Search the Health Library
Get the facts on diseases, conditions, tests and procedures.
I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
I Want to...
Dan Wu, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor of Radiology and Radiological Science
Research Interests: Diffusion MRI; high-resolution neuroimaging; fetal and neonatal MRI; brain connectivity; brain atlasing; quantitative image analysis; computer-aided diagnosis ...read more
Dr. Wu obtained her Ph.D. degree from the Department of Biomedical Engineering at Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine in 2015. Since then, she has been working in the Department of Radiology, Division of Magnetic Resonance Research, at Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine. Dr. Wu research primarily focuses on developing novel MRI techniques, especially diffusion MRI techniques, and the applications of these techniques for neuroimaging. She is also expert on medical image processing, including brain atlas based image quantification and computer-aided diagnosis.
- Assistant Professor of Radiology and Radiological Science
Departments / Divisions
- Radiology and Radiological Science - Magnetic Resonance Research
- B.Eng., Zhejiang University (China) (2009)
- Ph.D., Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine (Maryland) (2015)
Research & Publications
Dr. Wu’s research primarily focuses on:
1) In-utero imaging of the fetal brain development of injury
2) Fast high-resolution diffusion MRI and brain connectivity analysis
3) Time-dependent diffusion MRI using oscillating gradient, with applications in neonatal hypoxia-ischemia
4) MRI atlas based image segmentation and feature analysis, with applications in dementia patients
Technology Expertise KeywordsPulse sequence; fast imaging; in-utero MRI; fiber tracking; diffusion MRI models; atlas-based image segmentation; feature analysis; machine learning
Selected PublicationsView all on Pubmed
Wu D, Zhang J. In vivo mapping of macroscopic neuronal projections in the mouse hippocampus using high-resolution diffusion MRI. Neuroimage. 2016;125:84-93.
Wu D, Ceritoglu C, Miller MI, Mori S. Direct estimation of patient attributes from anatomical MRI based on multi-atlas voting. NeuroImage: Clinical. 2016;12:570-81.
Wu D, Ma T, Ceritoglu C, Li Y, Chotiyanonta J, Hou Z, Hsu J, Xu X, Brown T, Miller MI, Mori S. Resource atlases for multi-atlas brain segmentations with multiple ontology levels based on T1-weighted MRI. Neuroimage. 2015;125:120-30.
Wu D, Lei J, Rosenzweig JM, Burd I, Zhang J. In utero localized diffusion MRI of the embryonic mouse brain microstructure and injury. J Magn Reson Imaging. 2015;42(3):717-28.
Wu D, Reisinger D, Xu JD, Fatemi SA, van Zijl PCM, Mori S, Zhang J. Localized diffusion magnetic resonance micro-imaging of the live mouse brain. Neuroimage. 2014;91:12-20.
Wu D, Martin LJ, Northington FJ, Zhang J. Oscillating gradient diffusion MRI reveals unique microstructural information in normal and hypoxia-ischemia injured mouse brains. Magnetic resonance in medicine. 2014;72(5):1366-74.
Activities & Honors
- Junior Fellow, International Society of Magnetic Resonance in Medicine, 2016
- Summa Cum Laude Merit Award, The 24th ISMRM Annual Meeting, 2016
- Magna Cum Laude Merit Award, The 24th ISMRM Annual Meeting, 2016
- Distinguished Reviewer, Journal of Magnetic Resonance Imaging, 2016
- Student Fellowship, Howard Hughes Medical Institute (HHMI) International, 2014 - 2016
- Summa Cum Laude Merit Awards, The 23rd ISMRM Annual Meeting, 2015
- Hairball Award, Johns Hopkins Radiology MRI Division Annual Retreat, 2014
- 1st place Poster Award in Diffusion Study Group, The 22nd ISMRM Annual Meeting, 2014
- Summa Cum Laude Merit Award, The 21st ISMRM Annual Meeting, 2013
- Andrew and Elvira Bozzelli Fellowship, 2009 - 2010
- International Society of Magnetic Resonance in Medicine, 2011
- Society of Neuroscience (SfN), 2009 - 2015
- IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society (EMBS), 2009 - 2011
- Annual Meeting Program Committee, International Society for Magnetic Resonance in Medicine
- Editorial Board, Journal of Biomedical Graphics and Computing, 2016
Videos & Media
Lectures and Presentations
Mapping temporal order of whole brain volumetric changes using change point analysis in premanifest Hungtington Disease
Mapping the Critical Gestational Age at Birth to White Matter Development in Preterm-born Infants.
Oral, International Symposium in Toyama on How Humans Evolved Supersize Brains-The Growth of the Brain (01/01/2016)
In-utero localized diffusion MRI of the embryonic mouse brain microstructure and injury.
Oral, ISMRM (01/01/2015)
How to suppress the contribution from pseudo-diffusion in oscillating gradient diffusion MRI.
Oral, ISMRM (01/01/2015)
High resolution HARDI of early embryonic mouse brain development.
Oral, oint Annual Meeting ISMRM-ESMRMB (01/01/2014)
Microstructural insights into neonatal hypoxia-ischemia by oscillating gradient diffusion MRI.
Oral, Hershey Meeting on Developmental Brain Injury (01/01/2014)
Localized in vivo high resolution HARDI reveals complex microstructure in the mouse brain.
Oral, ISMRM (01/01/2013)