chang L, Corselli M, Shen J, Pang S, Stoker D, Ting K, Peault B, Soo C. Perivascular stem cells: a prospectively purified mesenchymal stem cell population for bone tissue engineering. Stem Cells Transl Med, Jun 2012; 1(6): 510-9. PMCID: PMC3659717
James AW, Zara JN, Corselli M, Askarinam A, Zhou AM, Hourfar A, Nguyen A, Megerdichian S, Asatrian G, Pang S, Stoker D, Zhang X, Wu B, Ting K, Peault B, Soo C. An abundant perivascular source of stem cells for bone tissue engineering. Stem Cells Transl Med, Sep 2012; 1(9): 673-84. PMCID: PMC3659737
Shen J, Shrestha S, Yen YH, Scott MA, Soo C, Ting K, Dry SM, Peault B, James AW. The pericyte antigen RGS5 in perivascular soft tissue tumors. Hum Path. Jan 2016; 47(1): 121-31. PMCID: PMC4861638. Corresponding author
Shen J, Shrestha S, Rao PN, Asatrian G, Scott MA, Nguyen V, Giacomelli P, Soo C, Ting K, Eilber FC, Peault B, Dry SM, James AW. Pericytic mimicry in well-differentiated liposarcoma / atypical lipomatous tumor. Hum Pathol, Apr 2016; Epub ahead of print. Corresponding author
James AW, Shen J, Zhang X, Asatrian G, Goyal R, Kwak JH, Bengs B, Culiat CT, Turner S, Seim HB, Lyons K, Adams JS, Ting K, Soo C. NELL-1 in the Treatment of Osteoporotic Bone Loss. Nature Communications, Jun 2015; 6:7362. PMCID: PMC4557288
Activities & Honors
- Excellence in Research Award for a Resident. Carre AL, James AW, Kawai K, MacLeod L, Longaker MT, Lorenz HP. High expression of collagen XV and non-fibrillar elastic fibers in embryonic as compared to postnatal skin. American College of Surgeons 2009 Clinical Congress, October 2009.
- Travelling Fellowship Award. Levi B, Nelson ER, Li S, James AW, Brown K, Lee M, Wan DC, Longaker MT. Novel regulation of human adipose-derived stromal cell osteogenesis through Noggin knockdown and a BMP-2 releasing scaffold. Society of University Surgeons, 2011.
- Excellence in Research Award in Orthopaedics, James AW, Nguyen VT, Zara JN, Chiang M, Soofer D, Zhang X, Ting K, Soo C. Nell-1 deficiency results in an osteopenic / osteoporotic phenotype. American College of Surgeons, Oct 2011, San Francisco, California.
- Best Paper of the Year: Levi B, James AW, Nelson ER, Peng M, Joubert LM, Vistnes D, Wu J, Longaker MT. Studies in adipose-derived stromal cells: Migration and participation in repair of cranial injury after systemic injection. Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Mar 2011, 127(3):1130-40. American Society of Maxillofacial Surgery, 2011
- President’s Poster Competition Winner, James AW, Shen J, Zhang X, Kim TM, Le K, Nguyen A, Rackohn T, Soofer D, Culiat CT, Adams JS, Ting K, Soo C. A new protective function of Nell-1 against osteoporosis by activation of Wnt/Beta-catenin signaling, ASBMR, Oct 2012, Minneapolis, MN.
- Spotlight Podium Presentation, James AW, Askarinam A, Pan A, Chang L, Goyal R, Rackohn T, Le K, Chung C, Zara JN, Corselli M, Zhang X, Stoker D, Ting K, Peault B, Soo C. Purified perivasc
- Best Abstract Award, International Society of Bone and Soft Tissue Pathology. James AW, Chung C, Asatrian G, Velasco O, Pan A, Nguyen A, Liang P, Stoker D, Ting K, Peault B, Soo C. Perivascular stem cells induce bone formation and vasculogenesis in ectopic and bone injury models. 102nd USCAP, Baltimore, MD, Mar 2013.
- Lead Guest Editor, Advances in Bone Tissue Engineering and Regeneration, Special Issue of BioMed Research International, Mar 2013.
- Young Investigator’s Award, ASBMR. James AW, Shen J, Velasco O, Asatrian G, Chung CG, Khadarian K, Zhang Y, Chang L, Goyal R, Kim J, Zhang X, Adams JS, Ting K, Soo C. Systemic administration of NELL-1, a Wnt/Beta catenin regulator, induces bone formation in osteoporotic mice via Integrin beta1. ASBMR 2013, Oct 2013, John H Carstens Distinguished Oral Presentation.
- International Investigator’s Award, JSBMR / BRS. James AW, Shen J, Velasco O, Asatrian G, Chung CG, Khadarian K, Zhang Y, Chang L, Goyal R, Kim J, Zhang X, Adams JS, Ting K, Soo C. Systemic administration of NELL-1, a Wnt/Beta catenin regulator, induces bone formation in osteoporotic mice via Integrin beta1. ASBMR 2013, Oct 2013.
- Best Pediatrics/Developmental Biology Abstract. Asatrian G, James AW, Zhang Y, Chung CG, Velasco O, Zhang X, Ting K, Soo C. Systemic delivery of chemically modified NELL-1 promotes bone formation in osteoporotic mice. 9th Annual Academic Surgical Congress, Feb 2013.
- Johnson & Johnson Hyatt Award Competition. Kwak J, Zhang Y, Park J, James AW, Shen J, Asatrian G, Chung GC, Velasco O, Chawan C, Khalilinejad K, Nguyen A, Chang L, Chen E, Lee KS, Bayani P, Dolatyar S, Zhang X, Soo C, Wu B, Ting K. PEGylated NELL-1 as novel platform technology for systemic osteogenic therapy. AADR, March 2014.
- Review Editorial Board Member, Stem Cell Treatments, Frontiers in Cell and Developmental Biology and Bioengineering and Biotechnology, starting Dec 2013.
- Editorial Board Member, International Journal of Orthopaedics, starting Apr 2014.
- Lead Guest Editor, Mesenchymal Stem Cells in Regenerative Medicine, Special Issue of BioMed Research International, May 2014.
- Daljit S. and Elaine Sarkaria Fellowship Award, Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, UCLA, Sep 2014.
- Mentor to Yu-Hsin Yen, Biomedical Research Summer Scholarship for Summer 2015.
- Associate Editor and Editorial Board Member, Journal of Stem Cell Research & Therapeutics, starting Jun 2015.
- James AW, Shen J, Asatrian G, Shrestha S, Wu B, Zhang X, Ting K, Soo C. NELL-1 induces expansion of Sca-1+ mesenchymal stem cell population for bone formation from small to large animal models. The American Society for Bone and Mineral Research (ASBMR), Sep 2015, Oral Poster Presentation, Plenary Poster Presentation, Young Investigator Travel Award.
- Featured Cover Article, Stem Cells. Lee S, Zhang X, Shen J, James AW, Chung CG, Hardy R, Li C, Girgius C, Zhang Y, Stoker D, Wu BM, Peault B, Ting K, Soo C. hPSCs and NELL-1 synergistically enhance spinal fusion in osteoporotic rats. Stem Cells, Jul 2015; Epub ahead of print.
- Member, Young Investigator Subcommittee. The American Society for Bone and Mineral Research (ASBMR). Sep 2015.
- Academic Editor, Medicine. Starting Oct 2015.
- Academic Editor, Journal of Orthopaedic Oncology. Starting Nov 2015.
- United States and Canadian Academy of Pathology, Member, 2012
- Los Angeles Society of Pathologist, 2013 - 2015
- International Society of Bone and Soft Tissue Pathology, Member, 2013
- American Society of Bone and Mineral Research, Member, 2013