Search the Health Library
Get the facts on diseases, conditions, tests and procedures.
I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
I Want to...
Joanna K Law, M.A., M.D.
Director of Endoscopic Ultrasound, Sibley Memorial Hospital
Assistant Professor of Medicine
Expertise: Endoscopic Retrograde Cholangiopancreatography, Endoscopic Ultrasound, Pancreatic Cysts
Research Interests: Medical education; new medical technology; pancreatic cysts; pancreas; quality assurance and quality indicators; advanced imaging
Sibley Memorial Hospital
5255 Loughboro Road NW
Washington, DC 20016 map
Dr. Joanna Law is the director of endoscopic ultrasound at Sibley Memorial Hospital and an assistant professor of medicine at Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine. She is also affiliated with Johns Hopkins Hospital and Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center. Dr. Law is certified in gastroenterology and internal medicine.
Dr. Law has an expertise in therapeutic endoscopy, specifically endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography, endoscopic ultrasound, deep enteroscopy, endoscopic management of pre- and malignant lesions of the gastrointestinal tract, and pancreatic cysts.
Dr. Law earned her medical degree from the University of British Columbia, where she also completed her residency in internal medicine and fellowship in gastroenterology. Dr. Law also completed a fellowship at Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine.
Dr. Law has earned numerous awards, such as the Outstanding Manuscript Award from the American Society for Gastrointestinal Endoscopy in 2015; the Johns Hopkins University Libraries Open Access Promotion Fund Award from Johns Hopkins University in 2014; and the Health Volunteers Overseas Volunteer Recognition Award in 2008.
Dr. Law has contributed to numerous publications and book chapters on gastroenterology topics. Her research interests include medical education, new medical technology, pancreatic cysts, quality assurance and indicators, and advanced imaging.
- Director of Endoscopic Ultrasound, Sibley Memorial Hospital
- Assistant Professor of Medicine
- MD, University of British Columbia (2003)
- University of British Columbia / Internal Medicine (2006)
- University of British Columbia / Gastroenterology (2008)
- Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine (2014)
- Royal College of Physicians & Surgeons of Canada / Gastroenterology (2008)
- Royal College of Physicians & Surgeons of Canada / Internal Medicine (2007)
Research & Publications
Selected PublicationsView all on Pubmed
1. Phang PT, Law JK, Toy E, Speers C, Paltiel C, Coldman AJ. Pathology audit of 1996 and 2000 reporting for rectal cancer in BC. BCMJ, 2003; 45: 319-23.
2. Law JK, Ho JK, Hoskins PJ, Erb SR, Steinbrecher UP, Yoshida EM. Fatal Reactivation of Hepatitis B Post-Chemotherapy for Lymphoma in a Hepatitis B Surface Antigen Negative, Hepatitis B Core Antibody Positive Patient: Implication for Future Prophylaxis Recommendations. Leukemia and Lymphoma. 2005; 46:1085-9.
3. Law JK, Davis JE, Buckley AR, Salh BS. Intrahepatic cholangiocarcinoma presenting as Budd-Chiari syndrome: a case report and literature review. Can J Gastroenterol. 2005; 19:723-8.
Joanna K Law
4. Law JK, Ali JA, Harrigan PR, Sherlock CH, Savage KJ, Yoshida EM. Fatal postlymphoma chemotherapy hepatitis B reactivation secondary to the emergence of a YMDD mutant strain with lamivudine resistance in a noncirrhotic patient. Am J Hematol. 2006; 81:969-72.
5. Law JK, Amar JN, Kirby SD, Zetler PJ, Enns RA. Colonic crytococcus infection. Gastrointest Endosc. 2007; 65:525-6.
6. Law JK, Andrews CN, Enns RA. Intravenous proton pump inhibition utilization and prescribing patterns escalation: a comparison between early and current trends in use. Gastrointest Endosc 2009; 69:3-9.
7. Bressler B, Law JK, Al Nahdi Sheraisher N, Atkinson K, Byrne MF, Chung HV, Fishman M, Partovi N, Pearson D, Penner R, Enns RA. The use of infliximab for treatment of hospitalized patients with acute severe ulcerative colitis. Can J Gastroenterol. 2008; 22:937-40.
8. Law JK, Salh BS, Yoshida EM. All that bleeds is not infliximab-refractory ulcerative colitis. Can J Gastroenterol. 2009; 23:91-2.
9. Law JK, Bressler B. What is the role of biologics in UC. Clinical Dilemmas in Inflammatory Bowel Disease: New Challenges 2nd ed. Irving P, Siegel C, Rampton D, Shahahan F [eds]. Wiley-Blackwell, Oxford, 2011.
10. Shahidi NC, Ou G, Svarta S, Law JK, Kwok R, Tong J, Lam EC, Enns RA. Factors associated with positive findings from capsule endoscopy in patients with obscure gastrointestinal bleeding. Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2012; 10:1381-5.
11. Khashab MA, Sharaiha RZ, Saxena P, Law JK, Singh VK, Lennon AM, Shin EJ, Cnato MI, Aguila G, Okolo PI 3rd, Stavropoulos SN, Inoue H, Pasricha PJ, Kalloo AN. Novel technique of auto-tunneling during peroral endoscopic myotomy (with video). Gastrointest Endosc. 2013; 77:119-22.
12. Law JK, Singh VK, Khashab MA, Hurban RH, Canto MI, Shin EJ, Saxena P, Weiss MJ, Pawlik TM, Wolfgang CL, Lennon, AM. Endoscopic ultrasound (EUS)-guided fiducial placement allows localization of small neuroendocrine tumors during parenchymal-sparing pancreatic surgery. Surg Endosc. 2013; 27:3921-6.
13. Law JK, Hruban RH, Lennon AM. Management of pancreatic cysts: a multidisciplinary approach. Curr Opin Gastroenterol. 2013; 29: 509-16.
14. Raman SP, Kawamoto S, Law JK, Blackford A, Lennon AM, Wolfgang CL, Hruban RH, Cameron JL, Fishman EK. Institutional experience with solid pseudopapillary neoplasms: focus on computed tomography, magnetic resonance imaging, conventional ultrasound, endoscopic ultrasound, and predictors of aggressive histology. J Comput Assist Tomogr. 2013; 37: 824-33.
15. Kumbhari V, Gondal B, Okolo PI 3rd, Lennon AM, Law JK, Singh VK, Saxena P, Shin EJ, Canto MI, Kalloo AN, Khashab MA. Endoscopic ultrasound-guided angiotherapy of a large bleeding gastrointestinal stromal tumor. Endoscopy. 2013; 45 Suppl 2.
16. Law JK, Okolo PI 3rd. The use of stents for colonic obstruction. Current Surgical Therapy, 11th ed. Cameron JL, Cameron A [eds]. Saunders, USA, 2013.
17. Law JK, Ahmed A, Singh VK, Akshintala VS, Olson MT, Rama SP, Ali SZ, Fishman EK, Kamel I, Canto MI, Dal Molin M, Moran RA, Khashab MA, Ahuja N, Goggins M, Hruban RH, Wolfgang CL, Lennon AM. A systematic review of solid-pseudopapillary neoplasms: are these rare lesions? Pancreas. 2014; 43:331-7.
18. Law JK, Stoita A, Weaver W, Gleeson FC, Dries AM, Blackford A, Kiswani V, Shin EJ, Khashab MA, Canto MI, Singh VK, Lennon AM. Endoscopic ultrasound-guided fine needle aspiration improves the pre-operative diagnostic yield of solid-pseudopapillary neoplasm of the pancreas: an international multicenter case series (with video). Surg Endosc. 2014;28:2592-8.
19. Haito-Chavez Y, Law JK, Kratt T, Arezzo A, Verra M, Morino M, Sharaiha RZ, Poley JW, Kahaleh M, Thompson CC, Ryan MB, CHoksi N, ELmunzer BJ, Gosain S, Goldberg EM, Modayil RJ, Stavropolouos SN, Schembre DB, DiMaio CJ, Chandrasekhara V, Hasan MK, Varadarajulu S, Hawes R, Gomez V, Woodward TA, Rubel-Cohen S, Fluxa F, Vleggaar FP, Skshintala VS, Raju GS, Khashab MA. International multicenter experience with an over-the-scope clipping device for endoscopic management of GI defects (with video). Gastrointest Endosc. 2014; 80: 610-22.
20. Saxena P, Jeffers A, Mitchell SE, Pawlik TM, Law JK, Kumbhari V, Khashab MA, Singh VK. A minimally invasive technique utilizing percutaneous and endoscopic rendezvous for successful treatment of a proximal bile leak following partial hepatectomy. Endoscopy. 2014; 46 Suppl 1.
21. Kumbhari V, Storm AC, Khashab MA, Canto MI, Saxena P, Akshintala VS, Messallam AA, Singh VK, Lennon AM, Shin EJ, Law JK, Okolo III PI. Deep enteroscopy with standard endoscopes using a novel through-the-scope balloon. Endoscopy. 2014; 46: 685-9.
22. Afghani E, Akshintala VS, Khashab MA, Law JK, Hutfless SM, Kim KJ, Lennon AM, Kalloo AN, Singh VK. 5-Fr vs. 3-Fr pancreatic stents for the prevention of post-ERCP pancreatitis in high-risk patients: a systematic review and network meta-analysis. Endoscopy. 2014; 46:573-80.
23. Law JK, Wolfgang CL, Weiss MJ, Lennon AM. Concomitant pancreatic adenocarcinoma in a patient with branch duct intraductal papillary mucinous neoplasm. World J Gastroenterol. 2014; 20:9200-4.
24. Shahidi N, Ou G, Tong J, Kwok R, Galorport C, Law JK, Enns R. Capsule endoscopy for obscure gastrointestinal bleeding in patients with comorbid rheumatic diseases. Diagn Ther Endosc. 2014; 534345.
25. Lennon AM, Victor D, Zaheer A, Ostovaneh MR, Jeh J, Law JK, Rezaee N, Molin MD, Ahn YJ, Wu W, Khashab MA, Girotra M, Ahuja N, Makary MA, Weiss MJ, Hirose K, Goggins M, Hruban RH, Cameron A, Wolfgang CL, Singh VK, Gurakar A. Liver transplant patients have a risk of progression similar to that of sporadic patients with branch duct intraductal papillary neoplasms. Liver Transpl. 2014; 20:1462-7.
26. Lindeman BM, Law JK, Lipsett PA, Arbella T, Stem M, Lidor AO. A blended online curriculum in the basic surgery clerkship: a pilot study. Am J Surg 2015; 209: 145-51.
27. Oduyebo I, Law JK, Zaheer A, Weiss MJ, Wolfgang C, Lennon AM. Choledochal or pancreatic cyst? Role of endoscopic ultrasound as an adjunct for diagnosis : a case series. Surg Endosc. 2014 [Epub ahead of print]
28. Law JK, Al Kawas F. EUS-guided pancreatic duct drainage by using a novel self-expandable stent in patients with obstructive
1. Law JK, Bressler B. What is the role of biologics in UC. Clinical Dilemmas in Inflammatory Bowel Disease: New Challenges 2nd ed. Irving P, Siegel C, Rampton D, Shahahan F [eds]. Wiley-Blackwell, Oxford, 2011.
2. Law JK, Okolo PI 3rd. The use of stents for colonic obstruction. Current Surgical Therapy, 11th ed. Cameron JL, Cameron A [eds]. Saunders, USA, 2013.
3. Law JK, Hruban RH, Lennon AM. Management of pancreatic cysts: a multidisciplinary approach. Curr Op Gastroenterol. 2013; 29: 509 – 16.
Activities & Honors
- Outstanding Manuscript Award, American Society for Gastrointestinal Endoscopy, 2015 - 2015
- Johns Hopkins University Libraries Open Access Promotion Fund Award Recipient, Johns Hopkins University, 2014 - 2014
- The National Pancreas Foundation Fellows Symposium Participant, The National Pancreas Foundation, 2014 - 2014
- Advanced Endoscopy Fellowship Program Award, Boston Scientific Corporation, 2013 - 2014
- Volker Dolch Fellow in Gastroenterology, Johns Hopkins Hospital, 2012 - 2014
- Health Volunteers Overseas Volunteer Recognition Award, 2008 - 2008
- AstraZeneca Resident of the Year in Gastroenterology, St. Paul's Hospital, 2003 - 2005
- AstraZeneca Resident of the Year in Gastroenterology, Vancouver General Hospital, 2003 - 2004