Search the Health Library
Get the facts on diseases, conditions, tests and procedures.
I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
I Want to...
Mihail Zilbermint, M.D.
Director of Endocrinology, Diabetes and Metabolism Care, Johns Hopkins Community Physicians Suburban Hospital
Assistant Professor of Medicine
Specializes in: Adults (18+ years)
Languages: English, Romanian, Russian
Expertise: Adrenal Diseases, Diabetes Mellitus, Endocrinology, Metabolism, Thyroid Diseases
Research Interests: Diabetes mellitus; Adrenal disease; Thyroid diseases
Johns Hopkins Community Physicians - Suburban Hospital
8600 Old Georgetown Road
6th Floor, Endocrinology Office
Bethesda, MD 20814 map
Dr. Mihail Zilbermint is an assistant professor of medicine at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine. His areas of clinical expertise include adrenal disease, diabetes mellitus and endocrinology. He serves as the director of endocrinology, diabetes and metabolism care at Johns Hopkins Community Physicians Suburban Hospital.
He earned his M.D. from State Medical and Pharmaceutical University N. Testemitanu. He completed his residency at St. Agnes Hospital and performed a fellowship in endocrinology at the National Institutes of Health.
Dr. Zilbermint's research interests include diabetes mellitus, adrenal disease and thyroid diseases.
He is a member of several professional organizations, including the Endocrine Society, the American College of Physicians and the European Society of Endocrinology.
- Director of Endocrinology, Diabetes and Metabolism Care, Johns Hopkins Community Physicians Suburban Hospital
- Assistant Professor of Medicine
- MD, State Medical and Pharmaceutical University N. Testemitanu (2003)
- St Agnes Hospital / Internal Medicine (2012)
- National Institutes of Health-Credentialing Services Section / Endocrinology (2015)
- American Board of Internal Medicine / Endocrinology/Diabetes/Metabolism (2014)
- American Board of Internal Medicine / Internal Medicine (2012)
- Advanced Cardiac Life Support license, American Heart Association (2009)
- Basic Life Support license, American Heart Association (2009)
- Certificate in Introduction to the Principles and Practice of Clinical Research, National Institutes of Health Clinical Center, Bethesda, MD (2012, 2013)
- Physician and Surgeon, (D0073707), Maryland Board of Physicians (2012)
Research & Publications
Selected PublicationsView all on Pubmed
Hodes, A.; Lodish, M. B.; Tirosh, A.; Meyer, J.; Belyavskaya, E.; Lyssikatos, C.; Rosenberg, K.; Demidowich, A.; Swan, J.; Jonas, N.; Stratakis, C. A.; Zilbermint, M., Hair cortisol in the evaluation of Cushing syndrome. Endocrine 2017, 1-11. DOI 10.1007/s12020-017-1231-7
Angelousi, A., Zilbermint, M., Berthon, A., Espiard, S., & Stratakis, C. A. (2016). Diagnosis and Management of Hereditary Adrenal Cancer. In G. Pichert & C. Jacobs (Eds.), Rare Hereditary Cancers: Diagnosis and Management (pp. 125-147). Cham: Springer International Publishing.
Nobel, Y. R.; Lodish, M. B.; Raygada, M.; Rivero, J. D.; Faucz, F. R.; Abraham, S. B.; Lyssikatos, C.; Belyavskaya, E.; Stratakis, C. A.; Zilbermint, M., Pseudohypoaldosteronism type 1 due to novel variants of SCNN1B gene. Endocrinol Diabetes Metab Case Rep 2016, 2016, 150104.
Correa R, Zilbermint M, Berthon A, Espiard S, Batsis M, Papadakis GZ, Xekouki P, Lodish MB, Bertherat J, Faucz FR, Stratakis CA. The ARMC5 gene shows extensive genetic variance in primary macronodular adrenocortical hyperplasia. Eur J Endocrinol. 2015 Oct;173(4):435-40. doi: 10.1530/EJE-15-0205. Epub 2015 Jul 10. PMID: 26162405 Free PMC Article Select item 26102935
Monticone S, Bandulik S, Stindl J, Zilbermint M, Dedov I, Tetti M, Allgaeuer M, Lee CC, Mulatero P, Stratakis CA, Williams TA, Tiulpakov A. 6C.03: A CASE OF SEVERE HYPERALDOSTERONISM CAUSED BY A DE NOVO KCNJ5 MUTATION. J Hypertens. 2015 Jun;33 Suppl 1:e79-80. doi: 10.1097/01.hjh.0000467567.26208.53. PMID: 26102935 Select item 25871963
Activities & Honors
- History of Medicine Award, State Medical and Pharmaceutical University, 2001
- Samuel A. Goldsmith Award for communal service, 2007
- Travel award from St. Agnes Hospital for the 93rd Endocrine Society meeting in Boston, MA, 2011
- Second place at the St. Agnes Hospital’s Research Competition, 2011
- European Society of Endocrinology Basic Science Meeting Grant, 2012
- International Society of Endocrinology Travel Grant, 2012
- Certificate of Appreciation from the American College of Physicians, 2012
- Travel Award for Early Career Forum at the 16th International Congress of Endocrinology, The Endocrine Society’s 96th Annual Meeting, 2014
- Drexel College of Medicine Golden Apple Award for Excellence in Teaching nominee, 2014
- International Society of Endocrinology Travel Grant, 2014
- Best Poster Award, Mid-Atlantic Chapter of American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists, 2014
- Type 1 Diabetes Fellow Travel Award, The Endocrine Society’s 97th Annual Meeting, 2015
- Endocrine Society Outstanding Abstract Award, The Endocrine Society’s 97th Annual Meeting, 2015
- Clinical Fellows Abstract Award in Cardiovascular Endocrinology, The Endocrine Society’s 97th Annual Meeting, 2015
- The Endocrine Society
- The American College of Physicians
- European Society of Endocrinology
- American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists
- American Thyroid Association
- American Diabetes Association
- Association for Clinical and Translational Science
Videos & Media
Recent News Articles and Media Coverage
Hair analysis may help diagnose Cushing Syndrome, ScienceBlog, (February 12, 2017)
Cushing's syndrome: Could analyzing hair confirm diagnosis? Medical News Today, (February 10, 2017)
Hair Cortisol in the Evaluation of Cushing Syndrome, MedicalResearch, (February 10, 2017)
Hair analysis may help diagnose Cushing syndrome, researchers report, MedicalXpress, (February 9, 2017)
Hair Test for Cushing Syndrome?, Medpage Today, (February 09, 2017)
Hair analysis may help diagnose Cushing Syndrome, NIH researchers report, National Institutes of Health (February 9, 2017)
Living with Diabetes: A Marathon, Not a Sprint, New Directions Winter 2017, January 10, 2017
Ask the Expert: Living it Up While Living With Diabetes, Ask the Expert, Suburban Hospital
May Spotlight of the Month, ish-world.com, May 2015