Dr. Tran’s research focuses on the improvement of clinical radiotherapy for the treatment of primarily prostate, as well as adrenal, bladder, penile, testicular and urethral cancer. To learn how tumors arise, how they spread and why some cancers are resistant to treatment, he studies the epithelial plasticity - transitions of epithelial and mesenchymal cellular states in transgenic mouse models.
Dr. Tran and his laboratory focus their studies on epithelial plasticity - the transitions between epithelial and mesenchymal cellular states and the implications of these transitions for tumorigenesis, cancer treatment resistance and radiation-induced fibrosis. Their research utilizes a variety of inducible transgenic mouse models and non-invasive rodent imaging.
One of these transitions, known as epithelial-mesenchymal transition (EMT), is a conserved developmental program that when inappropriately activated in post-natal life has been associated with organ fibrosis, tumorigenesis and metastasis. A major focus of the laboratory is the use of inducible mouse models to simulate molecularly targeted therapies for malignancies and radiation induced late effects. Another focus of the laboratory is the study of novel targeted agents as tumor selective radiosensitizers to increase the therapeutic ratio of clinical radiotherapy.
The Tran lab is committed to translating discoveries from the laboratory bench into novel cancer prevention, diagnostic and treatment approaches that can be tested in the clinic.
Radiation and Androgen Ablation for Prostate Cancer
MRI for Assessing Prostate Cancer Response
Stereotactic Body Radiation with Nelfinavir for Oligometastases
Clinical Trial Keywords:
Prostate cancer, Radiation therapy
- Tran PT*,+, Shroff EH*, Burns TF*, Thiyagarajan S, Das ST, Zabuawala T, Chen J, Cho YJ, Luong R, Tamayo P, Salih T, Aziz K, Adam SJ, Vicent S, Nielsen CH, Withofs N, Sweet-Cordero A, Gambhir SS, Rudin CM, Felsher DW+. "Twist1 suppresses senescence programs and thereby accelerates and maintains mutant Kras-induced lung tumorigenesis." PLoS Genet. 2012;8(5):e1002650. doi: 10.1371/journal.pgen.1002650. Epub 2012 May 24. * - these authors contributed equally; and + - corresponding authors.
- Timothy F. Burns, Irina Dobromilskaya, Sara C. Murphy, Rajendra P. Gajula, Saravanan Thiyagarajan, Sarah S. Chatley, Khaled Aziz, Yoon-Jae Cho, Phuoc T. Tran, and Charles M. Rudin. Inhibition of TWIST1 Leads to Activation of Oncogene-Induced Senescence in Oncogene Driven Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer. Mol Cancer Res 11 (2013) 329-338.
- Tran PT, Bendapudi PK, Lin HJ, Choi P, Koh S, Chen J, Horng G, Hughes NP, Schwartz LH, Miller VA, Kawashima T, Kitamura T, Paik D, Felsher DW. "Survival and Death Signals Can Predict Tumor Response to Therapy After Oncogene Inactivation." Sci Transl Med. 2011 Oct 5;3(103):103ra99. doi: 10.1126/scitranslmed.3002018.
- Jason A. Efstathiou, Deborah S. Nassif, Todd R. McNutt, C. Bob Bogardus, Walter Bosch, Jeff Carlin, Ron C. Chen, Henry Chou, Dave Eggert, Benedick Fraass, Joel Goldwein, Karen E. Hoffman, Ken Hotz, Margie Hunt, Marc Kessler, Colleen A. F. Lawton, Chuck Mayo, Jeff M. Michalski, Sasa Mutic, Louis Potters, Chris M. Rose, Howard M. Sandler, Greg Sharp, Wolfgang Tomé, Phuoc T. Tran, Terry Wall, Anthony L. Zietman, Peter E. Gabriel, Justin E. Bekelman. Practice-Based Evidence to Evidence-Based Practice: Building the National Radiation Oncology Registry. J Oncol Pract 9 (2013) e90-95.
- Aaron T. Wild*, Nishant Gandhi*,Sivarajan T. Chettiar, Khaled Aziz, Rajendra P. Gajula, Russell D. Williams, Rachit Kumar, Kekoa Taparra, Jing Zeng, Jessica A, Cades, Esteban Velarde, Siddharth Menon, Jean-Francois Geschwind, David Cosgrove, Timothy M. Pawlik, Anirban Maitra, John Wong, Russell K. Hales, Michael Torbenson, Joseph M. Herman+, Phuoc T. Tran+. Concurrent versus sequential sorafenib therapy in combination with radiation for hepatocellular carcinoma. PLoS ONE 8 (2013) e65726.
- Rajendra P. Gajula*, Sivarajan T. Chettiar*, Russell D. Williams, Saravanan Thiyagarajan, Yoshinori Kato, Khaled Aziz, Ruoqi Wang, Nishant Gandhi, Aaron T. Wild, Farhad Vesuna, Jinfang Ma, Tarek Salih, Jessica Cades, Elana Fertig, Shyam Biswal, Timothy F. Burns, Christine Chung, Charles M. Rudin, Joseph M. Herman, Russell K. Hales, Venu Raman, Steven An, Phuoc T. Tran. The twist box domain is required for Twist1-induced prostate cancer metastasis. Mol Cancer Res 11 (2013) 1387-1400**. PMID: 23982216. PMCID: PMC3833995. * - these authors contributed equally. ** - Cover illustration and Highlighted in Mol Cancer Res.
- Zhou H, Rodriguez M, van den Haak F, Nelson G, Jogani R, Xu J, Zhu X, Xian Y, Tran PT, Felsher DW, Keall PJ, Graves EE. "Development of a MicroCT-Based Image-Guided Conformal Radiotherapy System for Small Animals." Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2010 Sep 1;78(1):297-305. doi: 10.1016/j.ijrobp.2009.11.008. Epub 2010 Apr 13.
- Nielsen CH, Kimura RH, Withofs N, Tran PT, Miao Z, Cochran JR, Cheng Z, Felsher D, Kjær A, Willmann JK, Gambhir SS. "PET Imaging of Tumor Neovascularization in a Transgenic Mouse Model with a Novel 64Cu-DOTA-Knottin Peptide." Cancer Res. 2010 Nov 15;70(22):9022-30. doi: 10.1158/0008-5472.CAN-10-1338. Epub 2010 Nov 9.