Search the Health Library
Get the facts on diseases, conditions, tests and procedures.
I Want To...
Find a Doctor
Find a doctor at The Johns Hopkins Hospital, Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center or Johns Hopkins Community Physicians.
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
Charles Hugh Brown, IV, M.D.
Assistant Professor of Anesthesiology and Critical Care Medicine
Languages: English, Spanish
Research Interests: Post-operative delirium; Improving post-surgical outcomes in high-risk patients.; Cerebral autoregulation
Dr. Charles Brown is an assistant professor of anesthesiology and critical care medicine at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine. His area of clinical expertise is cardiac anesthesia.
Dr. Brown received his undergraduate degree from Harvard University. He earned his M.D. at the Johns Hopkins School of Medicine. He also completed a residency in emergency medicine, a residency in anesthesiology and a fellowship at Johns Hopkins.
His research interests include quality and outcomes regarding perioperative management of older adults, specifically focused on post-operative delirium, cognitive change and transfusion practices.
Dr. Brown received a two-year Research Career Development Core Award from the NIH-funded Johns Hopkins Claude D. Pepper Older Americans Independence Center. The award supports ongoing research on how baseline frailty in cardiac surgery patients affects postoperative delirium and functional change in older adults, along with potential interventions.
- Assistant Professor of Anesthesiology and Critical Care Medicine
Departments / Divisions
- Anesthesiology and Critical Care Medicine - Adult Cardiothoracic Anesthesiology
- MD, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine (2005)
- Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine / Emergency Medicine (2007)
- Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine / Anesthesiology (2010)
- Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine / Anesthesiology (2011)
- American Board of Anesthesiology / Anesthesiology (2011, 2021)
Research & Publications
Dr. Brown’s research areas of interest are quality and outcomes regarding perioperative management of older adults, specifically focused on post-operative delirium, cognitive change and transfusion practices.