Search the Health Library
Get the facts on diseases, conditions, tests and procedures.
I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
Timothy Witham, M.D.
Timothy Francis Witham, M.D.
Director, the Johns Hopkins Neurosurgery Spinal Fusion Laboratory
Professor of Neurosurgery
Expertise: Aneurysmal Bone Cyst, Back Pain, Cauda Equina Syndrome, Cavernous Angioma, Cervical Degenerative Disc Disease, Cervical Degenerative Disc Herniation, Cervical Disc Herniation, Cervical Myelopathy, Cervical Radiculopathy, Cervical Spine Trauma, Cervical Spondylosis, Chiari Malformations, Chordomas, Chrondrosarcoma, Cranio-cervical Junction Pathology, Degenerative Disc Disease, Degenerative Spine Disease, Disc Pain, Giant Cell Tumor, Hemangioblastoma, Hemangiomas, Kyphosis, Lumbar Degenerative Disease, Lumbar Disc Herniation, Lumbar Radiculopathy, Minimally Invasive Spine Surgery, Minimally Invasive Surgery, Myxopapillary Ependymoma, Neck Pain, Nerve Sheath Tumor, Neurosurgery, Neurosurgical Oncology, Osteoblastoma, Osteoid Osteoma, Radiculopathy, Sacral Tumors, Sarcoma, Schwannoma, Sciatica, Spinal Column Tumors, Spinal Cord Injury, Spinal Cord Malformation, Spinal Cord Tumors, Spinal Decompression, Spinal Deformities, Spinal Dural Fistula, Spinal Ependymoma, Spinal Fixation, Spinal Fusion, Spinal Infection, Spinal Instability, Spinal Meningioma, Spinal Metastases, Spinal Neurofibroma, Spinal Pain, Spinal Reconstruction, Spinal Schwannoma, Spinal Stenosis, Spinal Trauma, Spinal Tumors, Spine and Spinal Deformities, Spine Surgery, Spine Tumors, Spondylolisthesis, Spondylosis, Thoracic Disc Herniation ...read more
Research Interests: Improving spinal fusions; Instrumentation in the Aging Spine; Spinal Oncology
Request an Appointment
I live in Maryland
Request an appointment through My
I live outside of Maryland
I live outside of the United States
The Johns Hopkins Hospital
Appointment Phone: 410-955-4424
600 N. Wolfe Street
Meyer Building 5-113
Baltimore, MD 21287 map
Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center
Appointment Phone: 410-550-0465
4940 Eastern Avenue
301 Building, Suite 2100
Baltimore, MD 21224 map
Johns Hopkins Medicine - Green Spring Station
Appointment Phone: 410-955-4424
10755 Falls Road
Lutherville, MD 21093 map
Dr. Timothy Witham is associate professor of neurological surgery and orthopaedic surgery at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine. His interests include the surgical treatment of degenerative conditions of the cervical and lumbar spine, including instrumented fusion procedures. He also has an expertise in the treatment of spinal tumors, spinal trauma and spinal deformity.
Dr. Witham serves as director of the Johns Hopkins Neurosurgery Spinal Fusion Laboratory, director of Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center's Spine Program and co-program director of the Johns Hopkins Neurosurgery Residency Program.
Dr. Witham received his B.S. in biochemistry from the Pennsylvania State University. He earned his M.D. from the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine. He completed his residency at the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center. He performed a fellowship in spinal neurosurgery at Johns Hopkins. Dr. Witham joined the Johns Hopkins faculty in 2005.
Prior to joining Johns Hopkins, Dr. Witham was chief neurosurgeon at Keesler Medical Center at Keesler Air Force Base in Biloxi, Mississippi.
Dr. Witham's research interests include finding novel ways to achieve spinal fusion and improving surgical techniques in the aging spine.
A co-author of more than 170 peer-reviewed articles and abstracts, Dr. Witham has been featured as a “Top Doctor” in Baltimore magazine and was a recipient of a United States Air Force meritorious service medal in 2005. He is a member of various professional organizations, including the American College of Surgeons and American Association of Neurological Surgeons.
- Director, the Johns Hopkins Neurosurgery Spinal Fusion Laboratory
- Director, Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center's Spine Program
- Co-Program Director, Johns Hopkins Neurosurgery Residency Program
- Professor of Neurosurgery
- Professor of Orthopaedic Surgery
Centers & Institutes
- MD, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine (1994)
- University of Pittsburgh Medical Center / Neurosurgery (2001)
- American Board of Neurological Surgery / Neurosurgery (2003)
Fellowship, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine / Neurosurgery (Pittsburgh PA ) (2001)
Research & Publications
Dr. Witham’s research focuses on the surgical treatment of degenerative conditions of the cervical and lumbar spine, dynamic stabilization procedures, and artificial disc surgery. He is conducting a trial to assess the efficacy of dynamic lumbar stabilization on the prevention of segment disease. He focuses on long-term outcome studies assessing the efficacy of various surgical approaches to degenerative spine diseases.
Clinical Trial KeywordsLumbar Disc Herniation
Selected PublicationsView all on Pubmed
- Bydon M, Xu R, Santiago-Dieppa D, Macki M, Sciubba DM, Wolinsky JP, Bydon A, Gokaslan ZL, Witham TF. "Adjacent-segment disease in 511 cases of posterolateral instrumented lumbar arthrodesis: floating fusion versus distal construct including the sacrum." J Neurosurg Spine. 2014 Jan 31. [Epub ahead of print]
- Parker SL, Amin AG, Santiago-Dieppa D, Liauw JA, Bydon A, Sciubba DM, Wolinsky JP, Gokaslan ZL, Witham TF. "Incidence and clinical significance of vascular encroachment resulting from free hand placement of pedicle screws in the thoracic and lumbar spine: Analysis of 6,816 consecutive screws." Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2014 Jan 29. [Epub ahead of print]
- Puvanesarajah V, Lina IA, Liauw JA, Hsu W, Burger PC, Witham TF. "Desmoid tumor formation following posterior spinal instrumentation placement." Evid Based Spine Care J. 2013 Oct;4(2):137-42. doi: 10.1055/s-0033-1357356.
- Lina IA, Puvanesarajah V, Liauw JA, Lo SF, Santiago-Dieppa DR, Hwang L, Mao A, Bydon A, Wolinsky JP, Sciubba DM, Gokaslan Z, Holmes C, Witham TF. "A quantitative study of parathyroid hormone (1-34) and bone morphogenetic protein-2 on spinal fusion outcomes in a rabbit model of lumbar dorsolateral intertransverse process arthrodesis." Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2013 Dec 20. [Epub ahead of print]
- "A novel method of anterior lumbosacral cage reconstruction." Mathios D, Kaloostian PE, Bydon A, Sciubba DM, Wolinsky JP, Gokaslan ZL, Witham TF. J Neurosurg Spine. 2014 Feb;20(2):204-8. doi: 10.3171/2013.11.SPINE13518. Epub 2013 Dec 6.
Activities & Honors
- Alpha Omega Alpha, 1994
- Resident Research Scholarship of The Warren and Clara Cole Fund, American College of Surgeons (ACS), 1998
- Spine Faculty, AO/ASIF, 2007
- Top Doctors, Baltimore Magazine, 2007
- Student Marshal, College of Science Commencement, 1990
- Scholarship Winner, Golden Key National Honor Society, 1987
- First Team at Large Academic All-America, GTE-Cosida, 1990
- Phi Beta Kappa, 1990
- Phi Kappa Phi, 1990
- Pittsburgh Foundations Copeland Grant, The Development of Vaccines for Central Nervous System Tumors, 1998
- Ernest B. McCoy Award, The Pennsylvania State University, 1990
- Department Honors, The Pennsylvania State University, 1990
- Department of Biochemistry Scholarship, The Pennsylvania State University, 1989
- Shigley Award, The Pennsylvania State University, 1989
- Department of Biochemistry Scholarship, The Pennsylvania State University, 1988
- Meritorious Service Medal, United States Air Force, 2005
- Health Professions Scholarship, United States Air Force, 1990
- Resident Teaching Award, University of Pittsburgh Department of Neurological Surgery, 2000
- Health Professions Officer Indoctrination Course Distinguished Graduate, 1990
- American Association of Neurological Surgeons, 2001
- American Association of Neurological Surgeons, 1995 - 2001
- American Association of Neurological Surgeons/Congress of Neurological Surgeons Joint Section on Tumors, 1998
- American Association of Neurological Surgeons/Congress of Neurological Surgeons Section on Neurotrauma and Critical Care, 1998
- American College of Surgeons, 1998 - 2005
Candidate and Associate Fellow
- American College of Surgeons, 2005
- American Medical Association, 1994
- Congress of Neurological Surgeons, 2001
- Congress of Neurological Surgeons, 1995 - 2001
- The Johns Hopkins Medical and Surgical Society, 1994
- The North American Spine Society, 2009
- Registration Committee, Congress of Neurological Surgeons, 1997
- Scientific Review Committee, AANS/CNS Spine Section, 2010
- Scientific Review Committee, AANS/CNS Spine Section, 2009
- Sergeant-at-Arms Committee, Congress of Neurological Surgeons, 1997
- Sergeant-at-Arms Committee, American Association of Neurological Surgeons, 1996 - 1999
Videos & Media
Recent News Articles and Media Coverage
Recorded online seminar "The Aches and Pains of the Aging Back"