Search the Health Library
Get the facts on diseases, conditions, tests and procedures.
I Want To...
Find a Doctor
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
Armine Smith, M.D.
Assistant Professor of Urology
Languages: English, Armenian, Russian
Expertise: Bladder Cancer, Kidney Cancer, Penile Cancer, Robotic Surgery, Ureteropelvic Junction Obstruction, Urethral Cancer, Urologic Oncology - Carcinoma of the Bladder, Urologic Oncology - Carcinoma of the Kidney, Urologic Oncology - Carcinoma of the Prostate, Urologic Oncology - Carcinoma of the Testis, Urological Oncology, Urology , Urology / Urologic Surgery ...read more
Sibley Memorial Hospital
Appointment Phone: 202-660-5561
5255 Loughboro Road NW
Washington, DC 20016 map
Johns Hopkins Outpatient Center
Appointment Phone: 202-660-5561
601 N. Caroline St.
Urology, 4th Floor
Baltimore, MD 21287 map
Dr. Armine Smith is the director of urologic oncology at Sibley Memorial Hospital and an assistant professor of urology at Johns Hopkins University and George Washington University. She is also a clinical associate of the National Cancer Institute/Urologic Oncology Branch in Bethesda, MD. Dr. Smith’s board certification in urology is pending/scheduled. Dr. Smith practices out of Sibley Memorial Hospital in Washington, D.C. as a Johns Hopkins Community Physician, in addition to the Ballston Medical Center in Arlington, VA. She is affiliated with Sibley Memorial Hospital, Suburban Hospital, Johns Hopkins Hospital, George Washington University Hospital and National Institutes of Health Clinical Center.
Dr. Smith has an expertise in bladder cancer, penile cancer, robotic surgery, urology, urologic surgery and urologic oncology, including carcinomas of the bladder, kidney, prostate and testis.
Dr. Smith earned her medical degree from the University of California - San Francisco. She completed a residency in urology at the Cleveland Clinic, followed by a fellowship in urology at the National Institutes of Health - Credentialing Services Section and a fellowship in urologic oncology at the National Cancer Institute, where she focused on development of personalized targeted therapies for bladder cancer.
Dr. Smith earned the Cleveland Clinic Innovator Award in 2006 and the Cleveland Clinic Housestaff Association Award in 2010, in addition to the John Quale Fellowship Travel Award in 2012. She is a member of the Society of Urologic Oncology, the Society of Women in Urology, the American Urologic Association and the Society of Endourology.
Dr. Smith has contributed to various research, publications and presentations.
- Assistant Professor of Urology
- Director, Johns Hopkins Urologic Oncology at Sibley Memorial Hospital
Departments / Divisions
- Surgery at Sibley Memorial Hospital
- MD, University of California - San Francisco (2005)
- Cleveland Clinic / Urology (2011)
- National Institutes of Health-Credentialing Services Section / Urology (2014)
- Pending/Scheduled / Urology
Research & Publications
Selected PublicationsView all on Pubmed
Kerr BA, Miocinovic R, Smith AK, West XZ, Watts KE, Alzayed AW, Klink JC, Mir MC, Sturey T, Hansel DE, Heston WD, Stephenson AJ, Klein EA, Byzova TV. CD117+ cells in the circulation are predictive of advanced prostate cancer. Oncotarget. 2015 Jan 30;6(3):1889-97.
Smith AK, Matin SF, Jarrett TW. Wein: Campbell-Walsh Urology, 11th ed., Chapter 58/Urothelial Tumors of the Upper Urinary Tract and Ureter. Elsevier 2013
Iwai A, Bourboulia D, Mollapour M, Jensen-Taubman S, Lee S, Donnelly AC, Yoshida S, Miyajima N, Tsutsumi S, Smith AK, Sun D, Wu X, Blagg BS, Trepel JB, Stetler-Stevenson WG, Neckers L. Combined inhibition of Wee1 and Hsp90 activates intrinsic apoptosis in cancer cells. Cell Cycle. 2012 Oct 1;11(19):3649-55.
Smith AK, Stephenson AJ, Lane BR, Larson BT, Thomas AA, Gong MC, Jones SJ, Campbell SC, Hansel DE. Inadequacy of biopsy for diagnosis of upper tract urothelial carcinoma: Implications for conservative management. Urology. 2011 Jul;78(1):82-6.
Kerr BA, Miocinovic R, Smith AK, Klein EA, Byzova TV. Comparison of tumor and microenvironment secretomes in plasma and in platelets during prostate cancer growth in a xenograft model. Neoplasia. 2010 May;12(5):388-96
Activities & Honors
- John Quale Fellowship Travel Award, 2012
- Loan Repayment Award, NIH Intramural, 2011 - 2014
- Cleveland Clinic Housestaff Association Award, 2010
- Cleveland Clinic Innovator Award, 2006
- UCSF Alumni Scholarship for Academic Excellence, 2005
- Chela Scholarship, University of California in San Francisco, 2003
- Cum Laude, University of Southern California, 2001
- Summa Cum Laude, Los Angeles Community College, 1999
- Edyth Dellacorte Scholarship for Excellence in Biology, 1999
- Full-time Dean's and President's Honors, Los Angeles Community College, 1998 - 1999
- Society of Urologic Oncology, 2011
- Society of Women in Urology, 2010
- American Urologic Association, 2006
- Society of Endourology, 2006 - 2011
- Golden Key National Honor Society, 2001
- Alpha Epsilon Delta Premedical Honor Society, 1999 - 2001
- Physiology Honors Club, 1995 - 1996