Search the Health Library
Get the facts on diseases, conditions, tests and procedures.
I Want To...
Find a Doctor
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
Steven Clark Cunningham, M.D.
Languages: English, French, Spanish
Expertise: Ablation, Adrenal Surgery, Alimentary Tract Diseases, Benign and malignant diseases of small bowel, colon, hernias, Benign Liver Lesions, Bile Duct Cancer, Bile Duct Disease, Bile Duct Injury, Bile Duct Surgery, Bile Duct Tumors, Biliary Disease, Biliary Tract Surgery, Carcinoid Syndrome, Carcinoid Tumors, Cholangiocarcinoma, Colorectal Metastases to the Liver, Gallbladder Cancer, Gallbladder Disorders, Gallbladder Surgery, Gallstones, Gastrointestinal Diseases, General Surgery, Hemangiomas, Hepatobiliary Surgery, Hepatocellular Cancer, Hepatopancreatobiliary Surgery, Intrahepatic Cholangiocarcinoma, Klatskin Tumors, Laparoscopic and Minimally Invasive Surgery, Laparoscopic Surgery, Liver Cancer, Liver Cysts, Liver Mass, Liver Tumors, Neuroendocrine Tumors, Pancreatic and Biliary Disease, Pancreatic Cancer, Pancreatic Cysts, Pancreatic Surgery, Pancreatic Tumors, Pancreatitis, Spleen Surgery, Splenectomy , Stomach Surgery, Surgery, Surgical Oncology, Tumors, Benign, Whipple Procedure ...read more
Appointment Phone: 443-574-8500
10710 Charter Drive
Medical Pavilion at Howard County Suite 230
Columbia, MD 21044 map
Baltimore Medical Center
Appointment Phone: 443-574-8500
3407 Wilkens Avenue
Baltimore, MD 21229 map
Dr. Cunningham earned his M.D. from George Washington University and completed general surgery residency at the University of Maryland. He has completed fellowships in both oncology research and pancreatic and hepatobiliary surgery at Johns Hopkins Hospital.
Dr. Cunningham is board-certified in general surgery and certified by the Americas Hepato-Pancreato-Biliary Association. Throughout his career, he has been a prolific contributor and editor with over 100 contributions to a variety of medical journals, guidelines, conferences and textbooks [see Research tab]. He has also served as a Cancer Liaison Physician for the American College of Surgeons, Commission on Cancer.
A member the American College of Surgeons, the Society for American Gastrointestinal & Endoscopic Surgeons, the Americas Hepato-Pancreato-Biliary Association, the International Hepato-Pancreato-Biliary Association, the Society for Surgical Oncology, the Society for Surgery of the Alimentary Tract, and the Pancreas Club, Dr. Cunningham offers world-class multidisciplinary and minimally invasive evaluation and treatment of pancreatic, biliary and liver diseases, both benign and malignant.
- TRA, Creighton University School of Medicine (1998)
- MD, George Washington University School of Medicine (2001)
- University of Maryland Medical Center / Surgery (2009)
- Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine (2010)
- American Board of Surgery / General Surgery (2010)
Research & Publications
Selected PublicationsView all on Pubmed
Cunningham SC, Poliakova L, Silver K, Farney AC; Bartlett ST, Philosophe B, Leeser DB. Treating refractory chronic pancreatitis with total pancreatectomy and islet autotransplantation. Contemp Surg. 2005;61:192-198.
Makary MA, Winter J, Cameron JL, Campbell KA, Cunningham SC, Chang D, Riall TS, Yeo CJ. Pancreaticoduodenectomy in the very elderly. J Gastrointest Surg. 2006;10:347-356.
DeOliveira ML, Winter JM, Schafer M, Cunningham SC, Cameron JL, Yeo CJ, Clavien P-A. Assessment of complications after pancreatic surgery: A novel grading system applied to 633 patients undergoing pancreaticoduodenectomy. Ann Surg 2006;244:931-7.
DeOliveira ML*, Cunningham SC*, Kamangar F, Lillemoe KD, Choti MA, Cameron JL, Yeo CJ, Schulick RD. Cholangiocarcinoma: 31-Year experience with 564 patients at a single institution. Ann Surg 2007;245:755-62. * FIRST AUTHOR SHARED
Cunningham SC, Pawlik TM. Two-stage hepatectomy for metastatic colorectal cancer to the liver. Curr Colorectal Cancer Rep 2008;4:93–99.
Cunningham SC, Tsai S, Marques HP, Mira P, Barroso E, Cameron A, Philosophe B, Pawlik TM. Management of early hepatocellular carcinoma in patients with well-compensated cirrhosis. Ann Surg Oncol 2009;16:1820-31.
Cunningham SC, Hruban RH, Schulick RD. Differentiating IPMN from other pancreatic cystic lesion. W J Gastrointest Surg 2010;2:331-6.
Jani N, Bani Hani M, Schulick RD, Hruban RH, and Cunningham SC. Diagnosis and management of cystic lesions of the pancreas. Diag Ther Endosc 2011;2011:478913.
Darwazeh G, Villaverde AP, Kowdley GC, Cunningham SC. Minimally invasive treatment of colorectal liver metastases. Min Chir 2013;68:27-39.
Abdo A, Jani N, Cunningham SC. Pancreatic duct disruption and nonoperative management: the SEALANTS approach. Hepatobiliary Pancreat Dis Int. 2013;12:239-43.
Patel K, Gormley P, Iacobuzio-Donahue CA, Gormley PE, Kern SE, Cunningham SC. Are we systematically under-dosing patients with 5FU? J Clin Oncol 2014, Mar 10. [Epub ahead of print].
Wu B, Buddensick T, Ferdosi H, Narducci DM, Sautter A, Setiawan L, Shaukat H, Siddique M, Sulkowski G, Kamangar F, Kowdley GC, Cunningham SC. Predicting gangrenous cholecystitis. HPB 2014;6:801-6.
Goussous N, Kowdley GC, Sardana N, Spiegler E, Cunningham SC. Gallbladder dysfunction: How much longer will it be controversial? Digestion 2014;90:147–154
Bani Hani M, Ihim I, Harps J, Cunningham SC. A breath of fresh air: a quality-improvement study comparing an air-circulating technique versus conventional technique to prevent nasogastric tube dysfunction. BMC Nurs 2015;14:63.
Dairi S, Demeusy A, Sill AM, Patel ST, Kowdley GC, Cunningham SC. Implications of gallbladder cholesterolosis and cholesterol polyps? J Surg Res 2016;200:467–72.
Activities & Honors
- Award for Outstanding Performance as Teaching Assistant, Creighton University Department of Chemistry, 1994
- Award for Best of Show, Award for Sculpture, Creighton University Annual Juried Art Show, 1994
- Departmental Award for Excellence in Modern Languages, Creighton University, 1995
- Winner, The New Physician Annual Poetry Contest, 1998
- Resident Research Award, Surgical Infection Society, 2004
- First-Place Award, ACS Committee on Trauma Regional Residents' Competition, 2004
- Honorary Resident Inductee, Gold Humanism Medical Student Honor Society, 2009
- Award: Certificate of Recognition for "Amazing Service" to Patients, 5-time recipient, 2013
- The Carol and Tom R. DeMeester Traveling Fellowship for Surgeons, Society for Surgery of the Alimentary Tract, 2016
- American College of Surgeons, 2001
- American Hepato-Pancreato-Biliary Association, 2010
- American Medical Association, 1997
- Association for Academic Surgery, 2004
- International Hepato-Pancreato-Biliary Association, 2009
- Scientific Research Society, 1997
- Society for Surgery of the Alimentary Tract, 2011
- Society of American Gastrointestinal & Endoscopic Surgeons, 2008
- Society of Surgical Oncology, 2005
- The Pancreas Club, 2011