Search the Health Library
Get the facts on diseases, conditions, tests and procedures.
I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
Viachaslau Mikalayevich Barodka, M.D.
Assistant Professor of Anesthesiology and Critical Care Medicine
Languages: English, Belarussian, Russian
Research Interests: Cardiovascular physiology; Blood transfusion; Vascular stiffness
Request an Appointment
I live in Maryland
Request an appointment through My
I live outside of Maryland
I live outside of the United States
The Johns Hopkins Hospital (Main Entrance)
Appointment Phone: 410-955-6353
1800 Orleans St.
Sheikh Zayed Tower
Baltimore, MD 21287 map
Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center
Appointment Phone: 410-955-6353
4940 Eastern Avenue
Baltimore, MD 21224 map
Dr. Viachaslau Barodka is an assistant professor of anesthesiology and critical care medicine at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine. His area of clinical expertise is cardiac anesthesiology.
Dr. Barodka earned his M.D. from Belarussian State Medical Institute in Minsk, Belarus. He completed a residency in orthopaedic surgery at City Pediatric Outpatient Clinic No. 17 in Minsk and another residency in anesthesiology at Thomas Jefferson University Hospital. Dr. Barodka performed a fellowship in anesthesiology at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine. Dr. Barodka joined the Johns Hopkins faculty in 2009.
His research interests include vascular stiffness, blood transfusion and cardiovascular physiology.
Dr. Barodka served as the reviewer for the Journal Anesthesia and Analgesia, section on Cardiovascular Anesthesia, in May 2009. He was recognized by Jefferson Medical School with the Joseph L. Seltzer Alumni Award to the graduating resident in recognition of outstanding academic achievement and the Arthur B. Tarrow, M.D. Award for the contribution to the field of anesthesiology research. He is a member of American Society of Anesthesiologists and the American Society of Cardiovascular Anesthesiologists.
- Assistant Professor of Anesthesiology and Critical Care Medicine
Departments / Divisions
- Anesthesiology and Critical Care Medicine - Adult Cardiothoracic Anesthesiology
- MD, Belarussian State Medical Institute (2000)
- City Pediatric Outpatient Clinic No 17 / Orthopaedic Surgery (2001)
- Thomas Jefferson University Hospital / Anesthesiology (2008)
- Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine / Anesthesiology (2009)
- American Board of Anesthesiology / Anesthesiology (2009, 2019)
Research & Publications
Dr. Barodka's research interests include vascular stiffness, blood transfusion and cardiovascular physiology.
- Salaria ON, Barodka VM, Hogue CW, Berkowitz DE, Ness PM, Wasey JO, Frank S. "Impaired red blood cell deformability after transfusion of stored allogeneic blood but not autologous salvaged blood in cardiac surgery patients." Anesth Analg. 2014
- Barodka VM, Nagababu E, Mohanty JG, Nyhan D, Berkowitz DE, Rifkind JM, Strouse JJ. "New insights provided by a comparison of impaired deformability with erythtocyte oxidative stress for sickle cell disease." Blood Cells Mol Dis. 2013 Nov 15.
- Frank SM, Barodka VM. "In response." Anesth Analg. 2013 Nov;117(5):1260-1.
- Barodka V, Mohanty JG, Mustafa AK, Santhanam L, Nyhan A, Bhunia AK, Sikka G, Nyhan D, Berkowitz DE, Rifkind JM. "Nitroprusside inhibits calcium-impairment of red blood cell deformability." Transfusion. 2014 Feb;54(2):434-44
- Frank SM, Abazyan B, Ono M, Hogue CW, Cohen DB, Berkowitz DE, Ness PM, Barodka VM. "Decreased erythrocyte deformability after transfusion and the effects of erythrocyte storage duration." Anesth Analg. 2013 May;116(5):975-81
- Barodka V, Nyhan D, Berkowitz D. "About fACE: perioperative use of angiotensin-converting enzyme inhibitors." Circulation. 2012 Jul 17;126(3):249-51.
- Steppan J, Tran H, Benjo AM, Pellakuru L, Barodka V, Ryoo S, Nyhan SM, Lussman C, Gupta G, White AR, Daher JP, Shoukas AA, Levine BD, Berkowitz DE. "Alagebrium in combination with exercise ameliorates age-associated ventricular and vascular stiffness." Exp Gerontol. 2012 Aug; 47(8):565-72.
- Mustafa AK, Sikka G, Gazi SK, Steppan J, Jung SM, Bhunia AK, Barodka VM, Gazi FK, Barrow RK, Wang R, Amzel LM, Berkowitz DE, Snyder SH. "Hydrogen sulfide as endothelium-derived hyperpolarizing factor sulfhydrates potassium channels." Circ Res. 2011 Nov 11;109(11):1259-68.
- Steppan J, Barodka V, Berkowitz DE, Nyhan D. "Vascular Stiffness and increased pulse pressure in the aging cardiovascular system." Cardiol Res Pract. 2011;2011:263585.
- Barodka VM, Joshi BL, Berkowitz DE, Hogue CW Jr, Nyhan D. "Review article: implications of vascular aging." Anesth Analg. 2011 May;112(5):1048-60.
- Barodka V, Silvestry S, Zhao N, Jiao X, Whellan DJ, Diehl J, Sun JZ. "Preoperative renin-angiotensin system inhibitors protect renal function in aging patients undergoing cardiac surgery." J Surg Res. 2011 May 15;167(2):e63-9.
- Barodka VM, Acheampong E, Powell G, Lobach L, Logan DA, Parveen Z, Armstead V, Mukhtar M. "Antimicrobial effects of liquid anesthetic isoflurane on Candida albicans." Journal of Translational Medicine. 2006 Nov 9; 4:46.
Activities & Honors
- Intraoperative Council American Society of Echocardiography Travel Grant Award, 2009
- Joseph L. Seltzer Alumni Award to the graduating resident in recognition of outstanding academic achievement, Jefferson Medical College, 2008
- Arthur B. Tarrow, MD Award for the contribution to the field of anesthesiology research, Jefferson Medical College, 2008
- 2nd place at the Pennsylvania Anesthesiology Resident Research Conference, 2008
- American Society of Anesthesiologists
- American Society of Cardiovascular Anesthesiologists
- Compensation plan committee, Department of Anesthesia, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine
- Reviewer, Journal Anesthesia and Analgesia, 2009
Section on Cardiovascular Anesthesia