Search the Health Library
Get the facts on diseases, conditions, tests and procedures.
I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
I Want to...
Akila N Viswanathan, M.D., M.P.H.
Executive Vice Chair, Johns Hopkins Radiation Oncology and Molecular Radiation Sciences
Professor of Radiation Oncology and Molecular Radiation Sciences
Expertise: Brachytherapy, Gynecologic Cancers, Gynecologic Oncology, Radiation Oncology, Uterine Cancer
Research Interests: Gynecologic malignancies; uterine cancers and image-guided brachytherapy
Request an Appointment
I live in Maryland
Request an appointment through My
I live outside of Maryland
I live outside of the United States
Johns Hopkins Sidney Kimmel Comprehensive Cancer Center
Appointment Phone: 410-502-8000
401 N. Broadway
Baltimore, MD 21231 map
Sibley Memorial Hospital
Appointment Phone: 202-537-4787
5255 Loughboro Road NW
Washington, DC 20016 map
As an expert on gynecologic cancers and their treatment, Dr. Akila Viswanathan has published more than 130 articles and chapters, with her primary clinical and research interests focused on gynecologic malignancies, uterine cancers and image-guided brachytherapy. She obtained her undergraduate degree at Harvard University, her medical degree at the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, Masters in Public Health and Masters in Epidemiology at the Harvard School of Public Health, and completed residency in radiation oncology at the Joint Center for Radiation Therapy, Harvard Medical School.
Dr. Viswanathan has held leadership positions in the American Brachytherapy Society and the American Society for Radiation Oncology, and serves on the committees of the Gynecologic Cancer InterGroup and the Gynecologic Cancer Steering Committee for the National Cancer Institute. She is on the editorial board of Gynecologic Oncology and Brachytherapy, and is an editor of the text Gynecologic Radiation Therapy: Novel Approaches to Image-Guidance and Management. She has been named to "America's Top Doctors" in 2014 and 2015 as listed in Newsweek.
- Executive Vice Chair, Johns Hopkins Radiation Oncology and Molecular Radiation Sciences
- Director of National Capital Region, Johns Hopkins Radiation Oncology and Molecular Radiation Sciences
- Director of Johns Hopkins Gynecological Radiation Oncology
- Professor of Radiation Oncology and Molecular Radiation Sciences
- Professor of Gynecology and Obstetrics
- Professor of Oncology
Departments / Divisions
- Gynecology and Obstetrics
- Radiation Oncology at Sibley Memorial Hospital
- Radiation Oncology and Molecular Radiation Sciences - Molecular Radiation Science
- MD, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine (1997)
- Brigham and Women's Hospital / Radiation Oncology (2002)
Research & Publications
Activities & Honors
- "America's Top Doctors", Newsweek, 2014 - 2015
- American Brachytherapy Society
- American Society for Radiation Oncology
- Gynecologic Cancer InterGroup and the Gynecologic Cancer Steering Committee for the National Cancer Institute