Search the Health Library
Get the facts on diseases, conditions, tests and procedures.
I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
Marie Naguib Hanna, M.B.B.Ch., M.D.
Director of Acute Pain Service
Associate Professor of Anesthesiology and Critical Care Medicine
Languages: English, Arabic, French
Research Interests: Regional anesthesia; Obstetric anesthesia; Anesthesia; Patient-controlled analgesia; Pain measurement; Postoperative pain; Acute pain management
Request an Appointment
I live in Maryland
Request an appointment through My
I live outside of Maryland
I live outside of the United States
The Johns Hopkins Hospital
Appointment Phone: 410-955-2544
600 N. Wolfe Street
Sheikh Zayed Tower
Baltimore, MD 21287 map
Johns Hopkins Outpatient Center
Appointment Phone: 410-955-1300
601 N. Caroline St.
Baltimore, MD 21287 map
Dr. Marie N. Hanna is an associate professor of anesthesiology and critical care medicine at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine. Dr. Hanna specializes in obstetric anesthesia, as well as regional and acute pain management. She serves as the director of the Acute Pain Service and the chief of the Division of Regional Anesthesia and Acute Pain Management.
Dr. Hanna has been instrumental in developing regional anesthesia and pain management educational programs for residents, fellows and faculty in the U.S. and abroad. She recently worked with United Arab Emirates physicians to establish a pain-management education research project there.
Her many educational roles at Johns Hopkins include serving as the associate director of the Anesthesiology and Critical Care Medicine Residency Program, as well as the director of Pain Management and Regional Anesthesia Education.
Dr. Hanna earned her medical degree at Ain Shams University in Cairo, Egypt. She completed anesthesiology residencies at both the Loyola University School of Medicine and Cairo’s Coptic Hospital. She also completed an internal medicine internship at Metro West Medical Center in Framingham, Massachusetts, and served as a research assistant at Massachusetts General Hospital.
Prior to joining the Johns Hopkins faculty in 2005, Dr. Hanna served on the faculty of the University of Kentucky Department of Anesthesiology, where she led the Regional Anesthesia Program during her final two years.
Dr. Hanna is a member of the American Society of Regional Anesthesia. She has co-authored four book chapters, published more than 15 journal articles and delivered invited lectures around the world.
- Director of Acute Pain Service
- Associate Director, Residency Program
- Chief, Division of Regional Anesthesia and Acute Pain Management
- Associate Professor of Anesthesiology and Critical Care Medicine
- MBBCh, Ain Shams University (1985)
- Coptic Hospital / Anesthesiology (1989)
- Loyola University School of Medicine / Anesthesiology (1997)
- American Board of Anesthesiology / Anesthesiology (1999)
Research & Publications
- Hanna MN, González-Fernández M, Barrett AD, Williams KA, Pronovost P. "Does patient perception of pain control affect patient satisfaction across surgical units in a tertiary teaching hospital?" Am J Med Qual. 2012 Sep-Oct;27(5):411-6. doi: 10.1177/1062860611427769. Epub 2012 Feb 16.
- Murphy JD, Ouanes JP, Togioka BM, Sumida SM, Isaac GR, Gelfand HJ, Hanna MN. "Comparison of air and liquid for use in loss-of-resistance technique during labor epidurals: A meta-analysis." J Anesth Clinic Res 2011; 2:175. doi:10.4172/2155-6148.1000175.
- Hanna MN, Sloan PA. "A comparison of levobupivacaine and ropivacaine for interscalene and femoral nerve blocks: A randomized double-blind, prospective clinical trial." J Anesth Clinic Res 2011; 2:135. doi:10.4172/2155-6148.1000135.
- Hanna MN, Jeffries MA, Hamzehzadeh S, Richman JM, Veloso PM, Cox L, Wu CL. "Survey of the utilization of regional and general anesthesia in a tertiary teaching hospital." Reg Anesth Pain Med 2009; 34(3):224-228.
- Hanna MN, Elhassan A, Veloso PM, Lesley M, Lissauer J, Richman JM, Wu CL. "Efficacy of bicarbonate in decreasing pain on intradermal injection of local anesthetics: A meta-analysis." Reg Anesth Pain Med 2009; 34(2):122-125.
Activities & Honors
- Armstrong Award, The Armstrong Institute for Patient Safety and Quality, 2012
- Award in Leadership Program for Woman Faculty, Johns Hopkins University, 2011
- Abraham Flexner Master Educator Award in Educational Innovation and Development, Center for Excellence in Medical Education, 2003
- Circles of Power Award in Leadership for Woman Faculty, University of Kentucky, 2003
- American Society of Regional Anesthesia, 2007
- Editorial board, Regional Anesthesia and Pain Medicine, 2005
- Peer review, Journal of Urology, 2005