Search the Health Library
Get the facts on diseases, conditions, tests and procedures.
I Want To...
Find a Doctor
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
Mahadevappa Mahesh, Ph.D.
Chief Physicist, The Johns Hopkins Hospital
Professor of Radiology and Radiological Science
Research Interests: Development of improved methods for radiation dose assessments during pediatric CT scans; Investigation of radiation dose strategies in MDCT; Assessment of multiple-row detector computed tomography (MDCT) technology, with emphasis on image quality and radiation dose ...read more
Dr. Mahadevappa Mahesh is an Associate Professor in the Johns Hopkins Medicine Department of Radiology and Radiological Science and the Division of Cardiology. He is also the Chief Physicist at The Johns Hopkins Hospital. Dr. Mahesh also has a joint appointment in the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Medicine Department of Environmental Health.
His research interests are in medical physics and imaging, particularly in areas of multiple-row detector computed tomography (MDCT), interventional fluoroscopy and digital mammography.
As chief physicist, he oversees the quality assurance program for diagnostic radiology, which includes maintaining compliance with regard to state and federal regulations and ensuring safe use of radiation to patients. He often provides counsel to patients concerned over their radiation exposure from diagnostic x-ray examinations.
He received a B.S. in math and physics and an M.S. in solid-state physics from the University of Mysore in Mysore India. He then completed an M.S. in physics at Marquette University in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, and in 1993 obtained his Ph.D. in medical physics from the Medical College of Wisconsin.
Dr. Mahesh is a fellow of the American Association of Physicists in Medicine, the American College of Radiology, the American College of Medical Physics and the Society of Cardiovascular Computed Tomography. He has authored numerous articles and a textbook in the area of MDCT technology and radiation doses in medical imaging, has lectured extensively in the U.S. and internationally, and serves on the editorial boards of several journals, including the Journal of the American College of Radiology, the Journal of the American Association of Physicists in Medicine, Academic Radiology, and RadioGraphics. He chairs or serves on numerous committees for professional organizations, and is certified by the American Board of Radiology in diagnostic radiological physics.
- Chief Physicist, The Johns Hopkins Hospital
- Lecturer, Whiting School's Engineering and Applied Science Programs for Professional, Johns Hopkins University
- Associate Faculty, Armstrong Institute for Patient Safety and Quality
- Special Research Volunteer, National Institute of Health (NIH) Clinical Center
- Professor of Radiology and Radiological Science
- Professor of Medicine
Departments / Divisions
Centers & Institutes
- Ph.D., Medical College of Wisconsin - Milwaukee (Wisconsin) (1993)
- Diagnostic Radiologic Physics, American Board of Radiology (1996)
Research & Publications
Selected PublicationsView all on Pubmed
- Raman SP, Mahesh M, Blasko RV, Fishman EK. "CT Scan parameters and radiation dose: Practical advice for radiologists." J Am Coll Radiol. 2013 Nov; 10(11):840-6. doi: 10.1016/j.jacr.2013.05.032.
- Sierzenski PR, Linton OW, Amis ES Jr, Courtney DM, Larson PA, Mahesh M, Novelline RA, Frush DP, Mettler FA, Timins JK, Tenforde TS, Boice JD Jr, Brink JA, Bushberg JT, Schauer DA. "Applications of justification and optimization in medical imaging: Examples of clinical guidance for Computed Tomography use in emergency medicine." J Am Coll Radiol. 2013 Oct 12. doi:pii: S1546-1440(13)00618-2. 10.1016/j.jacr.2013.09.023. [Epub ahead of print].
- Sierzenski PR, Linton OW, Amis ES Jr, Courtney DM, Larson PA, Mahesh M, Novelline RA, Frush DP, Mettler FA, Timins JK, Tenforde TS, Boice JD Jr, Brink JA, Bushberg JT, Schauer DA. "Applications of justification and optimization in medical imaging: Examples of clinical guidance for Computed Tomography use in emergency medicine." Ann Emerg Med. 2013 Oct 10. doi:pii: S0196-0644(13)01340-1. 10.1016/j.annemergmed.2013.08.027. [Epub ahead of print].
- Gowdappa HB, Mahesh M, Murthy KV, Narahari MG. "Helicobacter pylori associated vitamin B12 deficiency, pernicious anaemia and subacute combined degeneration of the spinal cord." BMJ Case Rep. 2013 Sep 30; 2013. doi:pii: bcr2013200380. 10.1136/bcr-2013-200380.
- Pindrik J, Huisman TA, Mahesh M, Tekes A, Ahn ES. "Analysis of limited-sequence head computed tomography for children with shunted hydrocephalus: potential to reduce diagnostic radiation exposure." J Neurosurg Pediatr. 2013 Nov; 12(5):491-500. doi: 10.3171/2013.8.PEDS1322. Epub 2013 Sep 20.
Activities & Honors
- Fellow, American College of Medical Physics, 2011
- Fellow, American College of Radiology, 2009
- Distinguished Medical Physicist Award, Indo-American Society of Medical Physicists, 2012
- Travel Award Recipient, Medical College of Wisconsin, 1992 - 1993
- Life Membership, National Registry of Who''s Who, 1999
- Fellow, Society of Cardiovascular Computed Tomography, 2011
- National Merit Scholarship, University of Mysore, 1984 - 1986
- Travel grant from to attend International Conference on Medical Physics, US National Academy’s National Research Council, 2002
- Inducted, Sigma Pi Sigma–Physics Honor Society
- Appointed to the State of Maryland’s Radiation Control Advisory Board, Governor of the State of Maryland, 2002
- Fellow, American Association of Physicists in Medicine, 2007
- Academic Radiology
- Journal of American College of Radiology, 2007
Editor of Technology Talk and Medical Physics Consult columns
- Journal of the American College of Radiology
- Newsletter for the American Association of Physicists in Medicine, 2007
Editorial Board Member
- Radiological Society of North America
Second Vice President