Search the Health Library
Get the facts on diseases, conditions, tests and procedures.
I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
Mohammed M H Kalan, M.D.
Expertise: Abdominal Surgery, Clinical Gastroenterology, Colorectal Surgery, Gastrointestinal Cancers, Minimally Invasive Gastrointestinal Surgery , Robotic Surgery
Washington Institute of Surgery
Appointment Phone: 202-775-9375
2311 M St NW
Washington, DC 20037 map
Washington Institute of Surgery LLC
5530 Wisconsin Ave
Chevy Chase, MD 20815 map
Dr. Mohammed Kalan is a general surgeon affiliated with Sibley Memorial Hospital and George Washington University Hospital. Dr. Kalan is certified in surgery by the American Board of Surgery. He practices out of the Washington Institute of Surgery in Washington, D.C. and Chevy Chase, Md.
Dr. Kalan has an expertise in abdominal surgery, clinical gastroenterology, colorectal surgery, gastrointestinal cancers, minimally invasive gastrointestinal surgery and robotic surgery.
Dr. Kalan earned his MBBS from Byramjee Jeejeebhoy Medical College in India. He completed a residency in general surgery at Temple University School of Medicine, followed by a fellowship in laparoscopic surgery at George Washington University School of Medicine.
Dr. Kalan is a fellow of the American College of Surgeons and the Royal College of Surgeons of London and Edinburgh, U.K.
Dr. Kalan has earned numerous awards. His teaching awards include the Outstanding Faculty Teacher for the Department of Surgery from Georgetown University Hospital in 2001; the Golden Apple Award Nomination from Georgetown University Medical School in 2000; the Georgetown Caring Star from Georgetown University Hospital in 2009 and 2003; and the W.L. Gore/Stuart I. Myers Award for Academic Excellence from Temple University in 1998. Dr. Kalan has also been named one of America’s Top Surgeons by the Consumers’ Research Council of America from 2010-2014; and a Top Doctor in General and Laparoscopic Surgery by Washingtonian magazine in 2002.
Departments / Divisions
- Surgery at Sibley Memorial Hospital
- MBBS, Byramjee Jeejeebhoy Medical College (1982)
- Temple University School of Medicine / General Surgery (1998)
- The George Washington University / Laproscopic (1999)
- American Board of Surgery / Surgery (1999)
Activities & Honors
- Outstanding Faculty Teacher, Department of Surgery,, Georgetown University Hospital, Washington, DC, 2001
- Golden Apple Award Nomination, Georgetown University Medical School, Washington, DC, 2000
- America’s Top Surgeons, Consumers’ Research Council of America, 2014
- Charter Member of Peer Reviewed Physicians, Peer Reviewed Professionals, 2013
- Top Ten Oncologist, American Registry, Top 10 Doctors, 2013
- America’s Top Surgeons,, Consumer’s Research Council of America, 2010 - 2013
- Georgetown Caring Star, Georgetown University Hospital, 2009
- America’s Top Surgeons, , Consumer’s Research Council of America, 2007
- Outstanding Physician Specialist, General Surgery, Washington Consumers’ Checkbook, Winter/Spring, 2003
- Georgetown Shining Star, Georgetown University Hospital, Washington, DC, 2003
- Top Doctor, General & Laparoscopic Surgery, The Washingtonian, 2002
- Gallery of Service Excellence, Georgetown University Hospital,, 2001
- The W.L. Gore/Stuart I. Myers award for academic excellence, Temple University, 1998