I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
I Want to...
Raquel Gomez Hernandez, M.D.
Director of Medical Education, Johns Hopkins All Children's Hospital
Assistant Professor of Pediatrics
Research Interests: Childhood obesity; Childhood nutrition; Center-based child care; Preschool weight risks
Dr. Raquel G. Hernandez is an assistant professor of pediatrics at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine. In addition to leading the pediatric residency program at Johns Hopkins All Children’s Hospital, Dr. Hernandez delivers patient care at the 259-bed hospital and participates in clinical research.
Her clinical interests include general pediatric and adolescent medicine, as well as childhood nutrition and obesity.
At Johns Hopkins All Children's Hospital, Dr. Hernandez is the director of the Office of Medical Education. In this role, she has been instrumental in developing all aspects of the medical residency program and in inaugurating the program’s first class of physician leaders. Dr. Hernandez also developed and implemented the framework for the Johns Hopkins All Children's Hospital Pediatric and Adolescent Medicine Clinic to be a leading practice in clinical care, research and education.
Her work involves assessing the needs of residents to enhance the care of patients with limited English proficiency. She also is an ongoing contributor to the Johns Hopkins Internet Physician Education Assessment Curriculum, an electronic pediatrics-focused training program used in more than 30 pediatric residency programs across the U.S.
Dr. Hernandez completed her medical school training, pediatric residency and fellowship in academic general pediatrics at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine. During her fellowship she also earned a master of public health degree with an emphasis on nutrition from the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health.
Her research currently focuses on prevention and management of childhood obesity. She has identified factors that enhance obesity prevention and treatment efforts in within the pediatric primary care setting, with a focus on the role of parental perceptions of child weight, parental participation and modifiable factors in obesity prevention.
- Director of Medical Education, Johns Hopkins All Children's Hospital
- Assistant Professor of Pediatrics
Departments / Divisions
- B.S., State University of New York (Binghamton) (New York) (1999)
- M.D., Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine (Maryland) (2003)
Research & Publications
Dr. Hernandez’s research focuses largely on the prevention and management of childhood obesity.
She has identified factors that enhance obesity prevention and treatment efforts within the pediatric primary care setting, with a focus on the role of parental perceptions of child weight, parental participation and modifiable factors in obesity prevention.
At the 2014 annual meeting of the Pediatric Academic Societies, Dr. Hernandez presented research demonstrating that few overweight school-age children are able to outgrow their weight problems.
At Johns Hopkins All Children's Hospital, Dr. Hernandez is working on a grant-funded project to delineate socio-ecologic factors that promote return to healthy weight. She has also introduced an obesity prevention and treatment model to the resident clinic.
Her future areas of research include describing the genetic and biochemical markers of early childhood obesity to target prevention strategies in the general pediatric clinic setting.
Activities & Honors
- Fellow, American Academy of Pediatrics, 2010
- Phi Kappa Phi Honor Society, University of South Florida, 2009
- Travel Award, National Institutes of Health, National Medical Association Annual Conference, Honolulu Hawaii, 2007
- Diplomate, American Board of Pediatrics, 2006
- National Childhood Obesity Foundation
- Academic Pediatric Association, 2006
- American Academy of Pediatrics, 2003
- Medical Student Assessment Program, Johns Hopkins All Children's Hospital, 2011
- Curriculum Committee, Johns Hopkins All Children's Hospital, 2011
- Graduate Medical Education Committee, Johns Hopkins All Children's Hospital, 2011
- Healthcare Committee, National Childhood Obesity Foundation, 2010
- Obesity Leadership Workgroup, American Academy of Pediatrics, 2009
- Reviewer, Integrated Cardiovascular Health and Risk Reduction (Pediatrics guideline),, National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute, 2008