Search the Health Library
Get the facts on diseases, conditions, tests and procedures.
I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
Jon K Meyer, M.D.
Associate Professor of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences
Expertise: Adult Psychiatry, Psychiatry, Psychoanalysis, Psychotherapy, Sexual Disorders
Research Interests: Psychoanalysis
Request an Appointment
I live in Maryland
Request an appointment through My
I live outside of Maryland
I live outside of the United States
Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center
Appointment Phone: 410-550-0171
4940 Eastern Avenue
Baltimore, MD 21224 map
Dr. Meyer was Special Assistant to the Director, NIMH, and Chief, National Clearinghouse for Mental Health Information. At Hopkins he was Director, Gender Identity Clinic and Gender Identity Committee. He was the founder of the Sexual Behaviors Consultation Unit. He went to the Medical College of Wisconsin to develop its Division of Psychoanalysis and Psychotherapy Center. As Professor of Psychiatry and Psychoanalysis, Dr. Meyer, was very active in psychoanalysis. He served as president, American Psychoanalytic Association, and Chair, House of Delegates, International Psychoanalytic Association. He was Erik Erikson Scholar in Residence, the Austen Riggs Center, was awarded the Edith Sabshin Teaching Award, served on the Editorial Board of JAPA, and was invited to the Center for Advanced Psychoanalytic Studies. Since returning to Baltimore, he has been on the Board of the Washington Psychoanalytic Center, where he is training and supervising analyst, and is a teaching analyst at the Baltimore-Washington Center. Dr. Meyer also holds appointments as Clinical Professor of Psychiatry at the University of Maryland and Georgetown University....read more
- Associate Professor of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences
Departments / Divisions
- MD, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine (1964)
- Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine / Psychiatry (1967)
- St Elizabeth's Hospital - Commission on Mental Health Services / Psychiatry (1968)
- Johns Hopkins Hospital Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Science / Psychiatry (1969)
- American Board of Psychiatry & Neurology / Psychiatry (1972)
Research & Publications
Clinical Trial KeywordsPsychoanalysis, Psychoanalytic Process
Selected PublicationsMeyer, J. (1988). A case of hysteria: with a note on biology. Journal of the American Psychoanalytic Association, 36:319-346.
Meyer, J. (1988). The concept of adult psychic structure. 75th Anniversary Supplement, Journal of the American Psychoanalytic Association, 36:101-112.
Meyer, J. (1991). The concept of adult psychic structure. In: Shapiro, T., ed., The Concept of Structure in Psychoanalysis. New York: IUP, pp. 101-112. (Reviewed in Am. J. Psychiatry, 151 (5), p. 772, 1994.)
Meyer, J., and Maletic, V. (1991). The clinical and theoretical structures of adult phobias. Psychoanalytic Inquiry, 11:333-350.
Meyer, J. and Debbink, N. (2003). Reanalysis in the career of the psychoanalyst. In: Wyman, H., and Wittenberg, S. eds., Festschrift for Milton Horowitz. Journal of Clinical Psychoanalysis, 12(1): 55-71.
Meyer, J. (2007). Training Analysis and Reanalysis in the Development of a Psychoanalyst. Journal of the American Psychoanalytic Association, 55: 1100, 1103-1128.
Activities & Honors
- Daniel Webster National Scholar, Freshman Chemistry Prize,Francis L. Town Scientific Prize, Phi Beta Kappa (Junior Year), Senior Fellow, Rufus Choate Scholar-Dartmouth College
- Denison Research Prize, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine
- Erik Erikson Scholar in Residence, Austen Riggs Center
- Edith Sabshin Teaching Award, American Psychoanalytic Association
- American College of Psychoanalysts
- American Psychiatric Association
- American Psychoanalytic Association
- Canadian Psychoanalytic Association
- Center for Advanced Psychoanalytic Studies
- International Psychoanalytic Association
- Washington (DC) Psychoanalytic Society
- William Alanson White Psychoanalytic Society
- Chair, American Psychoanalytic Association
Board of Directors
- Chair, American Psychoanaltic Association
- Chair, International Psychoanalytic Association
House of Delegates
- President, American Psychoanalytic Association
- President Elect, American Psychoanalytic Association
- Secretary, American Psychoanalytic Association