Search the Health Library
Get the facts on diseases, conditions, tests and procedures.
I Want To...
Find a Doctor
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
Jessica Leigh Colburn, M.D.
Assistant Professor of Medicine
Expertise: Geriatric Medicine
Research Interests: Clinical Resarch: Primary care partnerships with older adults and their caregivers
Request an Appointment
Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center
Appointment Phone: 410-550-0100
4940 Eastern Avenue
Baltimore, MD 21224 map
Dr. Jessica Colburn is an assistant professor of medicine at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine. Her area of clinical expertise is geriatric medicine.
She earned her M.D. from University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine. She completed her residency in internal medicine at Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center and performed a fellowship in geriatric medicine and gerontology at Johns Hopkins.
Dr. Colburn’s clinical research in primary care partnerships with older adults and their caregivers.
She is the principal investigator of the Johns Hopkins Geriatric Education Center and Consortium, a major educational initiative in geriatrics at Johns Hopkins, designed to provide broad-based education in geriatric medicine to health professionals throughout Maryland. In addition, Dr. Colburn is the director of the Johns Hopkins Topics in Geriatric Medicine Course; she teaches a course in geriatrics for physician assistant students at Anne Arundel Community College; leads the Life Cycle-Aging Longitudinal Strand course for all medical students; and precepts and mentors students, residents and fellows.
In 2015, she was recognized with the Lisa J. Heiser Award for Junior Faculty Contribution in Education from the Johns Hopkins Institute for Excellence in Education. She, along with her colleagues John Burton, M.D., and Jan Marks, R.N., M.S., won a Geriatrics Workforce Enhancement Program grant from the Health Resources and Services Administration to focus on improving geriatric primary care through inter-professional geriatrics education.
- Assistant Professor of Medicine
Departments / Divisions
- Medicine - General Internal Medicine
- Medicine - Geriatric Medicine
- Medicine - Geriatric Medicine and Gerontology
- Medicine at Sibley Memorial Hospital - General Internal Medicine
- Medicine at Sibley Memorial Hospital - Geriatric Medicine
- Medicine at Sibley Memorial Hospital - Geriatric Medicine and Gerontology
Centers & Institutes
- MD, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine (2005)
- Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center / Internal Medicine (2008)
- Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine / Geriatric Medicine and Gerontology (2011)
- American Board of Internal Medicine / Geriatric Medicine (2011, 2021)
- American Board of Internal Medicine / Internal Medicine (2008, 2018)
Research & Publications
Colburn, JL, Jasinski DR, Rastegar DA. "Long-term opioid therapy, aberrant behaviors, and substance misuse: Comparison of patients treated by resident and attending physicians in a general internal medicine clinic." J Opioid Manag. 2012 May-Jun;8(3):153-60.
Academic Affiliations & Courses
Courses and Syllabi
Johns Hopkins Topics in Geriatric Medicine Course
Activities & Honors
- Lisa J. Heiser Award for Junior Faculty Contribution in Education, Institute for Excellence in Education, 2015
- Geriatrics Workforce Enhancement Program (GWEP) grant, Health Resources and Services Administration, 2015