Dr. Gamaldo's research interests include studying the impact of sleep on manifestation and progression of neurological diseases. Looking at this relationship between sleep and disease progression in HIV will serve as the foundation for future work focused on the impact of sleep loss on other aspects of neurobiological function. By conducting this research, it is serving as a model for sleep research using the efforts of a diverse group of interdisciplinary collaborators and as a result has led to ongoing and evolving research projects that now include a growing list of collaborators (Neurology, OB/Gyn, Psychiatry, Urology, School of Nursing and Public Health along with the National Institute on Aging). The results of this study are suggesting that compromised sleep quality and duration may have a significant impact on cognitive performance in HIV+ individuals. Learn more about this study.
Find out about clinicial trials at Johns Hopkins Medicine.
Clinical Trial Keywords:
1. Pearson VE, Allen RP, Dean T, Gamaldo CE, Lesage SR, Earley CJ. Cognitive deficits associated with restless legs syndrome (RLS). Sleep Med. 2006 Jan; 7(1):25-30.
2. Gamaldo CE, Benbrook AR, Allen RP, Scott JA, Henning WA, Earley CJ. Childhood and adult factors associated with restless legs syndrome (RLS) diagnosis. Sleep Med. 2007 Nov;8(7-8):716-22.
3. Gamaldo CE, Benbrook AR, Allen RP, Oguntimein O, Earley CJ. A further evaluation of the cognitive deficits associated with restless legs syndrome (RLS). Sleep Med. 2007 Sep 13;
4. Pearson VE, Gamaldo CE, Allen RP, Lesage S, Hening WA, Earley CJ. Medication use in patients with restless legs syndrome compared with a control population. Eur J Neurol. 2008 Jan; 15(1):16-21.
5. Gamaldo CE, Benbrook AR, Allen RP, Oguntimein O, Earley CJ. Evaluating daytime alertness in individuals with restless legs syndrome (RLS) compared to sleep restricted controls. Sleep Med. 2008 Jan 26;
6. Bolla KI, Lesage S, Gamaldo C, Neubauer D, Funderburk F, Cadet JL, David P, Verdejo-Garcia A, Benbrook A. Sleep disturbance in heavy marijuana users. Sleep. 2008 Jun 1;31(6):901-8.
7. Gamaldo CE, Salas R. Sleep medicine education: are medical schools and residency programs napping on the job? Nat Clin Pract Neurol. 2008 Jun;4(6):344-45.
8. Gamaldo,C, Benbrook,AR, Allen,RP, Oguntimein, O, Earley, CJ. Evaluating Daytime Alertness in individuals with Restless Legs Syndrome (RLS) compared to sleep restricted controls. Sleep Medicine. 2009 10:134-138.
9. Salas RE, Gamaldo CE, Allen RP, Earley CJ. Quiescegenic Nocturnal Dyskinesia: A restless legs syndrome (RLS) variant or a new syndrome? Sleep Med. 2008 Aug 13. [Epub ahead of print]
10. Salas,RE, Allen,RP, Earley,CJ, Gamaldo,CE. A Case of Compulsive Behaviors Observed in a RLS Patient Treated with a Dopamine Agonist. Sleep, accepted for publication 2009.
11. Salas,RE, Allen,RP, Earley,CJ, Gamaldo,CE. Drug hoarding: A case of atypical dopamine dysregulation syndrome in a RLS patient. Movement Disorders, 2009 Jan 9. [Epub ahead of print]
12.Gamaldo,C, Benbrook,AR, Allen,RP, Oguntimein, O, Earley, CJ. Evaluating Daytime Alertness in individuals with Restless Legs Syndrome (RLS) compared to sleep restricted controls. Sleep Medicine. 2009 10:134-138.
13. Bolla KI, Lesage SR, Gamaldo CE, Neubauer DN, Wang N, Funderburk FR, Allen RP, David PM, Cadet JL. Polysomnogram Changes in Marijuana Users Reporting Sleep Disturbances during Prior Abstinence. Sleep Medicine. 2010 Oct;11(9):882-9.
14. Earley C, Kuwabara H, Wong D, Gamaldo C, Salas R, Brasic J, Ravert H, Dannals R, Allen R, The Dopamine Transporter is Decreased in the Striatum of Subjects with Restless Legs Syndrome. Sleep, 2011 Mar 1; 34(3): 341-7.