Search the Health Library
Get the facts on diseases, conditions, tests and procedures.
I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
Beth L Ungar, M.D.
Expertise: Infectious Diseases, Tropical Medicine
Research Interests: Intestinal Parasites; Giardia; Cryptosporidium
Foxhall Internists PC
Appointment Phone: 202-362-4467
3301 New Mexico Ave NW
Washington, DC 20016 map
Dr. Beth L. Ungar is an infectious disease specialist affiliated with Sibley Memorial Hospital. Dr. Ungar is board certified in infectious diseases and internal medicine by the American Board of Internal Medicine. She practices out of Foxhall Internists in Washington, D.C.
Dr. Ungar earned her bachelor’s degree from Harvard University and a master’s degree in anthropology from American University after teaching in Kenya. Following that, Dr. Ungar became a fellow in suicide prevention at the National Institute of Mental Health before earning her medical degree from Georgetown University School of Medicine. She completed a residency in internal medicine at MedStar Georgetown University Medical Center, followed by a fellowship in infectious diseases at The Johns Hopkins Hospital and the Laboratory of Parasitic Disease of the National Institutes of Health. Dr. Ungar was previously a clinical and research associate professor of medicine and preventive medicine at the Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences, where she earned an Exceptional Service Medal, as well as an attending physician at the Walter Reed Army Medical Center, where she consulted on tropical medicine projects in Africa, Southeast Asia and Latin America.
Dr. Ungar has been named a Regional Top Doctor by Castle Connolly and a Super Doctor by the Washington Post magazine.
Dr. Ungar is a fellow of the American College of Physicians.
Dr. Ungar has conducted research on intestinal parasites such as Giardia and Cryptosporidium, which she also developed rapid-detection tests for.
Departments / Divisions
- Medicine at Sibley Memorial Hospital
- MD, Georgetown University School of Medicine (1977)
- MedStar Georgetown University Medical Center / Internal Medicine (1980)
- The Johns Hopkins Hospital / Infectious Diseases (1983)
- National Institutes of Health-Credentialing Services Section / Infectious Diseases (1985)
- American Board of Internal Medicine / Infectious Disease (1986)
- American Board of Internal Medicine / Internal Medicine (1980)
Activities & Honors
- Super Doctor, Washington Post Magazine
- Regional Top Doctor, Castle Connolly, 2014
- American College of Physicians