Search the Health Library
Get the facts on diseases, conditions, tests and procedures.
I Want To...
Find a Doctor
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
Young Kim, M.D., Ph.D.
Young Jun Kim, M.D., Ph.D.
Associate Professor of Otolaryngology - Head and Neck Surgery
Languages: English, Korean
Expertise: Airway Disorders, Ear, Nose, and Throat (ENT), Head and Neck Cancers, Head and Neck Surgery, Laryngeal Disorders, Laryngeal Surgery, Nasal Reconstruction, Otolaryngology, Parathyroid Diseases, Parathyroid Surgery, Robotic Thyroid Surgery, Salivary Gland Disorders, Schwannomas of the Head and Neck, Skin Cancer, Thyroid Diseases, Thyroid Parathyroid, Thyroid Surgery, Transoral robotic surgery (TORS) ...read more
Research Interests: Tumor Immunology; Development of immunotherapeutic treatments for head and neck malignancies
Dr. Young Kim received his MD and PhD at University of California, San Diego, and completed his clinical training at University of California, Los Angeles.
His clinical interests include the medical and surgical management of head and neck tumor/cancer, thyroid/parathyroid tumors, and salivary gland tumors.
He also specializes in complex airway management and nasal reconstruction. He is currently the principle investigator of an NIH funded lab that is focused on the development of translational cancer vaccines.
His lab is focused on tumor immunology and the development of novel immunotherapeutic strategies for cancer patients. Within the tumor microenvironment, we are studying the cross-talk between the tumor cells and the tumor infiltrating lymphocytic and myeloid cells.
- Associate Professor of Otolaryngology - Head and Neck Surgery
- Associate Professor of Oncology
Departments / Divisions
- MD PHD, University of California San Diego School of Medicine (1999)
- Ronald Reagan UCLA Medical Center / Otolaryngology (2005)
- American Board of Otolaryngology / Otolaryngology-General (2007)
Research & Publications
Dr. Kim's research lab is focused on tumor immunology and the development of novel immunotherapeutic strategies for cancer patients. Within the tumor microenvironment, we are studying the cross-talk between the tumor cells and the tumor infiltrating lymphocytic and myeloid cells.
At the molecular level, we found that STAT3 signaling in both lymphocytic and myeloid cells can induce immunosuppressive microenvironment, and we are actively studying the downstream mediators of this important phenotype. We have also developed novel cancer vaccines that are ideally suited to be combined with immune checkpoint blockade antibodies to reverse the immunosuppressive tumor microenvironment.
- Shu CJ, Guo S, Kim YJ, Shelly SM, Nijagal A, Ray P, Gambhir SS, Radu CG, Witte ON. Visualization of a primary anti-tumor immune response by positron emission tomography. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2005 Nov 29;102(48):17412-7. PMID: 16293690
- Kim YJ, Smith J, Sercarz JA, Head C, Abemayor E, Blackwell K. Fixation of Mandibular Osteotomies: Comparison of Locking and Nonlocking Hardware. Head Neck 2007 May; 29:453-457.
- Chu, E, Kim YJ. Preoperative Evaluation in Laryngeal Tumor. Otolaryngol Clin North Am. 2008; 41(4): 673-95.
- Geller K, Kim YJ, Koempel J, Anderson KD. Surgical management of type III and IV laryngotracheoesophageal clefts: The three-layered approach. Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol. 2010 Jun;74(6):652-7. PMID: 20416955
- Albesiano E, Davis M, See AP, Han J, Lim M, Pardoll DP, Kim YJ. Immunological Consequences of Signal Transducers and Activators of Transcription 3 Activation in Human Squamous Cell Carcinoma. Cancer Research. 2010 Aug 70(16):p6467-76. PMID: 20682796
- Davis M, FuJ, Vasquez D, Albesiano E, Pardoll D, Kim YJ. TLR4 Agonist Enhanced GVAX - TEGVAX - Improves the Anti-tumor Response In Vivo. Clinical Cancer Research. 2011 Jun; 17(12):3984-92. PMID: 21543518
- Dang EV, Barbi J, Yang HY, Jinasena D, Yu H, Zheng Y, Bordman Z, Fu J, Kim YJ, Luo W, Yen HR, Shimoda L, Topalian S, Semenza GL, Dang CV, Pardoll D, Pan F. Control of the Th17/Treg Balance by Hypoxia-inducible Factor 1a. Cell. 2011 Sep; 146(5): 772-84. PMID: 21871655
- See AP, Han JE, Phallen J, Binder Z, Gallia G, Pan F, Jinasena D, Jackson C, Belcaid Z, Jeong SJ, Gottschalk C, Zeng J, Ruzevick J, Nicholas S, Kim YJ, Albesiano E, Pardoll D, Lim M. The role of STAT3 activation in modulating the immune microenvironment of GBM. J Neurooncol. 2012 Dec; 110(3): 359-68. PMID: 23096132.
- Vasquez-Dunddel D,Pan F,Zeng Q, Gorbounov M, Albesiano E, Fu J, Blosser R, Tam A, Bruno T, Zhang H, Pardoll D, Kim YJ.STAT3 Regulates Arginase-1 in MDSC from Cancer Patients. J Clinical Investigation. 123 (4): 1580-1589.
- Malm I, Olcott C, Chan J, Loyo M, Kim YJ. Congenital Agenesis of the Common Carotid Artery Associated with an Ectopic Parathyroid Adenoma Mimicking a Carotid Body Tumor. Am J Oto. 34(5):553-5.
Activities & Honors
- American Academy Otolaryngology-Head & Neck Surgery
- American College of Surgeons, Fellow
- American Head & Neck Society