Search the Health Library
Get the facts on diseases, conditions, tests and procedures.
I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
Kevin B Gerold, D.O., J.D.
Division Director, Critical Care Medicine
Associate Professor of Anesthesiology and Critical Care Medicine
Request an Appointment
I live in Maryland
Request an appointment through My
I live outside of Maryland
I live outside of the United States
Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center
Appointment Phone: 410-550-0942
4940 Eastern Avenue
A5W Suite 500
Baltimore, MD 21224 map
Dr. Kevin B. Gerold is an assistant professor of anesthesiology and critical care medicine at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine. He is director of the Division of Critical Care Medicine and a member of the Johns Hopkins Division of Special Operations.
Dr. Gerold received his undergraduate degree from Fairfield University and his Doctor of Osteopathy from the Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine. He completed a residency in anesthesiology and a fellowship in critical care medicine and trauma anesthesiology at the University of Maryland Medical Center. Dr. Gerold then received a master’s degree in education from the University of Maryland. He joined the anesthesiology faculty at the University of Maryland while also attending law school. He received his Juris Doctor in 2000 and joined the Johns Hopkins faculty in 2002.
In 2005, Dr. Gerold became co-director of the surgical intensive care unit and burn intensive care unit at Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center.
Dr. Gerold serves as a tactical physician for the Maryland State Police. He is a member of the Society of Critical Care Medicine, the International Anesthesia Research Society, the American Bar Association and the Maryland State Bar Association.
- Division Director, Critical Care Medicine
- Associate Professor of Anesthesiology and Critical Care Medicine
- Joint Appointment in Emergency Medicine
- DO, Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine (1983)
- University of Maryland Medical Center / Anesthesiology (1986)
- University of Maryland Medical Center / Critical Care Medicine (1987)
- American Board of Anesthesiology / Anesthesiology (1987)
- American Board of Anesthesiology / Critical Care Medicine (1989)
Research & Publications
- Gerold KB, Dauphinee K, MacKenzie C and the LOTAS Group. "Hypotension in the Acutely Traumatized Patient." In Lois Bready, R. Brian Smith (Eds.) Decision Making in Anesthesiology, 3rd Ed. St. Louis: Mosby Yearbook, 1998.
- Culotta V, Sementilli ME, Gerold KB, Watts CC. "Clinicopathological heterogeneity in the classification of mild head injury." Neurosurgery. 1996 Feb;38(2):245-50.
- Gerold KB, Nussbaum EM. Understanding Mechanical Ventilation. In N. Ciesla (Ed.), "Acute Care of Trauma Patients": Part II. Physical Therapy Practice. 3 (2), 1994.
- Bernhard WN, Tarantino DP, Gerold KB. "Critical care management of the trauma patient." In Myer Rosenthal (Ed.), Recent Advances in Critical Care Medicine. International Anesthesiology Clinics. 31 (2), 1993.
- Gerold KB, Dauphinee K, MacKenzie C and the LOTAS Group. "Hypotension in the Acutely Traumatized Patient." In Lois Bready, R. Brian Smith (Eds.) Decision Making in Anesthesiology, 2nd Ed. St. Louis: Mosby Yearbook, 1992.
Activities & Honors
- Hero Award, R Adams Cowley Shock Trauma Center, 2000
- American Bar Association
- International Anesthesia Research Society
- Maryland State Bar Association
- Society of Critical Care Medicine
- Tactical Physician, Maryland State Police