Search the Health Library
Get the facts on diseases, conditions, tests and procedures.
I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
I Want to...
Peter Bela Illei, M.D.
Director of Immunopathology Laboratory
Assistant Professor of Pathology
Languages: English, German, Hungarian
Expertise: Pathology, Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, Pulmonary Pathology, Transplant Pathology
Research Interests: Pathology of lung transplantation; Development of novel immunohistochemichal and molecular markers for the diagnosis of solid tissue tumors; Pathology of lung cancer; Pathology of thymic neoplasms ...read more
Request an Appointment
I live in Maryland
Request an appointment through My
I live outside of Maryland
I live outside of the United States
The Johns Hopkins Hospital (Main Entrance)
Appointment Phone: 410-614-9663
1800 Orleans St.
Sheikh Zayed Tower
Baltimore, MD 21287 map
Dr. Peter Bela Illei is an assistant professor of pathology in the Division of Surgical Pathology at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine. His areas of clinical expertise include pathology and laboratory medicine, pulmonary pathology, and transplant pathology. Dr. Illei is the director of the Immunopathology Laboratory.
Dr. Illei earned his medical degree from University Pécs Medical School. He completed his residency at New York University Medical Center in pathology and performed a fellowship in oncologic pathology at Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center.
Dr. Illei’s research interests include development of novel immunohistochemichal and molecular markers for the diagnosis of solid tissue tumors, pathology of lung cancer, pathology of lung transplantation, and pathology of thymic neoplasms.
Dr. Illei received the Pulmonary Pathology Society First Prize at the 91st Annual Meeting of the United States and Canadian Academy of Pathology.
- Director of Immunopathology Laboratory
- Assistant Professor of Pathology
- Assistant Professor of Oncology
Centers & Institutes
- MD, University of Pecs Medical School (1988)
- New York University Medical Center / Pathology - Anatomic & Clinical (1998)
- Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center / Oncologic Pathology (2000)
- American Board of Pathology / Anatomic Pathology (2000)
- American Board of Pathology / Clinical Pathology (2006)
- American Board of Pathology / Cytopathology (2001)
Research & Publications
Dr. Illei’s research focuses on the immunohistochemichal and molecular characterization of lung cancers. His team is focused on developing novel tests to accurately categorize non-small cell carcinoma of the lung as well as new prognostic and therapeutic markers.
Additional research interests include the role of antibody-mediated rejection in lung transplants, immunohistochemical profiling of thymic epithelial neoplasms and the role of rapid tissue processing and rapid automated immunohistochemistry in large tertiary care facilities.
- 1. Karanjawala ZE, Illei PB, Ashfaq R, Infante JR, Murphy K, Pandey A, Schulick R, Winter J, Sharma R, Maitra A, Goggins M, Hruban RH New markers of pancreatic cancer identified through differential gene expression analyses: claudin 18 and annexin A8. Am J Surg Pathol. 2008 Feb;32(2):188-96.
- Sheridan T, Herawi M, Epstein JI, Illei PB. The Role of P501S and PSA in the Diagnosis of Metastatic Adenocarcinoma of the Prostate. Am J Surg Pathol. 2007 Sep;31(9):1351-5.
- Salaria SN, Illei P, Sharma R, Walter KM, Klein AP, Eshleman JR, Maitra A, Schulick R, Winter J, Ouellette MM, Goggins M, Hruban R. Palladin is Overexpressed in the Non-Neoplastic Stroma of Infiltrating Ductal Adenocarcinomas of the Pancreas, but is only Rarely Overexpressed in Neoplastic Cells. Cancer Biol Ther. 2007 Mar;6(3):324-8. Epub 2007 Mar 24
- Shimada S, Tsuzuki T, Kuroda M, Nagasaka T, Hara K, Takahashi E, Hayakawa S, Ono K, Maeda N, Mori N, Illei PB. Nestin expression as a new marker in malignant peripheral nerve sheath tumors. Pathol Int. 2007 Feb;57(2):60-7
- Lopez-Rios F, Chuai S, Flores R, Shimizu S, Ohno T, Wakahara K, Illei PB, Hussain S, Krug L, Zakowski MF, Rusch V, Olshen AB, Ladanyi M. Global gene expression profiling of pleural mesotheliomas: overexpression of aurora kinases and P16/CDKN2A deletion as prognostic factors and critical evaluation of microarray-based prognostic prediction. Cancer Res. 2006 Mar 15;66(6):2970-9.
- Shia J, Qin J, Erlandson RA, King R, Illei P, Nobrega J, Yao D, Klimstra DS. Malignant mesothelioma with a pronounced myxoid stroma: a clinical and pathological evaluation of 19 cases. Virchows Arch. 2005 Jul 14:1-7.
- Huang HY, Illei PB, Zhao Z, Mazumdar M, Huvos AG, Healye JH, Gorlick R, Meyers P, and Ladanyi M. Ewing sarcomas with p53 mutation or p16/p14ARF homozygous deletion: a highly lethal subset associated with poor chemoresponse. J Clin Oncol. 2005 Jan 20;23(3):548-58.
- Lopez-Rios F, Illei PB, Rusch V, Ladanyi M: Multiple lines of evidence against a role for SV40 infection in human mesotheliomas and high risk of false-positive SV40 PCR results due to presence of SV40 sequences in common laboratory plasmids. Lancet, 2004 Sep 25, 364: 1157-1166.
- Illei PB, Rusch V, Zakowski MF, Ladanyi M: Homozygous Deletion of CDKN2A and Co-Deletion of the Methylthioadenosine Phosphorylase Gene in the Majority of Pleural Mesotheliomas. Clin Can Res, 2003 Jun;9(6):2108-
- Uren A, Merchant MS, Sun CJ, Vitolo M, Sun Y, Tsokos M, Illei PB, Ladanyi M, Passaniti A, Mackall C, Toretsky JA: Beta-platelet-derived growth factor receptor mediates motility and growth of Ewings sarcoma cells. Oncogene, 2003 Apr 17;22(15):2334-42.
- Illei PB, Ladanyi M, Rusch V, Zakowski M: The use of CDKN2A deletion as a diagnostic marker for malignant mesothelioma in body cavity effusions. Cancer. 2003 Feb 25;99(1):51-6.
- Illei PB, Rosai J, Klimstra DS: Expression of thyroid transcription factor-1 and other markers in sclerosing hemangioma of the lung. Arch Pathol Lab Med, 125:1335-1339, 2001.
Illei P, Feiner H, Yin H, Chan W, Symmans F, Perle MA: Interphase cytogenetic study of chromosomes 7, 18 and X in tissue scrapes of proliferative fibrocystic disease and ductal carcinoma in situ of the breast. The Breast Journal, 4(4):252-7, 1998.
Activities & Honors
- Pulmonary Pathology Society First Prize, United States and Canadian Academy of Pathology, 2002
- Poster Award, International Congress of the International Academy of Pathology, 1996
- First Prize Young Clinical Investigator, Postgraduate Medical School, 1990
- College of American Pathologist
- Pulmonary Pathology Society
- US-Canadian Academy of Pathology