Search the Health Library
Get the facts on diseases, conditions, tests and procedures.
I Want To...
Find a Doctor
Find a doctor at The Johns Hopkins Hospital, Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center or Johns Hopkins Community Physicians.
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
Deirdre Johnston, M.B.B.Ch., M.D.
Mary C Johnston, M.B.B.Ch., M.D.
Assistant Professor of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences
Expertise: Adult Psychiatry, Forensic Psychiatry, Geriatric Psychiatry , Memory Disorders, Psychiatry, Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences
Research Interests: Memory Disorders; Aging in Place; Outreach mental health care for homebound elders
Request an Appointment
I live in Maryland
Request an appointment through My
I live outside of Maryland
I live outside of the United States
The Johns Hopkins Hospital
Appointment Phone: 410-955-6158
600 N. Wolfe Street
Sheikh Zayed Tower
Baltimore, MD 21287 map
Dr Johnston''s previous appointment was at Wake Forest University School of Medicine, where she was the inaugural Director of the Kate Mills Snider Geriatric Psychiatry Outreach Program (the GO Program), an innovative model of collaborative in-home mental health care for the frail elderly. The GO Program and the Deirdre Johnston award were made possible by generous gifts from the Snider family of Salisbury NC and New York, in honor of their mother, Kate Mills Snider, in gratitude for Dr Johnstons care of Mrs. Snider.
Dr Johnston holds specialty qualifications in psychiatry in the UK and in Canada as well as in the United States and is certified by the American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology in both Geriatric Psychiatry and Forensic Psychiatry.
- Assistant Professor of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences
Departments / Divisions
- MD, University College Hospital (1979)
- University College Hospital / Psychiatry (1985)
- University of Alberta-Falculty of Medicine & Dentistry / Psychiatry (1989)
- American Board of Psychiatry & Neurology / Psychiatry (1992)
Research & Publications
- Johnston D: A series of cases of dementia presenting with posttraumatic stress disorder symptoms in WWII combat veterans, Journal of the American Geriatrics Society; 48:70-72. 2000.
- Johnston, D and Reifler, BV: The organization and provision of Geriatric Psychiatry Services for the Elderly. In The New Oxford Textbook of Psychiatry, Oxford University Press, 2000.
- Johnston D, Jones BN 3rd. Telepsychiatry consultations to a rural nursing facility: A two year experience. Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry and Neurology, 14(2):72-5, 2001.
- Jones BN 3rd, Johnston D., Reboussin B, McCall WV. Reliability of telepsychiatry assessments: Subjective versus observational ratings. Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry and Neurology, 14(2):66-71, 2001.
- Johnston D, Eitel D, McCall, W.V. Electroconvulsive Therapy (ECT): An Introduction for Elderlaw Professionals. Elder's Advisor: The Journal of Elder Law and Retirement Planning, 4(1):18-27, 2002.
- Rosenberg P, Johnston D, Lyketsos CG. A clinical approach to mild cognitive impairment. Am J Psychiatry 163:11, Nov 2006.
- Johnston, D: Anxiolytics and Neuroloptics in Psychiatric Aspects of Neurologic Diseases: Practical Approaches to Patient Care, eds Constantine Lyketsos, Philip Slavney, Peter Rabins, and John Lipsey. Oxford University Press, in press.