Search the Health Library
Get the facts on diseases, conditions, tests and procedures.
I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
Rajat Mittal, M.S., Ph.D.
Joint Appointment in Medicine
Research Interests: Computational ?uid dynamics; Hemodynamics; Bio?uid dynamics; Fluid-structure interaction; Biomedical engineering
- Joint Appointment in Medicine
Departments / Divisions
- Medicine - Cardiovascular
- M.S., University of Florida (Florida) (1991)
- Ph.D., University of Illinois (Urbana-Champaign) (Illinois) (1995)
Research & Publications
Dr. Mittal conducts research in computational modeling of physiological fluid dynamics. He was trained as a fluid dynamicist, and has extensive background in computational fluid dynamics, turbulence, fluid-structure interaction, high-performance computing and biomechanics. For the past fifteen years, he has been developing computational methods to model a variety of physiological flows with particular focus on cardiovascular and cardiac hemodynamics, and phonatory aerodynamics. A hallmark of his research is the development of multiphysics models that couple a variety of physical domains such as fluid flow, solid mechanics, acoustics and biochemistry, in order to provide unique modeling capabilities and insights into the biophysics of organ function in health and disease. Current research focuses on CT based diagnostics for coronary artery disease, biophysics of cardiac auscultation and mechanisms for thrombogenesis in infarcted ventricles.
Activities & Honors
- Fellow, American Physical Society, 2011 - 2012
- Fellow, American Society of Mechanical Engineers, 2011 - 2012
- Lewis Moody Award from the American Society of Mechanical Engineers, 2006 - 2007
- Associate Fellow, American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics, 2005 - 2006
- Fellows Lecture, Pratt & Whitney, East Hartford, CT, 1999 - 1999