Dr. Garza runs a molecular biology laboratory that studies skin stem cells and wound healing with an emphasis on identifying the next generation of wound therapeutics and diagnostics.
While at the University of Pennsylvania, Dr. Garza and Dr. George Cotsarelis discovered that prostaglandins might be the catalyst that causes baldness. They also pinpointed the receptor on the prostaglandin cell, making it a target for possible future therapies for male pattern baldness.
Our group is interested in investigating hypotheses on basic skin questions that are directly relevant to skin disease in humans. We hope that through rigorous hypothesis-driven research into skin biology, we will gain important insights that will directly improve patient care.
Our model system is the skin. To answer basic questions regarding stem cell biology and regeneration, we choose the skin because of its accessibility, the depth of current knowledge, and the complexity of epithelial/mesenchymal interactions in the context of relevant vasculature, nerves and hematopoietic cells.
The current focus of the lab is what controls and maintains skin identity. Regions of our skin are remarkably diverse in function and features. Despite constant cellular turnover, each area’s features are remarkably maintained. We study how, under normal conditions, identity is actively maintained and how it might be manipulated. We also study how, during wounding, skin identity is typically lost (i.e., scar), but in rare situations complete regeneration occurs.
Understanding these questions will have broad significance to regeneration and stem cell biology in multiple organs. Understanding wound healing programs that re-initiate embryonic developmental patterns might eventually lead to insights on how to trigger the re-growth of a severed human limb, for example.
Effects of Antibiotics and Acne on the Skin Microbiome
- Nelson AM, Loy DE, Lawson JA, Katseff AS, Fitzgerald GA, Garza LA. "Prostaglandin D2 inhibits wound-induced hair follicle neogenesis through the receptor, Gpr44." J Invest Dermatol. 2013 Apr;133(4):881-9. doi: 10.1038/jid.2012.398. Epub 2012 Nov 29.
- Yang NB, Garza LA, Foote CE, Kang S, Meyerle JH. "High prevalence of stump dermatoses 38 years or more after amputation." Arch Dermatol. 2012 Nov;148(11):1283-6. doi: 10.1001/archdermatol.2012.3004.
- Garza LA, Liu Y, Yang Z, Alagesan B, Lawson JA, Norberg SM, Loy DE, Zhao T, Blatt HB, Stanton DC, Carrasco L, Ahluwalia G, Fischer SM, FitzGerald GA, Cotsarelis G. "Prostaglandin D2 inhibits hair growth and is elevated in bald scalp of men with androgenetic alopecia." Sci Transl Med. 2012 Mar 21;4(126):126ra34. doi: 10.1126/scitranslmed.3003122.
- Christman AL, Selvin E, Margolis DJ, Lazarus GS, Garza LA. "Hemoglobin A1c predicts healing rate in diabetic wounds." J Invest Dermatol. 2011 Oct;131(10):2121-7. doi: 10.1038/jid.2011.176. Epub 2011 Jun 23.
- Garza LA, Yang CC, Zhao T, Blatt HB, Lee M, He H, Stanton DC, Carrasco L, Spiegel JH, Tobias JW, Cotsarelis G. "Bald scalp in men with androgenetic alopecia retains hair follicle stem cells but lacks CD200-rich and CD34-positive hair follicle progenitor cells." J Clin Invest. 2011 Feb;121(2):613-22. doi: 10.1172/JCI44478. Epub 2011 Jan 4.
- Cunninham, D, Spychala K, McLarren KW, Garza LA, Boerkoel CF, Herman GE. "Developmental Expression Pattern of the Cholesterogenic Enzyme NSDHL and Negative Selection of NSDHL-deficient Cells in the Heterozygous Bpa1H/+ Mouse." Molecular Genetics and Metabolism. 2009 Dec;98(4):356-66. doi: 10.1016/j.ymgme.2009.06.016. Epub 2009 Jul 4.
- Wang F*, Garza LA*, Cho S, Kafi R, Hammberg C, Quan T, Hamilton T, Mayes M, Ratanatharathorn V, Voorhees JJ, Fisher GJ, Kang S. "Effect of Increased Pigmentation on the Antifibrotic Response of Human Skin to UV-A1 Photothereapy." Archives of Dermatology. 2008 Jul;144(7):851-8. doi: 10.1001/archderm.144.7.851. *Authors Contributed Equally
- Wang F*, Garza LA*, Kang S, Varani J, Orringer JS, Fisher GJ, Voorhees JJ. "In Vivo Stimulation of De Novo Collagen Production Caused by Cross-linked Hyaluronic Acid Dermal Filler Injections in Photodamaged Human Skin." Archives of Dermatology. 2007 Feb;143(2):155-63. *Authors Contributed Equally
- Hanakawa Y, Lin C, Garza L, Sugai M, Schechter N, Amagai M, Stanley J. "Molecular Mechanisms for Specific Cleavage of Desmoglein 1 by Exfoliative Toxins." Journal of Clinical Investigation. 2002 Jul;110(1):53-60.
- Garza LA and Birnbaum MJ. "Trafficking of the Insulin-Responsive Aminopetidase (IRAP) in 3T3-L1 Adipocytes." Journal of Biological Chemistry. 2000 Jan 28;275(4):2560-7.