Search the Health Library
Get the facts on diseases, conditions, tests and procedures.
I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
Mary E. McCaul, Ph.D.
Professor of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences
- Professor of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences
- Associate Professor of Medicine
Research & Publications
Dr. McCaul has expertise in human behavioral pharmacology research. Most recently, her laboratory research has focused on alcohol effects in a variety of subject populations, including social drinkers, alcohol-dependent subjects and adult offspring of alcoholics. In addition, she has conducted several large-scale pharmacotherapy trials investigating the effectiveness of a variety of medications for alcohol- and opioid-dependent patients. She is the Principal Investigator on several NIH research projects examining alcohol and drug etiology, interventions and treatment effectiveness.
- McCaul, M.E., Wand, G.S., Eissenberg, T., Rohde, C.A., Cheskin, L.J. Naltrexone alters subjective and psychomotor responses to alcohol in heavy drinking subjects. Neuropsychopharmacology, 2000, 22(5), 480 - 492.
- McCaul, M.E., Wand, G.S., Rohde, C., Lee, S. Serum 6-beta-naltrexol levels are related to alcohol responses in heavy drinkers. Alcoholism: Clinical and Experimental Research, 2000, 24, 1385 û 1391.
- McCaul, M.E., Wand, G.S., Stauffer, R., Lee, S., Rohde, C. Naltrexone dampens ethanol-induced cardiovascular and hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal axis activation. Neuropsychopharmacology, 2001, 25, 537 û 547.
- McCaul, M.E., Svikis, D.S., Moore, R. Predictors of outpatient treatment retention: Demo- graphic versus substance use characteristics. Drug and Alcohol Dependence, 2001, 62, 9 û 17.
- McCaul, M.E., Petry, N.M. The role of psychosocial treatments in pharmacotherapy for alcoholism. American Journal on Addictions, 2003, 12 (Suppl. 1):S41- S52.
Videos & Media
Recent News Articles and Media Coverage
Hopkins Brain Wise Newsletter articles about Dr. McCaul's work: