Search the Health Library
Get the facts on diseases, conditions, tests and procedures.
I Want To...
Find a Doctor
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
John Burthorne Sampson, Jr, M.D.
Executive Director, Johns Hopkins Austere Anesthesia Health Outcomes Research Group
Assistant Professor of Anesthesiology and Critical Care Medicine
Research Interests: Health care in Africa; Perioperative care in Africa; Anesthesia in austere environments; Obstetric and gynecologic surgical procedures; Regional anesthesia; Critical care medicine; Anesthesiology ...read more
Request an Appointment
Johns Hopkins Outpatient Center
Appointment Phone: 410-955-1300
601 N. Caroline St.
Baltimore, MD 21287 map
Dr. John B. Sampson is an assistant professor of anesthesiology and critical care medicine at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine. He serves as the director of anesthesia for the Johns Hopkins Global Surgical Initiative’s Collaborative for Surgery, Obstetrics, Anesthesiology and Public Health. Dr. Sampson is also executive director of the Johns Hopkins Austere Anesthesia Health Outcomes Research Group.
A neuroanesthesiologist, Dr. Sampson is dedicated to promoting excellence in patient care in anesthesiology and critical care medicine. Dr. Sampson also is committed to improving perioperative care and raising awareness of health care problems in Africa among medical partners.
The founder and president of Doctors for United Medical Missions (DrUMM), he has taught and practiced medicine in eight countries outside of the U.S. Through his work with DrUMM and Pro-Health International, Dr. Sampson has been instrumental in leading and organizing the many American volunteers in Africa who have touched the lives of Africans in need of medical care.
Dr. Sampson earned his medical degree at the University of California, San Francisco Medical School. He completed anesthesiology residencies at Howard University Hospital and the University of Mississippi Medical Center. He also performed a critical care medicine fellowship at Florida’s Mayo Clinic Hospital.
Dr. Sampson is American Board of Anesthesiology-certified in both anesthesiology and critical care medicine.
- Executive Director, Johns Hopkins Austere Anesthesia Health Outcomes Research Group
- Anesthesia Director, Collaborative for Surgery, Obstetrics, Anesthesiology and Public Health, Johns Hopkins Global Surgical Initiative
- Assistant Professor of Anesthesiology and Critical Care Medicine
- MD, University of California San Francisco (1989)
- University of Mississippi Medical Center / Anesthesiology (1991)
- Howard University Hospital / Anesthesiology (1994)
- Mayo Clinic (Jacksonville) / Critical Care Medicine (1995)
- American Board of Anesthesiology / Anesthesiology (1995)
- American Board of Anesthesiology / Critical Care Medicine (1995)
Research & Publications
Dr. Sampson serves as executive director of the Johns Hopkins Austere Anesthesia Health Outcomes Research Group.
The group’s mission is to provide relevant, appropriate, affordable and sustainable solutions to improve anesthesia and perioperative care in austere environments.
Investigators currently are working with clinicians in the African nations of Ghana, Ethiopia and Kenya.
Sampson JB. "Critical Challenges in Africa." Critical Care Connections, Volume 3, Number 4, 2004.
Buckenmaier CC 3rd, Lee EH, Shields CH, Sampson JB, Chiles JH. "Regional anesthesia in austere environments." Reg Anesth Pain Med. 2003 Jul-Aug;28(4):321-7.
Sampson JB. "Anesthesiology Leadership in Medical Preparedness for Biological and Chemical Atrocities." American Society of Anesthesiology Newsletter, 66(3), 2002.
Activities & Honors
- Member, American Association for Geriatric Psychiatry, 2007
- National Medical Association
- Member of Korle Bu Neuroscience Foundation
- Member of the Society of Neuroanesthesia and Neurocritical Care
- Member of the Society of Critical Care Medicine
- Member of the American Society of Anesthesiologists
- Director of Medical Volunteerism, Accreditation Commission on Colleges of Medicine
- Founder and President, Doctors for United Medical Missions