Search the Health Library
Get the facts on diseases, conditions, tests and procedures.
I Want To...
Find a Doctor
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
April Sullivan Fitzgerald, M.D.
Clinical Director, Johns Hopkins Medicine International
Assistant Professor of Medicine
Expertise: Internal Medicine
Research Interests: Health Care Disparities Education; Medical Education; Leadership Skills Training; Leadership in Medicine and International Patient Care ...read more
Request an Appointment
I live in Maryland
Request an appointment through My
I live outside of Maryland
I live outside of the United States
Johns Hopkins Outpatient Center
Appointment Phone: 410-955-0670
601 N. Caroline St.
Baltimore, MD 21287 map
Dr. April Sullivan Fitzgerald is an assistant professor of medicine at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine. Her areas of clinical expertise include internal medicine. Dr. Fitzgerald serves as the clinical director of Johns Hopkins Medicine International.
With a B.S. in electrical engineering from the United States Air Force Academy, Dr. Fitzgerald received her medical degree from the University of Chicago Pritzker School of Medicine and went on to complete her internship and residency in internal medicine at Harvard University/Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center. After residency, Dr. Fitzgerald became Harvard faculty at Mass General Hospital in Boston.
She was called to active military duty after 9/11, caring for military and civilian personnel at the U.S. Pentagon. Dr. Fitzgerald continues to serve in the Air Force Reserves as faculty at the Uniformed Services University and has achieved the rank of colonel. She joined the Division of General Internal Medicine at Johns Hopkins in 2007.
Dr. Fitzgerald’s academic and clinical interests include the efficient delivery of primary care, leadership in medicine, medical education and care of international patients.
Dr. Fitzgerald serves as an associate editor of the Leadership Forum, a publication of the ACGIM. She received an Early Career Award by the American College of Physicians Maryland Chapter in 2014. Board-certified in internal medicine, she is an active member of the Society of General Internal Medicine and a fellow in the American College of Physicians.
- Clinical Director, Johns Hopkins Medicine International
- Assistant Professor of Medicine
- MD, University of Chicago Pritzker School of Medicine (1996)
- Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center / Internal Medicine (1999)
- American Board of Internal Medicine / Internal Medicine (2000, 2010)
Research & Publications
Dr. Fitzgerald’s ongoing research focuses on leadership skills for medical students.
- Fitzgerald AS. You Are A Leader. ACGIM Leadership Forum. 2008; Vol 1, No 1, Page 8.
- Fitzgerald AS. Giving Feedback. ACLGIM Leadership Forum. 2011; Vol 3, No 4, Page 6.
- Fitzgerald AS, Duboyce RL, Ritter JB, Omori DJ, Cooper BA, O'Malley P. A Primer on the unique challenges of female soldiers' reproductive issues in a war-ready culture. Military Medicine. 2013; 178: 511-16.
- Fitzgerald AS, Ashar B, Feldman L, Gibbons MC, Stewart RW; Applying a leadership model to the Johns Hopkins Urban Health residency training program; MedEdWorld Publish, www.mededworld.org, Oct 22, 2013; 1-10.
- Beach MC, Fitzgerald AS, Saha S. White Coat Hype: Branding Physicians with Professional Attire. JAMA Intern Med. 2013:1-2.
- Fitzgerald AS, OMalley PG. Staying on-track when taking it off-label. American Family Physician. 2014; 89(1).
Activities & Honors
- Organizational Excellence Award, Air Force
- National Leadership Award, Asoociation of Chiefs and Leaders in General Internal Medicine (ACLGIM), 2013
- Henry J. Reilly Memorial Scholarship, Excellence in Leadership and Education
- American College of Physicians (ACP) Early Career Award, Maryland Chapter, 2014
- Medal for service in Operation Enduring Freedom, National Defense Service
- Medal for service in Operation Desert Shield/Storm, National Defense Service
- Outstanding Leader, Service to Young Girls
- Meritorious Service Medal for Response to 9/11 Terrorist Attack
- Fellowship, American College of Physicians, 2012
- American College of Physicians
- American Medical Association
- Association of Chiefs and Leaders in General Internal Medicine
- Diplomate American Board of Internal Medicine
- Massachusetts Medical Society
- Medical Society of Virginia
- Reserve Officers Association
- Society of General Internal Medicine
- Editor, Quarterly Publication from ACLGIM
The Leadership Forum
- Secretary-Treasurer, Mid-Atlantic Society of General Internal Medicine (SGIM), 2014
- President-elect, Mid-Atlantic Society of General Internal Medicine, 2015
- Emerging Women’s Leadership Program, Johns Hopkins, 2013