Search the Health Library
Get the facts on diseases, conditions, tests and procedures.
I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
I Want to...
Judy Huang, M.D.
Director, Department of Neurosurgery, Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center
Professor of Neurosurgery
Languages: English, Mandarin, Taiwanese
Expertise: Aneurysmal Subarachnoid Hemorrhage (ASH), Arteriovenous Malformations (AVM), Brain Cancer, Brain Hemorrhage, Brain Tumors, Carotid Artery Stenosis, Cavernous Malformations, Cerebellar Ataxia, Cerebral Aneurysms, Cerebral Revascularization, Cerebrovascular Diseases, Cervical Degenerative Disc Disease, Chiari Malformations, Complex Skull Reconstruction, Cranioplasty, Dural Arteriovenous Fistulas, Intracerebral Hemorrhage , Moyamoya Disease, Neurosurgery, Spinal Vascular Malformations ...read more
Research Interests: cerebral ischemia
Request an Appointment
I live in Maryland
Request an appointment through My
I live outside of Maryland
I live outside of the United States
The Johns Hopkins Hospital
Appointment Phone: 410-550-4076
600 N. Wolfe Street
Sheikh Zayed Tower 6115F
Baltimore, MD 21287 map
Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center
Appointment Phone: 410-550-4076
301 Mason Lord Drive
Baltimore, MD 21224 map
Dr. Judy Huang specializes in the treatment of cerebrovascular disorders such as cerebral aneurysms, cartoid artery stenosis, and arteriovenous malformations (AVMs).
- Director, Department of Neurosurgery, Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center
- Director of Cerebrovascular Neurosurgery, Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center
- Director, Neurosurgery Residency Program
- Director, Cerebrovascular Neurosurgery Fellowship Program
- Co-Director, Multidisciplinary Adult Cranioplasty Center
- Professor of Neurosurgery
Departments / Divisions
- Neurosurgery - Vascular Neurosurgery
- Radiation Oncology and Molecular Radiation Sciences
- MD, Columbia University College of Physicians and Surg (1995)
- Columbia University College of Physicians and Surg / Neurological Surgery (2002)
- American Board of Neurological Surgery / Neurological Surgery (2006, 2026)
Research & Publications
Dr. Huang's research concentrates on the inflammatory mechanisms of stroke. She is further investigating gender differences in stroke and other cerebrovascular diseases. She has published extensively on experimental studies of stroke and on carotid endarterectomy. She is also a co-author of a widely used handbook of operative neurosurgery. Dr. Huang also performs clinical research in areas such as intracerebral hemorrhage and aneurysmal subarachnoid hemorrhage.
Clinical Trial KeywordsCerebral Vasospasm, Intracerebral Hemorrhage
Selected PublicationsView all on Pubmed
Contralateral approach for clipping of bilateral anterior circulation aneurysms.
Caplan JM, Sankey E, Gullotti D, Wang J, Westbroek E, Hwang B, Huang J.
Neurosurg Focus. 2015 Jul;39 Video Suppl 1:V9. doi: 10.3171/2015.7.FocusVid.14599.
The minipterional craniotomy for anterior circulation aneurysms: initial experience with 72 patients.
Caplan JM, Papadimitriou K, Yang W, Colby GP, Coon AL, Olivi A, Tamargo RJ, Huang J.
Neurosurgery. 2014 Jun;10 Suppl 2:200-6; discussion 206-7. doi: 10.1227/NEU.0000000000000348.
Multidisciplinary approach for improved outcomes in secondary cranial reconstruction: introducing the pericranial-onlay cranioplasty technique.
Gordon CR, Fisher M, Liauw J, Lina I, Puvanesarajah V, Susarla S, Coon A, Lim M, Quinones-Hinojosa A, Weingart J, Colby G, Olivi A, Huang J.
Neurosurgery. 2014 Jun;10 Suppl 2:179-89; discussion 189-90. doi: 10.1227/NEU.0000000000000296.
Inflammation in stroke and focal cerebral ischemia.
Huang J, Upadhyay UM, Tamargo RJ.
Surg Neurol. 2006 Sep;66(3):232-45. Review.
Serial Imaging Surveillance for Patients With a History of Intracranial Aneurysm: Risk of De Novo Aneurysm Formation.
Wang JY, Smith R, Ye X, Yang W, Caplan JM, Radvany MG, Colby GP, Coon AL, Tamargo RJ, Huang J.
Neurosurgery. 2015 Jul;77(1):32-42; discussion 42-3. doi: 10.1227/NEU.0000000000000730.
Activities & Honors
- Young Clinician Investigator Award, Neurosurgery Research and Education Foundation of the American Association of Neurological Surgeons
- School of Medicine Clinician Scientist Award, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine
- Recognition for clinical excellence, Miller-Coulson Academy
- Richard Otenasek Teaching Award, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine
- Miller-Coulson Academy of Clinical Excellence, inducted 2011
- American Association of Neurological Surgeons
- Congress of Neurological Surgeons
- Neurosurgical Society of America
- Society of Neurological Surgeons
Videos & Media
Johns Hopkins Multidisciplinary Adult Cranioplasty Center - Q&A
Patient Story: Ruptured Brain Aneurysm - Dr. Mezu's Story
Recent News Articles and Media Coverage
Joni Mitchell Had an Aneurysm: Are You at Risk? Next Avenue (06/30/2015)
A Less-Invasive Route for Skull Repair, Robb Report (02/02/2015)
New skull surgery protects brain better, Futurity (02/03/2014)
Press Release: New method to restore skull after brain surgery appears to reduce complication rates (02/03/2014)
Recorded online seminar: Sorting through Brain Aneurysm Treatment
Recorded online seminar: Improving Skull Contours after Brain Surgery or Trauma