Search the Health Library
Get the facts on diseases, conditions, tests and procedures.
I Want To...
Find a Doctor
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
Liliana D. Florea, M.Sc., Ph.D.
Associate Professor of Medicine
Research Interests: miRNA genomics and peptide-based vaccine design; Gene annotation; Alternative splicing; Comparative and evolutionary genomics; Algorithms and tools for cDNA and genomic sequence alignment ...read more
Before joining the Johns Hopkins faculty in 2011, Dr. Florea served on the faculty at the George Washington University. Previously, she was a member of the team of scientists at Celera Genomics that produced the first sequence of the human genome. Her work has been recognized with a Sloan Research Fellowship in Computational and Evolutionary Molecular Biology, and she received several early career awards while at the George Washington University. Dr. Florea holds a PhD degree from the Pennsylvania State University.
- Associate Professor of Medicine
Centers & Institutes
- McKusick-Nathans Institute of Genetic Medicine
- Computational Biology Consulting Core
- B.S., University of Bucharest (Romania) (1994)
- M.Sc., Pennsylvania State University (Pennsylvania) (1998)
- Ph.D., Pennsylvania State University (Pennsylvania) (2000)
Research & Publications
Florea Lab Research http://ccb.jhu.edu/people/florea/research/
Core Facility: Computational Biology Consulting Core
Technology Expertise KeywordsBioinformatics, computational biology, RNA-seq
Selected PublicationsView all on Pubmed
- Song L, Florea L, Langmead B. Lighter: fast and memory-efficient sequencing error correction without counting, Genome Biol. 2014; 15:509.
- Bao W, Florea L, Wu N, Wang Z, Banaudha K, Qian J, Houzet L, Kumar R, Kumar A. Loss of nuclear PTEN in HCV-infected human hepatocytes, Infectious Agents and Cancer, 2014; 9:23.
- Florea L, Song L, Salzberg SL. Thousands of exon skipping events differentiate among splicing patterns in sixteen human tissues, F1000Research 2013, 2:188.
- Florea L, Salzberg SL. Genome-guided transcriptome assembly in the age of next generation sequencing, IEEE/ACM Trans. Computational Biology and Bioinformatics 2013; 10(5):1234-40.
- Song L, Florea L. CLASS: Constrained transcript assembly of RNA-seq reads, BMC Bionformatics 2013; 14(Suppl 5):S14.
- Eswaran J, Horvath A, Godbole S, Reddy SD, Mudvari P, Ohshiro K, Cyanam D, Nair S, Fuqua SAW, Polyak K, Florea LD, Kumar R. RNA sequencing of cancer reveals novel splicing alterations, Sci. Rep. 2013;3:1689.
- Florea L, Souvorov A, Kalbfleisch TS, Salzberg SL. Genome assembly has a major impact on gene content: a comparison of annotation in two Bos taurus assemblies. PLoS ONE. 2011; 6(6): e21400.
- Walenz B, Florea L*. Sim4db and leaff: Utilities for fast batch spliced alignment and sequence indexing. Bioinformatics. 2011; 27(13):1869-70.
Academic Affiliations & Courses
Graduate Program Affiliation
Computational Biology Consulting Core