Search the Health Library
Get the facts on diseases, conditions, tests and procedures.
I Want To...
Find a Doctor
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
Jamie Deneen Murphy, M.D.
Director of Obstetric Anesthesia
Assistant Professor of Anesthesiology and Critical Care Medicine
Expertise: Anesthesiology, Obstetric Anesthesiology
Research Interests: Post Partum Analgesia; Post-cesarean section pain management; Post Partum hemorrhage
Request an Appointment
The Johns Hopkins Hospital
Appointment Phone: 410-955-5608
1800 Orleans Street
Sheikh Zayed Tower 8120 ACCM
Baltimore, MD 21287 map
Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center
Appointment Phone: 410-955-6353
4940 Eastern Avenue
Baltimore, MD 21224 map
Dr. Jamie Murphy is an assistant professor of anesthesiology and critical care medicine and obstetrics and gynecology at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine. Her areas of clinical expertise include routine and high-risk obstetric anesthesiology and critical care OB anesthesia. Dr. Murphy also serves as the director of obstetric anesthesia.
Dr. Murphy received her undergraduate degree in kinesiology sciences, health and human performance from the University of Maryland and earned her M.D. from Drexel University. She completed her residency in anesthesiology and a fellowship in obstetric anesthesia at The Johns Hopkins Hospital. Dr. Murphy joined the Johns Hopkins faculty in 2007.
Dr. Murphy's research interests include postpartum hemorrhage, postpartum analgesia and post-cesarean section pain management.
Dr. Murphy serves as a peer reviewer for The Journal of Maternal-Fetal and Neonatal Medicine and Regional Anesthesia and Pain Medicine and is a member of the American Society of Anesthesiologists and the Society of Obstetric Anesthesiology and Perinatology. She received a Synergy Award from the Johns Hopkins School of Medicine for her study titled "The Evaluation of Right Sided Heart Pathology and Right Ventricular Systolic Pressure in Pre-Eclamptic Patients with Severe Features."
- Director of Obstetric Anesthesia
- Assistant Professor of Anesthesiology and Critical Care Medicine
- Assistant Professor of Gynecology and Obstetrics
- MD, Drexel University College of Medicine (2003)
- Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine / Anesthesiology and Critical Care Medicine (2007)
- American Board of Anesthesiology / Anesthesiology (2009)
Research & Publications
- Lin EE, Lee LH, Richman JM, Murphy JD, Wu CL. Meta-analysis of Chlorhexidine versus Povidone-Iodine for Sterile Preparation Prior to Neuraxial Techniques. Regional Anesthesia and Pain Medicine. Under Review
- Murphy JD, Togioka B. "Aspiration risk in early pregnancy: risk factors revisited. Commentary." Journal of Clinical Anesthesiology. 2011 Sep;23(6):435-6.
- Murphy JD, Gelfand HJ, Bicket MC, Ouanes JP, Kumar KK, Isaac GR, Wu CL. "Analgesic Efficacy of Intravenous Naloxone for the Treatment of Postoperative Pruritus: a Meta-analysis." Journal of Opioid Management. 2011 Jul-Aug;7(4):321-7.
- Liu SS, Togioka BM, Hurley RW, Vu CM, Hanna MN, Murphy JD, Wu CL. "Methodological Quality of Randomized Controlled Trials of Postoperative Epidural Analgesia: Validation of the Epidural Analgesia Trial Checklist as a Specific Instrument to Evaluate Methodology." Reg Anesth Pain Med. 2010 Nov;35(6):549-55.
- George JA, Lin EE, Hanna MN, Murphy JD, Kumar K, Ko P, Wu CL. "The effect of patient-controlled analgesia with and without background infusion on respiratory depression: a meta-analysis." Journal of Opioid Management. 2010 Jan-Feb;6(1):47-54.
- Murphy JD, Yan D, Hanna MN, Bravos ED, Isaac GR, Eng CA, Wu CL. "Comparison of the Postoperative Analgesic Efficacy of Intravenous Patient-Controlled Analgesia with Tramadol to Intravenous Patient Controlled Analgesia with Opioids." Journal of Opioid Management. 2010 Mar-Apr;6(2): 141-147.
- Hanna MN, Murphy JD, Kumar K, Wu CL. "Postoperative Pain Management in the Elderly Undergoing Thoracic Surgery." Thoracic Surgery Clinics. August 2009 Aug;19(3): 353-61.
- Hanna MN, Murphy JD, Kumar K, Wu CL. "Regional Techniques and Outcome: what is the evidence?" Current Opinion in Anesthesiology. 2009 V 22 p 672-677.
- Sumida S, Lesley MR, Hanna MN, Murphy JD, Kumar K, Wu CL. "Meta-analysis of the Effect of Extended-release Epidural Morphine versus IV-PCA on Respiratory Depression." Journal of Opioid Management. 2009 Sep-Oct;5(5):301-5.
- Murphy JD, Slodzinski, MK. "Case of Right Ventricular Outflow Tract Tachycardia In The Parturient: Case Report." International Journal of Obstetric Anesthesia. 2008 Jul;17(3):275-8.
- Cootauco AC, Murphy JD, Blakemore KJ, Slodzinski MK. "Atrial natriuretic peptide (ANP) production and natiuretic peptide receptors in the human uterus and their effect on myometrial relaxation. American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology." Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2008 Aug 7.
- Richman JM, Carter HB, Hanna MN, Murphy JD, Rowlingson AJ, Andrews RA, Wu CL. "Efficacy of local anesthetics for prostate biopsy: a meta-analysis." Urology. 2006;67:1224-8.
- Laio W, Murphy JD. Anemia. Manual of Clinical Anesthesia. Manual of Clinical Anesthesia. 1st Edition. 2011.
- Laio W, Murphy JD. PACU Care and Monitoring. Manual of Clinical Anesthesia. 1st Edition. 2011.
- Grigorieva A, Murphy JD. Positioning. Manual of Clinical Anesthesia. 1st Edition. 2011.
- Murphy JD, Gelfand HJ, Wu CL. Intrathecal Opioid Injections for Postoperative Pain. Essentials of Pain Medicine. 2011.
- Murphy JD, Gelfand HJ, Wu CL. Epidural Opioids for Postoperative Pain. Essentials of Pain Medicine. 2011.
- Colon N, Murphy, JD. Obstetric Anesthesia. Johns Hopkins Manual of Gynecology and Obstetrics. 2009.
- Phelps M, Kim D., Murphy JD, Harris A. Obstetric Anesthesia. Johns Hopkins Handbook of Anesthesia. 2007.
Activities & Honors
- Synergy Award, Johns Hopkins School of Medicine, 2014
- Top Doctors 2011, Baltimore Magazine, 2011
- Who’s Who in Medical Higher Education, 2003
- Alpha Omega Alpha Medical Honor Society, 2003
- Medical Scholars Program, Drexel University College of Medicine, 2003
- Magna Cum Laude, University of Maryland College Park, 1997
- Golden Key National Honor Society, 1997
- Phi Alpha Epsilon Honors Society of Health and Human Performance, President, 1997
- Phi Kappa Phi Honor Society, 1995
- American Society of Anesthesiologists, 2007
- Anesthesiology/Critical Care Medicine Compensation Committee, 2013
- Society of Obstetric Anesthesiology and Perinatology, 2007
- Clinical Competency Committee, The Johns Hopkins Hospital, 2010
Department of Anesthesiology and Critical Care Medicine
- Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology National Chairman Search Committee, The Johns Hopkins Hospital, 2012
- Executive Service Committee, The Johns Hopkins Hospital, 2013
Department of Anesthesiology and Critical Care Medicine
- Gynecology SSI Committee, The Johns Hopkins Hospital, 2009
- OB Optimal Endings Committee, The Johns Hopkins Hospital, 2011
- OR Practices and Procedures Committee, The Johns Hopkins Hospital, 2010
- Patient Centered Care Across Maternity Services Clinical Community, The Johns Hopkins Hospital, 2012
- Peer reviewer, Regional Anesthesia and Pain Medicine, 2013
- Peer reviewer, The Journal of Maternal, Fetal and Neonatal Medicine, 2010
Videos & Media
Recent News Articles and Media Coverage
“Top Doctors 2011,” Baltimore Magazine