Search the Health Library
Get the facts on diseases, conditions, tests and procedures.
I Want To...
Find a Doctor
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
Adam Schiavi, M.D., M.S., Ph.D.
Assistant Professor of Anesthesiology and Critical Care Medicine
Expertise: Anesthesiology , Bioethics, Clinical Ethics, Critical Care Medicine, Neurological Critical Care, Traumatic Brain Injury
Request an Appointment
I live in Maryland
Request an appointment through My
I live outside of Maryland
I live outside of the United States
The Johns Hopkins Hospital
Appointment Phone: 410-955-5000
600 N. Wolfe Street
Meyer Building 8-140
Baltimore, MD 21287 map
Dr. Adam Schiavi is an assistant professor of anesthesiology and critical care medicine and neurology at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine. His areas of clinical expertise include anesthesiology, bioethics, clinical ethics, critical care medicine, neurological critical care and traumatic brain injury.
Dr. Schiavi received his undergraduate degree in biological science from Florida State University. He earned his Ph.D. in biochemistry and molecular biology and his M.D. from the University of Miami. He completed his residency in anesthesiology and critical care medicine and performed a fellowship in neurocritical care and neuroanesthesia at Johns Hopkins. Dr. Schiavi joined the Johns Hopkins faculty in 2008.
He serves on numerous committees at Johns Hopkins. He is a member of the American Medical Association, the American Society of Anesthesiology, the Neurocritical Care Society and the Society of Critical Care Medicine.
- Assistant Professor of Anesthesiology and Critical Care Medicine
- Assistant Professor of Neurology
- MD PhD, University of Miami School of Medicine (2004)
- Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine / Anesthesiology (2008)
- Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine (2008)
- American Board of Anesthesiology / Anesthesiology-General (2010)
Research & Publications
- Schiavi, A. Hudder, A. Werner, R. (1999) Connexin43 mRNA contains a functional internal ribosome entry site. FEBS Letters. 464(3):118-22.
- Baumbach, L., Schiavi, A., Bartlett, R., Perera, E., Day, J., Brown, MR., Stein, S., Eidson, M., Parks, J.S., Cleveland, W. (1997) Clinical, biochemical, and molecular investigations of a genetic isolate of growth hormone insensitivity (Laron''s syndrome). Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism. 82(2):444-51.
- Kobayashi, H., Baumbach, L., Matise, T.C., Schiavi, A., Greenberg, F and Hoffman, E. (1995) A gene for a severe lethal form of X-linkd arthrogryposis (X-linked infantile spinal muscular atrophy) maps to human chromosome Xp11.3-q11.2. Human Molecular Genetics. 4(7):1213-1216.
Activities & Honors
- Tuition Scholarship, University of Miami School of Medicine, 2004
- J. K. Robinson Award for service to the student body, University of Miami School of Medicine, 2004
- Iron Arrow Honor Society, University of Miami, 2004
- University of Miami Medical Women Award for Advancement of Women’s Health, University of Miami, 2001
- Letter of Honors designation, Cellular Biophysics course, University of Miami School of Medicine, 2000
- Letter of Honors designation, Neurophysiology course, University of Miami School of Medicine, 2000
- John Marsh Research Prize for excellence in research, University of Miami, 1998
- Golden Key National Honor Society, 1992
- Three year Southern Scholarship Foundation Housing Scholarship, 1989
- Silver Congressional Award for Community Service, United States Congress, 1988
- Department of Navy Academic Scholarship, 1988
- Lions Club Academic Scholarship, 1988
- Full Academic Scholarship, Indian River Community College, 1988
- Bronze Congressional Award for Community Service, United States Congress, 1986
- American Medical Association, 2000
- American Society of Anesthesiology, 2004
- Neurocritical Care Society, 2008
- Society of Critical Care Medicine, 2008
- Chairman, Johns Hopkins Hospital Ethics Committee and Consultation Service, 2008
Hospital Policy Review sub-Committee
- Ethics Executive Committee, Johns Hopkins Hospital, 2008
- Residency clinical competency committee, Anesthesiology and Critical Care Medicine, 2008
- Residency education committee, Anesthesiology and Critical Care Medicine, 2008
- Sub-Committee for Re-evaluation and design of the new DNR policy, The Johns Hopkins Hospital, 2008
Videos & Media
Recent News Articles and Media Coverage
“Hospitals, Not Fortresses,” Baltimore Sun, September 29, 2010