Search the Health Library
Get the facts on diseases, conditions, tests and procedures.
I Want To...
Find a Doctor
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
Douglas Reh, M.D.
Douglas David Reh, M.D.
Medical Director, Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery at Green Spring Station
Associate Professor of Otolaryngology - Head and Neck Surgery
Expertise: Cerebrospinal Fluid (CSF) Leaks, Chronic Sinusitis, Endoscopic Dacryocystorhinostomy, Endoscopic Orbital Decompression, Endoscopic Sinus Surgery, Endoscopic Skull Base Surgery, Grave's Obitopathy, Nasal Obstruction, Nasal Polyps, Nasoclacrimal Duct Obstruction, Otolaryngology, Paranasal Sinus Tumors, Revision Endoscopic Sinus Surgery, Sinonasal Disorders, Sinonasal Polyps, Sinonasal Tumors, Sinusitis, Skull Base Tumors ...read more
Research Interests: Sinonasal tumors; Endoscopic sinus surgery; Endoscopic skull base surgery; Effects of second hand smoking on sinusitis ...read more
Request an Appointment
Johns Hopkins Medicine - Green Spring Station
Appointment Phone: 443-997-6467
Green Spring Station
10751 Falls Road
Falls Concourse Suite 408
Lutherville, MD 21093 map
Johns Hopkins Outpatient Center
Appointment Phone: 443-997-6467
601 N. Caroline St.
Baltimore, MD 21287 map
His research focuses on outcomes of endoscopic skull base surgery and intracranial pressure monitoring in patients with spontaneous cerebrospinal fluid leaks. He also collaborates with epidemiologists at the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health to investigate the effects of second-hand tobacco smoke on sinusitis.
Dr. Reh grew up in Victor, NY and graduated summa cum laude from Boston College with a B.S. in Finance & Operations. He received his medical degree with honors from the University of Rochester School of Medicine and completed his residency in Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery at Oregon Health & Science University. Upon completion of his residency, Dr. Reh received fellowship training in advanced endoscopic sinus and skull base surgery at the Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary at Harvard University.
- Medical Director, Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery at Green Spring Station
- Residency Program Director
- Associate Professor of Otolaryngology - Head and Neck Surgery
- Associate Professor of Neurosurgery
Centers & Institutes
- MD, University of Rochester Medical Center (2001)
- Oregon Health & Sciences University Hospital / Otolaryngology (2006)
- Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary / Rhinology (2007)
- American Board of Otolaryngology / Otolaryngology (2007)
Research & Publications
Selected Publications1. Lu SL, Reh D, Li AG, Woods J, Corless CL, Kulesz-Martin M, Wang XJ. Overexpression of transforming growth factor beta 1 in head and neck epithelia results in inflammation, angiogenesis, and epithelial hyperproliferation. Cancer Research. 64(13): 4405-10, 2004
2. Lu SL, Herrington H, Reh D, Weber SM, Bornstein S, Wang D, Li A, Tang CF, Siddiqui Y, Nord J, Andersen PE, Corless CL, Wang XJ. Loss of transforming growth factor beta 1 type II receptor protein promotes head and neck squamous cell carcinoma. Genes & Development. 20(10): 1331-42, 2006
3. Wax MK, Reh DD, Levack MM. Effect of celecoxib on fasciocutaneous flap survival and revascularization. Arch Facial Plast Surg. 9(2): 120-4, 2007
4. Reh DD, Mace J, Robinson JL, Smith TL. Impact of age on presentation of chronic rhinosinusitis and outcomes of endoscopic sinus surgery. Am J Rhinol.. 21(2): 207-13, 2007
5. Goldsztein H, Pletcher SD, Reh DD and Metson RM. The Frontal Wishbone: Anatomic and Clinical Implications. Am J Rhinol. 2007 Nov-Dec;21(6):725-8.
6. Lo JO, Wu V, Reh DD, Nadig S, Wax MK. Diagnosis and Management of a Misplaced NG Tube into the Pulmonary Pleura. Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2008 May;134(5):547-50
7. Stankovic KM, Goldsztein H, Reh DD, Platt MP, Metson R. Gene expression profiling of nasal polyps associated with chronic sinusitis and aspirin-sensitive asthma. Laryngoscope. 2008 May;118(5):881-9.
8. Reh DD, Metson R, Sindwani R. Sinus surgery in patients with previously repaired CSF Leaks. Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2008 November; 134(11):1187-1190
9. Lin SY, Laeeq K, Ishii M, Kim J, Lane AP, Reh D, Bhatti NI. Development and pilot testing of a feasible, reliable, and valid operative competency assessment tool for the endoscopic sinus surgery. Am J Rhinol Allergy. 2009 May-June; 23(3):354-9.
10. Reh DD, Lane AP. The role of endoscopic sinus surgery in the management of sinonasal inverted papilloma. Curr Opin Otolaryngol Head and Neck Surg. 2009, 17:6-10.
11. Bornstein S, White R, Malkoski S, Oka M, Han G, Cleaver T, Reh D, Andersen P, Gross N, Olson S, Deng C, Lu SL, Wang XJ. Smad4 loss causes spontaneous head and neck cancer with increased genomic instability and inflammation. J Clin Invest. 2009 Nov;119(11):3408-19
12. Reh DD, Lin SY, Clipp S, Irani L, Alberg A, Navas-Acien A. Secondhand Tobacco Smoke Exposure and Chronic Rhinosinusitis: A Case-Control Study. Am J Rhinol Allergy. 2009 Am J Rhinol Allergy. 2009 Nov-Dec;23(6):562-7.
13. Laeeq K, Infusino S, Lin SY, Reh DD, Ishii M, Kim J, Lane AP, Bhatti NI. Video-based assessment of operative competency in endoscopic sinus surgery. Am J Rhinol Allergy. 2010 May;24(3):238-43.
14. Reh DD, Wang Y, Pawliuk L, Ramanathan M, Lane AP. Treatment-recalcitrant chronic rhinosinusitis with polyps is associated with altered epithelial cell expression of interleukin-33. Am J Rhinol Allergy. 2010 Mar-Apr;24(2):105-9.
15. Hoag JB, Terry P, Mitchell S, Reh D, Merlo CA. An epistaxis severity score for Hereditary Hemorrhagic Telangiectasia. Laryngoscope. 2010 Apr;120(4):838-43.
16. Reh DD, Lewis CM, Metson R. Frontal Bullosa: Diagnosis and management of a new variant of frontal mucocele. Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2010 June; 136(6):625-8.
17. Reh DD, Ramanathan M, Gallia GL, Solomon D, Moghekar A, Ishii M, Lane AP. Perioperative continuous cerebrospinal fluid pressure monitoring in patients with spontaneous cerebrospinal fluid leaks: presentation of a novel technique. Am J Rhinol Allergy. 2010 May;24(3):238-43.
18. Reh DD, Ramanathan M, Sultan B, Wang Y, May L, Lane AP. The role of hepatocyte growth factor/C-met in chronic rhinosinusitis with Nasal Polyps. Am J Rhinol Allergy. 2010 Aug;24(4).
19. Poetker DM, Reh DD. A comprehensive review of the adverse effects of systemic corticosteroids. Otolaryngologic Clinics of North America. 2010 August; 43(4):753-68.
20. Gallia GL, Ramanathan M, Blitz AM, Reh DD. Expanded endonasal endoscopic approach for resection of a juvenile nasopharyngeal angiofibroma with skull base involvement. Journal of Clin Neuroscience. 2010 Nov;17(11):1423-7
21. Reh DD, Navas-Acien A. The relationship between secondhand tobacco smoke exposure and chronic rinosinusitis: Evidence of causality. Expert Review of Respiratory Medicine. 2010 Aug; 4(4):445-9.
22. Laeeq K, Waseem R, Weatherly RA, Reh DD, Lin SY, Lane AP, Ishii M, Cummings CW, Bhatti NI. In-training assessment and predictors of competency in endoscopic sinus surgery. Laryngoscope. 2010 Dec;120(12):2540-5
23. Lin SY, Reh DD, Clipp S, Irani L, Navas-Acien A. Allergic Rhinitis and secondhand smoke: A population based study. 2011 Am J Rhinol Allergy Mar/April; 25(2):66-71
24. Gallia GL, Reh DD, Salmasi V, Blitz, AM, Koch W, and Ishii M. Endonasal Endoscopic Resection of Esthesioneuroblastoma: The Johns Hopkins Hospital Experience and Review of the Literature. 2011 Neurosurgical Review. Oct;34(4):465-75.
25. Reh DD, Melvin TN, Bolger WE, Lane AP. The frontal inter-sinus septum takedown procedure: re-visiting a technique for surgically refractory unilateral frontal sinus disease. 2011 Laryngoscope Aug;121(8):1805-9.
26. Turner JT, Reh DD. Incidence and Survival in Patients with Sinonasal Cancer: A Historical Analysis of Population-based Data. 2011 Head & Neck, Aug; 24. [Epub ahead of print]
27. Salmasi V, Reh DD, Blitz AM, Argani P, Ishii M, Gallia GL. Expanded endonasal approach for resection of a skull base low grade smooth muscle neoplasm. 2012 Childs Nervious System Jan; 28(1): 151-8.
28. Uneri A, Schafer S, Mirota DJ, Nithiananthan S, Otake Y, Taylor RH, Gallia GL, Khanna AJ, Lee S, Reh DD, Siewerdsen JH. TREK: an integrated system architecture for intraoperative cone beam CT-guided surgery. Int J Comput Assist Radiol Surg, 2011.
29. Lin SY, Reh DD, Navas-Acien A. Allergic rhinitis, chronic sinusitis and symptom severity: A population-based study. 2012 Intl Forum of Allergy and Rhinology, Jan-Feb; 2(1):51-6.
30. Reh DD, Chan JYK, Byrne PB. Concurrent rhinoplasty and endoscopic sinus surgery: A review of the pros and cons and a template for success. 2012 Facial Plast Surg Clin N Am. Feb;20(1):43-54
31. Xuewei X, Ramanathan M, Orr BA, Salmasi V, Salvatori R, Reh DD, Gallia GL. Expanded endonasal endoscopic approach for resection of a growth hormone-secreting pituitary macroadenoma coexistent with a cavernous carotid artery aneurysm . J Clin Neuroscience. 2011
32. Lee S, Gallia GL, Reh DD, Schafer S, Uneri A, Mirota DJ, Nithiananthan S, Otake Y, Stayman JW, Zbijewski W, Siewerdsen JH. Intraoperative C-arm cone-beam CT: quantitative analysis of surgical performance in skull base surgery. Laryngoscope. 2012
33. Higgins TS, Reh DD. Environmental pollutants and allergic rhinitis. Curr Opin Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2012 Apr 6 [Epub ahead of print]
34. Gallia GL, Reh DD, Lane AP, Higgins TS, Koch W, Ishii M. Endoscopic resection of esthesioneuroblastoma. J Clin Neuroscience. 2012
35. Reh DD, Higgins TS, Smith TL. Impact of tobacco smoke on chronic rhinosinusitis a review of the literature. Intl Forum of Allergy and Rhinology. 2012
36. Brickman DS, Reh DD, Schneider DS, Bush B, Rosenthal EL, Wax MK. Airway management after maxillectomy with free flap reconstruction. Head & Neck, 2012.
37. Xu J, Reh DD, Carey J, Mahesh M, Siewerdsen JH. Technical Assessment of a Cone-Beam CT Scanner for Otolaryngology Imaging: Image Quality, Dose, and Technique Protocols. Medical Physics, 2012
Activities & Honors
- American Journal of Rhniology and Allergy
- American Rhinologic Society
Videos & Media
Patient Video: Juvenile Nasopharyngeal Angiofibroma (JNA) - Javier's Story
Frequently Asked Question: Sinus Problems