Search the Health Library
Get the facts on diseases, conditions, tests and procedures.
I Want To...
Find a Doctor
Find a doctor at The Johns Hopkins Hospital, Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center or Johns Hopkins Community Physicians.
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
Bashir Ahmed Zikria, M.D.
Director, Sports Medicine Arthroscopy Lab, Johns Hopkins Orthopaedics at Bayview
Associate Professor of Orthopaedic Surgery
Languages: English, Farsi
Expertise: Anterior Shoulder Instability, Arthritis of the Knee (Knee Injection), Arthroscopic Rotator Cuff Repair, Baseball Injuries, Elbow Arthroscopy, Joint Preservation, Knee ACL reconstruction, Multi-Ligament Knee Injuries, Orthopaedic Surgery, Sports Medicine, Total Elbow Replacement ...read more
Research Interests: Sports medicine injuries; Pediatric sports; Knee injuries; Sports injuries
Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center
Appointment Phone: 443-997-2663
4940 Eastern Avenue
Baltimore, MD 21224 map
Johns Hopkins Community Physicians - White Marsh
Appointment Phone: 443-442-2080
4924 Campbell Boulevard
Nottingham, MD 21236 map
Johns Hopkins Health Care and Surgery Center
6420 Rockledge Drive
Bethesda, MD 20817 map
Sibley Memorial Hospital
5255 Loughboro Road NW
Washington, DC 20016 map
Dr. Bashir Zikria is an associate professor of orthopedic surgery at the Johns Hopkins School of Medicine. Dr. Zikria serves as the director of sports medicine and co-director of the arthroscopy lab at Johns Hopkins Orthopaedics at Good Samaritan Hospital. His areas of clinical expertise include baseball injuries, elbow arthroscopy, orthopaedic surgery, sports medicine and total elbow replacement.
Dr. Zikria received his B.S. in biology from the Pennsylvania State University. He earned his M.Sc. from the Drexel University College of Medicine in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, and his M.D. from the Medical College of Pennsylvania/Hahnemann School of Medicine. He completed his residency at Lenox Hill Hospital in New York City, New York and performed a fellowship in sports medicine at the University of Miami/UHZ Sports Medicine Institute. Dr. Zikria joined the Johns Hopkins faculty in 2007.
His research interests include sports medicine injuries.
Dr. Zikiria serves as a team physician for the Johns Hopkins Department of Athletics. In 2011, he was the physician for the Afghanistan national team that participated in the Asian Games. He is a member of several professional organizations, including the American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine and American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons.
- Director, Sports Medicine Arthroscopy Lab, Johns Hopkins Orthopaedics at Bayview
- Associate Professor of Orthopaedic Surgery
Departments / Divisions
- Orthopaedic Surgery - Shoulder Surgery
- Surgery at Sibley Memorial Hospital
- MD, Drexel University College of Medicine (2000)
- Lenox Hill Hospital / Orthopaedic Surgery (2005)
- UHZ Sports Medicine Institute / Sports Medicine (2006)
- American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery / Orthopaedic Sports Medicine (2012)
- American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery / Orthopaedic Surgery (2008)
Research & Publications
Dr. Zikria's research focuses on sports medicine injuries. Specifically, his interests include sports injuries, knee injuries (ACL and PCL, multiligament, and tendon and ligament injuries) and pediatric sports for athletes older than 14.
Selected PublicationsView all on Pubmed
- Bernard JA, Riguad J, Tan E, Naziri Q, Zikria B. "Sterile pretibial cyst formation following anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction with a bioabsorbable screw." J Long Term Eff Med Implants. 2013;23(1):61-5.
- Grutter PW, McFarland EG, Zikria BA, Dai Z, Petersen SA. "Techniques for suture anchor removal in shoulder surgery." Am J Sports Med. 2010 Aug;38(8):1706-10. doi: 10.1177/0363546510372794. Epub 2010 Jun 21.
- Zvijac JE, Zikria B, Botto-van Bemden A. "Isolated tears of pectoralis minor muscle in professional football players: a case series." Am J Orthop (Belle Mead NJ). 2009 Mar;38(3):145-7.
- Seneviratne A, Montgomery K, Bevilacqua B, Zikria B. "Quantifying the extent of a type II SLAP lesion required to cause peel-back of the glenoid labrum—a cadaveric study." Arthroscopy. 2006 Nov;22(11):1163.e1-6.
- Gupta SK, Ranawat AS, Shah V, Zikria BA, Zikria JF, Ranawat CS. "The P.F.C. sigma RP-F TKA designed for improved performance: a matched-pair study." Orthopedics. 2006 Sep;29(9 Suppl):S49-52.
Activities & Honors
- Resident Scholarship, Aventis Orthopaedic, 2003
- Teacher of the Year Award, Johns Hopkins Hospital, 2008
- Resident Research Award, Lenox Hill Alumni Meeting, 2002
- Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Society, Medical College of Pennsylvania/Hahnemann School of Medicine, 1999
- AAOS Leadership Fellows Program
- Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Society, 1999
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, 2011
- American Medical Association, 2000
- American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine, 2012
- Education Committee, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, 2009
Sports Medicine Division
Videos & Media
Recent News Articles and Media Coverage
(2/2/2016). Doctors Patients Rave About. BestPractice. Retrieved from http://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/office-of-johns-hopkins-physicians/best-practice-news/doctors-patients-rave-about