Search the Health Library
Get the facts on diseases, conditions, tests and procedures.
I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
I Want to...
Raimond L. Winslow, Ph.D.
The Raj and Neera Singh Professor of Biomedical Engineering
Professor of Biomedical Engineering
Research Interests: Grid-computing and data-sharing; Biomedical data representation and database design; Integrative modeling of cardiac function in health and disease; Computational modeling of intracellular signaling, metabolism and electrical excitability in cardiac myocytes ...read more
Dr. Raimond L. Winslow is a professor of biomedical engineering at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine. He holds an additional appointment in the Whiting School of Engineering at Johns Hopkins, through which he serves as Director of the Institute for Computational Medicine and Director of the Center for Cardiovascular Bioinformatics and Modeling.
Dr. Winslow holds a B.S. in electrical engineering from Worcester Polytechnic Institute and a Ph.D. in biomedical engineering from the Johns Hopkins University. He concluded his training at the Institute for Biomedical Computing and Department of Neurology within Washington University in St. Louis. He joined the faculty of Johns Hopkins in 1991 as an assistant professor, became an associate professor in 1994 and a full professor in 2000.
Dr. Winslow is a fellow of the Biomedical Engineering Society, American Heart Association and American Institute for Medical and Biological Engineering. He serves as Specialty Editor in Chief for the journal Frontiers in Computational Physiology and Medicine, and as a member of the editorial boards of Circulation Research, The Journal of Molecular and Cellular Cardiology, IET Systems Biology and the International Journal of Computational Medicine and Healthcare. He has authored or co-authored over 130 peer-reviewed articles and 12 book chapters, received numerous grants and awards and holds one patent.
- The Raj and Neera Singh Professor of Biomedical Engineering
- Director, Institute for Computational Medicine
- Director, Center for Cardiovascular Bioinformatics and Modeling
- Professor of Biomedical Engineering
- Joint Appointment in Health Sciences Informatics
- Professor of Medicine
Departments / Divisions
- Ph.D., Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine (Maryland) (1986)
Washington University School of Medicine, St. Louis, MO, 1987, Biomedical Computing and Neurology
Research & Publications
Dr. Winslow’s research interests centered on several focus areas including computational modeling of intracellular signaling, metabolism and electrical excitability in cardiac myocytes; integrative modeling of cardiac function in health and disease; biomedical data representation and database design, and grid-computing and data-sharing.
Selected PublicationsView all on Pubmed
Winslow RL. "Systems biology approaches to understanding the cause and treatment of heart, lung, blood, and sleep disorders." Front Physiol. 2014 Mar 28;5:107. doi: 10.3389/fphys.2014.00107. eCollection 2014. No abstract available.
Gauthier LD, Greenstein JL, O'Rourke B, Winslow RL. "An integrated mitochondrial ROS production and scavenging model: implications for heart failure." Biophys J. 2013 Dec 17;105(12):2832-42. doi: 10.1016/j.bpj.2013.11.007.
Strauss DG, Mewton N, Verrier RL, Nearing BD, Marchlinski FE, Killian T, Moxley J, Tereshchenko LG, Wu KC, Winslow R, Cox C, Spooner PM, Lima JA. "Screening entire health system ECG databases to identify patients at increased risk of death." Circ Arrhythm Electrophysiol. 2013 Dec;6(6):1156-62. doi: 10.1161/CIRCEP.113.000411. Epub 2013 Oct 12.
Gauthier LD, Greenstein JL, Cortassa S, O'Rourke B, Winslow RL. "A computational model of reactive oxygen species and redox balance in cardiac mitochondria." Biophys J. 2013 Aug 20;105(4):1045-56. doi: 10.1016/j.bpj.2013.07.006.
Winslow RL, Greenstein JL. "Extinguishing the sparks." Biophys J. 2013 May 21;104(10):2115-7. doi: 10.1016/j.bpj.2013.04.010. No abstract available.
Activities & Honors
- Award for Digital Heart (Medicine Category), Computerworld/Smithsonian Information Technology Innovations, 1998
- Paul Erhlich Graduate Student Award, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, 1985
- The Richard Skalak Memorial Lecturer, The University of California San Diego, 2002
- American Heart Association
- American Institute for Medical and Biological Engineering
- Biomedical Engineering Society, 2005
- Biophysical Society
- Advisory Council, Stanford University, 2008
National Center for Biomedical Ontology
- Chair, Burroughs Welcome Foundation Careers, 2011
Scientific Interface Committee
- Chair, Related Research Special Emphasis Panel
NHLBI R24 Resource
- Co-Chair, Burroughs Welcome Foundation Careers at the Scientific Interface Committee, 2010
- Editorial Board, Circulation Research
- Editorial Board, Journal of Molecular and Cellular Cardiology
- Editorial Board, IET Systems Biology
- Editorial Board, International Journal of Computational Medicine and Healthcare
- Executive Advisory Board, Simulation and Visualization, University of Utah, 2003
National Institutes of Health Center for Bioelectric Field Modeling
- External Advisory Board, Emory University School of Medicine, 2011
PhD Program in Biomedical Informatics
- Specialty Editor in Chief, Frontiers in Computational Physiology and Medicine