Search the Health Library
Get the facts on diseases, conditions, tests and procedures.
I Want To...
Find a Doctor
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
Rebecca A Aslakson, M.D.
Associate Professor of Anesthesiology and Critical Care Medicine
Expertise: Medical Oncology
Request an Appointment
The Johns Hopkins Hospital
Appointment Phone: 410-955-6353
600 N. Wolfe Street
Sheikh Zayed Tower
Baltimore, MD 21287 map
Johns Hopkins Outpatient Center
Appointment Phone: 410-955-6353
601 N. Caroline St.
Baltimore, MD 21287 map
Dr. Rebecca A. Aslakson is an assistant professor of anesthesiology and critical care medicine and oncology at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine. Boarded in critical care, palliative medicine and anesthesiology, Dr. Aslakson clinically attends in the adult surgical intensive care units, inpatient palliative care unit and operating rooms at The Johns Hopkins Hospital. She has been a core faculty member at the Armstrong Institute for Patient Safety and Quality at Johns Hopkins since 2013.
Dr. Aslakson received her undergraduate degree in biology and mathematics from Washington University in St. Louis and her M.Sci. in biomedical sciences from the University of Ulster in Northern Ireland. She earned her M.D. from Harvard Medical School/Massachusetts Institute of Technology and her Ph.D. from the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health. She completed her residency at Massachusetts General Hospital and performed a fellowship in surgical critical care at the Johns Hopkins Hospital. Dr. Aslakson joined the Johns Hopkins faculty in 2008.
Her work has been published in numerous peer-reviewed journals, including Critical Care Medicine, Critical Care, The Patient, Anesthesia & Analgesia, The Journal of Palliative Medicine, Journal of General Internal Medicine, Anesthesiology Clinics and Critical Care Clinics. Her research work is, or has been, supported through multiple grants or contracts from organizations such as the Patient-Centered Outcomes Institute, Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ), the Foundation for Anesthesia Education and Research, the National Palliative Care Research Center and the Gordon and Betty Moore Foundation.
Dr. Aslakson is an active member of the Society of Critical Care Medicine (SCCM), the American Academy of Hospice and Palliative Medicine (AAHPM), the American Society of Anesthesiologists (ASA), the Society of Critical Care Anesthesiologists and the International Anesthesia Research Society. She is a member of multiple national committees, including the SCCM Family-Centered Care Guidelines Committee, the AAHPM Research Committee and the ASA Subcommittee for Palliative Medicine. Dr. Aslakson has received numerous awards for her work, including the 2014 ASA Presidential Scholar Award.
- Associate Professor of Anesthesiology and Critical Care Medicine
- Associate Professor of Oncology
Departments / Divisions
Centers & Institutes
- MD, Harvard Medical School (2003)
- Massachusetts General Hospital / Anesthesiology and Critical Care Medicine (2007)
- Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine / Anesthesiology and Critical Care Medicine (2008)
- American Board of Anesthesiology / Anesthesiology (2008)
- American Board of Anesthesiology / Critical Care Medicine (2008)
- American Board of Anesthesiology / Hospice and Palliative Care (2010)
Research & Publications
Dr. Aslakson’s research and clinical goal is to improve delivery of palliative care to patients and families, particularly in intensive care unit and perioperative settings.
- Schuster AL, Aslakson RA, Bridges JF. "Creating an advance-care-planning decision aid for high-risk surgery: a qualitative study." BMC Palliat Care. 2014 Jun 19;13:32. doi: 10.1186/1472-684X-13-32. eCollection 2014.
- Aslakson RA, Schuster AL, Miller J, Weiss M, Volandes AE, Bridges JF. "An environmental scan of advance care planning decision AIDS for patients undergoing major surgery: a study protocol." Patient. 2014;7(2):207-17. doi: 10.1007/s40271-014-0046-3.
- Aslakson R, Cheng J, Vollenweider D, Galusca D, Smith TJ, Pronovost PJ. "Evidence-based palliative care in the intensive care unit: a systematic review of interventions." J Palliat Med. 2014 Feb;17(2):219-35. doi: 10.1089/jpm.2013.0409.
- Lau BD, Aslakson RA, Wilson RF, Fawole OA, Apostol CC, Martinez KA, Vollenweider D, Bass EB, Dy SE. "Methods for improving the quality of palliative care delivery: a systematic review." Am J Hosp Palliat Care. 2014 Mar;31(2):202-10. doi: 10.1177/1049909113482039. Epub 2013 Mar 26.
- Martinez KA, Aslakson RA, Wilson RF, Apostol CC, Fawole OA, Lau BD, Vollenweider D, Bass EB, Dy SM. "A systematic review of health care interventions for pain in patients with advanced cancer." Am J Hosp Palliat Care. 2014 Feb;31(1):79-86. doi: 10.1177/1049909113476129. Epub 2013 Feb 12.
Activities & Honors
- George Mitchell Scholar Alumni Organization, U.S.-Ireland Alliance, 2001
- Presidential Scholar Award, the American Society of Anesthesiologists, 2014
- Family-Centered Care Innovation Award, Society of Critical Care Medicine, 2014
- Washington DC-Baltimore-Northern Virginia Rising Star, Super Doctors, 2013
- Clinician Scientist Award, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, 2013
- Speaker Award, American Academy of Hospice and Palliative Medicine, 2013
- Leadership Program for Women, Office of Women in Science and Medicine, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, 2012
- Best in Baltimore – Palliative Medicine, Baltimore Magazine, 2011
- Medical Student Teaching Award Finalist, Harvard Medical School, 2007
- Excellence in Teaching in Surgical Critical Care Award, Johns Hopkins Hospital, 2007
- Hospitalist Award, Best Medical Intern, 2004
- Department of Surgery Award, Best Surgical Intern, 2004
- International Achievement Summit, 2000
- George Mitchell Scholarship, U.S.-Ireland Alliance, 1999
- Barry Goldwater Scholarship, 1997
- Arthur Holly Compton Scholarship, Washington University in St. Louis, 1994
- National Science Scholarship, United States Department of Education, 1994
- Robert C. Byrd Honors Scholarship, United States Department of Education, 1994
- American Academy of Hospice and Palliative Medicine, 2010
- American Society of Anesthesiologists, 2004
- International Anesthesia Research Society, 2010
- Society of Critical Care Anesthesiologists, 2011
- Society of Critical Care Medicine, 2006
- Chair and Co-Founder, American Academy of Hospice and Palliative Medicine, 2013 - 2014
Intensive Care Unit Special Interest Group (SIG)
- Faculty Advisory Committee, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, 2009
Office of Women in Science and Medicine
- Faculty Co-Chair and Resident Liaison, Department of Anesthesiology and Critical Care Medicine Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, 2009
Resident Research Committee
- Family-Centered Care Guidelines Committee, Society of Critical Care Medicine
- Palliative Medicine Subcommittee, American Society of Anesthesiologists, 2013 - 2015
- Physician-Researcher Reviewer, Johns Hopkins Sarcoma Program Pilot Grant, 2012
- Research Committee, American Academy of Hospice and Palliative Medicine
- Subcommittee for Palliative Medicine, American Society of Anesthesiologists