I Want To...
Find a Doctor
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
Elizabeth Virginia Ratchford, M.D.
Director, Johns Hopkins Center for Vascular Medicine
Assistant Professor of Medicine
Expertise: Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm, Aneurysms, Angioplasty, Aortic Aneurysms, Arterial Aneurysm, Arterial Occlusive Disease, Arterial Ultrasound, Atherosclerosis, Atherosclerosis Imaging, Cardiovascular Disease, Carotid Artery Disease, Carotid Artery Stenosis, Carotid Ultrasound, Cerebrovascular Diseases, Claudication, Deep Vein Thrombosis (DVT), Dyslipidemia, Extractional Atherectomy, Fibromuscular Dysplasia (FMD), High Cholesterol, Hypertension, Intermittent Claudication, Non-Invasive Flow Studies (NIFS), Peripheral Arterial Aneurysms, Peripheral Arterial Disease, Peripheral Vascular Disease, Renal Artery Disease, Risk Factor Modification, Stenting, Stroke, Subclinical Atherosclerosis, Thromboembolic Disease, Vascular Disease , Vascular Medicine, Vascular Ultrasound, Venous Disease, Venous Thromboembolism ...read more
Research Interests: Peripheral arterial disease
Request an Appointment
Johns Hopkins Medicine - Green Spring Station
Appointment Phone: 410-955-5165
Green Spring Station
10755 Falls Road
Pavilion I Suite 360
Lutherville, MD 21093 map
Johns Hopkins Medicine - White Marsh
Appointment Phone: 443-997-0270
4924 Campbell Boulevard
Nottingham, MD 21236 map
Dr. Elizabeth Ratchford is an assistant professor of medicine at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine. Her areas of clinical expertise include vascular medicine. Dr. Ratchford serves as the director of the Johns Hopkins Center for Vascular Medicine.
Dr. Ratchford received her M.D. from the Yale University School of Medicine. She completed her residency at New York-Presbyterian Hospital/Columbia University.
Her research interests include peripheral arterial disease.
Dr. Ratchford has been recognized by several honors, including the Merck Book Award from Yale University School of Medicine in 2000. She is a member of several professional organizations, including the American Heart Association, the Vascular Disease Foundation and the Society for Vascular Medicine.
- Director, Johns Hopkins Center for Vascular Medicine
- Assistant Professor of Medicine
- MD, Yale University School of Medicine (2000)
- New York-Presbyterian Hospital/Columbia / Internal Medicine (2003)
- American Board of Internal Medicine / Internal Medicine (2003)
Research & Publications
Clinical Trial KeywordsClaudication, Peripheral vascular disease, Vascular disease, Peripheral arterial disease
Selected PublicationsMaiden Name - Elizabeth V. Harrold
1. Clark AS, Harrold EV, Fast AS. Anabolic-androgenic steroid effects on the sexual
behavior of intact male rats. Hormones and Behavior 1997; 31(1):35-46.
2. Clark AS, Harrold EV. Comparison of the effects of stanozolol, oxymetholone, and testosterone cypionate on the sexual behavior of castrated male rats. Behavioral Neuroscience 1997; 111(6):1368-1374.
3. Harrold EV, Turner BC, Matloff ET, Pathare P, Beinfield M, McKhann C, Ward BA, Haffty BG. Local recurrence in the conservatively treated breast cancer patient: A correlation with age and family history. Cancer Journal from Scientific American 1998; 4(5):302-307.
4. Turner BC, Harrold E, Matloff E, Smith T, Gumbs AA, Beinfield M, Ward B, Skolnick M, Glazer PN, Thomas A, Haffty BG. BRCA1/2 germline mutations in locally recurrent breast cancer patients after lumpectomy and radiation therapy: Implications for breast-conserving management in patients with BRCA1/2 mutations. Journal of Clinical Oncology 1999; 17(10):3017-3024.
5. Haffty BG, Harrold E, Khan AJ, Pathare P, Smith TE, Turner BC, Glazer PN,
Ward B, Carter D, Matloff E, Bale AE, Alvarez-Franco M. Outcome of conservatively managed early-onset breast cancer by BRCA1/2 status. Lancet 2002; 359(9316):1471-1477.
6. Weinberger J, Rundback JH, Ratchford EV. Regulatory approval of peripheral endovascular revascularization devices in the United States: Is the horse still in the barn? Am Journal of Ther 2005; 12:186-191.
7. Rundek T, Hundle R, Ratchford E, Ramas R, Sciacca R, DiTullio MR, Boden-Albala B, Miyake Y, Elkind MS, Sacco RL, Homma S. Endothelial dysfunction is associated with carotid plaque: A cross-sectional study from the population-based Northern Manhattan Study. BMC Cardiovas Disord 2006; 6(1):35.
8. Ratchford EV, Morrissey NJ. Aortoenteric fistula: A late complication of endovascular repair of an inflammatory abdominal aortic aneurysm. Vasc Endovascular Surg 2006 Dec - 2007 Jan; 40(6): 487-491.
9. Salameh MJ, Rundek T, Boden-Albala B, Jin Z, Ratchford EV, DiTullio MR, Homma S, Sacco RL. Self-reported peripheral arterial disease predicts future vascular events in a community-based cohort. J Gen Intern Med 2008;23(9):1423-1428.
10. Ratchford EV, Jin Z, Di Tullio M, Homma S, Salameh M, Gan R, Boden-Albala B, Sacco RL, Rundek T. Carotid bruit for detection of hemodynamically significant carotid stenosis: the Northern Manhattan Study. Neurol Res 2009 Jan 7.
11. Ratchford EV, Salameh MJ, Morrissey NJ. Underestimation of carotid stenosis in bradycardia. Vascular 2009;17(1):51-54.
1. Salameh MJ, Ratchford EV. Update on Peripheral Arterial Disease and Claudication Rehabilitation in The Dysvascular and Diabetic Patient: Update in Diagnosis, Treatment and Rehabilitation; Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation Clinics of North America. (Hakimi K ed) Saunders / Elsevier, Philadelphia, PA. 2009 20(4): 627-656.
2. Stewart KJ, Ratchford EV, Williams MA. Exercise for Restoring Health and Preventing Vascular Disease in Prevention of Cardiovascular Disease; Companion to Braunwalds Heart Disease (Blumenthal RS, Foody JM, Wong ND, Eds). In press
1. Salameh M, Rundek T, Jacoby D, Jin Z, Ratchford E, et al. Self-reported peripheral arterial disease impacts risk of combined vascular events beyond Framingham Risk in the Northern Manhattan Study. Proceedings of the American College of Cardiology Meeting 2006.
2. Salameh M, Rundek T, Boden-Albala B, Jin Z, Ratchford E, et al. Self-reported peripheral arterial disease predicts future vascular events in the Northern Manhattan Study. Proceedings of the American Heart Association Meeting 2006.
Activities & Honors
- Presidential Scholar, Dartmouth College, 1995
- summa cum laude, Dartmouth College, 1996
- Phi Beta Kappa, Dartmouth College, 1996
- Salutatorian, Marist School, 1992
- Elected, Sigma Xi Scientific Research Society, 1996
- Alpha Omega Alpha, Yale University School of Medicine, 2000
- Merck Book Award, Yale University School of Medicine, 2000
- American Cancer Society Prize, Yale University School of Medicine, 2000
- Medical Thesis selected for Honors, Yale University School of Medicine, 2000
- American Heart Association, 2008
- American Heart Association, 2009
Member, Baltimore Board of Directors
- Cardiovascular Ultrasound Laboratory at Columbia University Medical Center, Accredited by the ICAVL in 2006, 2003 - 2007
- Division of Cardiology, Columbia University Medical Center, 2003 - 2007
Director of Vascular Medicine
- Johns Hopkins Center for Vascular Medicine, Accredited by the ICAVL in 2009, 2007
- Society for Vascular Medicine, 2007
- Society for Vascular Medicine, 2004 - 2007
- Society for Vascular Ultrasound, 2003 - 2005
- Vascular Disease Foundation, 2007
- Vascular Disease Foundation, 2007
Scientific Advisory Board
- Member, Baltimore Board of Directors, American Heart Association, Baltimore, MD, 2009
- Scientific Advisory Board, Vascular Disease Foundation, Severna Park, MD, 2007
- Fellow, Scientific Advisory Board, 2007