I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
I Want to...
Fabian McCartney Johnston, M.D., M.H.S.
Co-Director of the Peritoneal Surface Malignancy Program
Assistant Professor of Surgery
Expertise: Colorectal Cancer, Cytoreductive Surgery, Gastric Cancer, Gastroesophageal Cancer, Gastrointestinal Cancers, Gastrointestinal Tumors, General Surgery, Hyperthermic Intraperitoneal Chemotherapy (HIPEC), Neuroendocrine Tumors, Pancreatic Cancer, Sarcoma, Stomach Cancer, Von Hippel-Lindau (VHL), Whipple Procedure ...read more
Research Interests: incorporating highly innovative patient-centered models to improve the utilization of palliative care amongst patients with advanced gastrointestinal malignancies; and improving the quality of life for patient populations when they are most severely ill and vulnerable. ...read more
Request an Appointment
I live in Maryland
Request an appointment through My
I live outside of Maryland
I live outside of the United States
The Johns Hopkins Hospital
Appointment Phone: 443-997-1508
600 North Wolfe Street,
Halsted, Suite 612
Baltimore, MD 21287 map
Fabian M. Johnston, M.D., M.H.S., joins the Johns Hopkins Department of Surgery as assistant professor of surgery and co-director of the Peritoneal Surface Malignancy Program. Dr. Johnston’s areas of clinical expertise include colorectal cancer, cytoreductive surgery, gastric cancer, gastroesophageal cancer, gastrointestinal cancers and tumors, hyperthermic intraperitoneal chemotherapy (HIPEC), neuroendocrine tumors, pancreatic cancer, and sarcoma.
Prior to joining Johns Hopkins, Dr. Johnston was assistant professor of Surgery at The Medical College of Wisconsin in Milwaukee. He received his undergraduate degree from the State University of New York at Stony Brook and earned his medical degree from The Pennsylvania State University College of Medicine. He completed residencies at the Louisiana State University School of Medicine and Washington University in St. Louis. He performed fellowships at Washington University in St. Louis, and Johns Hopkins University, where he also earned his master’s degree.
Dr. Johnston holds leadership and committee positions at various organizations, including education committee member for the Association of Academic Surgeons, the Association of Academic Surgeons’ representative for the Society of Black Academic Surgeons, and the American College of Surgeons Committee for Surgical Palliative Care. He is also a member of Americas Hepato-Pancreato-Biliary Association and the American Society of Clinical Oncology.
Dr. Johnston’s research interests include incorporating highly innovative patient-centered models to improve the utilization of palliative care amongst patients with advanced gastrointestinal malignancies, and improving the quality of life for patient populations when they are most severely ill and vulnerable.
- Co-Director of the Peritoneal Surface Malignancy Program
- Assistant Professor of Surgery
Departments / Divisions
- Surgery - Surgical Oncology
Centers & Institutes
- MD, Penn State College of Medicine (2004)
- Louisiana State University Medical Center / General Surgery (2006)
- Washington University Saint Louis Department of Surgery / General Surgery (2011)
- Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine / Oncology (2013)
- American Board of Surgery / General Surgery (2012)
- American Board of Surgery / Surgical Oncology (2015)
Research & Publications
Activities & Honors
- Psi Chi Honor Society: Psychology Honor Society, 1996
- Alpha Epsilon Delta Honor Society: Pre-Med Honor Society, 1999
- Golden Key Honor Society, 2000
- BJH Research Grant ($50,000 to study DNA vaccines in Pancreatic Cancer), 2006
- Finalist AACR-ASCO Methods in Clinical Cancer Research, 2007
- NMA Leadership Fellowship Travel Award, 2007
- Society of Black Academic Surgeons Leaders Institute, 2014
- American College of Surgeons, 2005
- National Medical Association, 2010
- Society of Surgical Oncology, 2011
- Society of Black Academic Surgeons, 2010
- Americas Hepato-Pancreato-Biliary Association, 2010
- American Society of Clinical Oncology, 2012
- Association of Academic Surgeons, 2014
- Society for Surgery of the Alimentary Tract, 2015
Videos & Media
HIPEC: What You Need to Know | Fabian Johnston, M.D.
#TomorrowsDiscoveries: Patient Navigators Impact on Patients – Fabian Jonston, M.D., M.H.S.