Search the Health Library
Get the facts on diseases, conditions, tests and procedures.
I Want To...
Find a Doctor
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
Kavita K Patel, M.D.
Medical Director, Sibley Primary Care
Specializes in: Adults (18+ years)
Expertise: Internal Medicine, Primary Care
Sibley Primary Care
5215 Loughboro Road N.W.
Washington, DC 20016 map
Dr. Kavita K. Patel is the medical director of Sibley Primary Care, located in Sibley Memorial Hospital’s Medical Building in Washington, D.C. Dr. Patel is board certified in internal medicine.
Dr. Patel earned her medical degree from the University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio. She completed a residency in internal medicine at Oregon Health & Sciences University Hospital.
Dr. Patel is a nonresident senior fellow at the Brookings Institution, where she was previously a managing director for clinical transformation and delivery and lead research on health care financing, physician payment reform, health care workforce development and delivery system reform. She served in the Obama Administration as the director of policy for the Office of Intergovernmental Affairs and Public Engagement in the White House. Dr. Patel was also a senior aide to Valerie Jarrett, President Obama’s senior advisor, and played a critical role in policy development and evaluation of policy initiatives relating to health reform, financial regulatory reform and economic recovery issues. Dr. Patel worked on Senator Edward Kennedy’s staff as a deputy staff director on health. During this time, she was a policy analyst and was part of the senior staff for the Health, Education, Labor and Pensions (HELP) Committee.
Dr. Patel has contributed to numerous publications and book chapters on health care reform and policy. Her research in health care quality and community approaches to mental illness have earned national recognition. She worked as a researcher at the RAND Corporation and is a former Robert Wood Johnson Foundation Clinical Scholar. Dr. Patel has also been a frequent guest expert on CBS, NBC and MSNBC.
- Medical Director, Sibley Primary Care
Departments / Divisions
- Medicine at Sibley Memorial Hospital
- MD, University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio (1999)
- Oregon Health & Sciences University Hospital / Internal Medicine (2003)
- American Board of Internal Medicine / Internal Medicine (2015)
Activities & Honors
- Deputy Staff Director, Senate Health, Education, Labor, and Pensions (HELP) Committee
- Director, New America Foundation
Health Policy Program
- Director of Policy, Office of Intergovernmental Affairs and Public Engagement
- Managing Director for Clinical Transformation and Delivery, Brookings Institution
Engelberg Center for Health Care Reform