Search the Health Library
Get the facts on diseases, conditions, tests and procedures.
I Want To...
Find a Doctor
Find a doctor at The Johns Hopkins Hospital, Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center or Johns Hopkins Community Physicians.
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
Daniel J Valaik, M.D.
Assistant Professor of Orthopaedic Surgery
Expertise: Arthritis of the Knee (Knee Injection), Avascular Necrosis (AVN) of the Hip, Avascular Necrosis (AVN) of the Knee, Core Decompression for Avascular Necrosis of the Hip, Degenerative Joint Disease (Osteoarthritis of the Hip), Femoral Fractures, Femoral-Acetabular Impingement (FAI), Femur Fracture Fixation, High Tibial Osteotomy, Hip Arthritis, Hip Bursitis, Hip Dislocations, Hip Fractures, Joint Injection: Hip, Knee Arthritis, Knee Joint Arthroscopy, Kneecap (Prepatellar) Bursitis, Lateral Release and Medial Imbrication, Loose Body Removal (Knee), Meniscus Tears, Microfracture Drilling Procedure for Isolated Chondral Defect, Muscle Strain Injuries of the Hip, OATS Cartilage Repair Surgery, Osteochondritis Dissecans of the Knee, Partial Hip Resurfacing, Partial Knee Replacement, Partial Meniscectomy, Patella Tendon Rupture, Patellar Fracture (Broken Kneecap), Patellar Tendonitis (Jumpers Knee), Patellar Tracking Disorder, Patellofemoral Pain Syndrome (Runners Knee), Quadriceps Tendon Rupture, Revision Hip Surgery, Revision Knee Surgery, Revision Knee with Tibial Tubercle Osteotomy, Septic Arthritis of the Knee, Supracondylar Femoral Fracture, Tear - Anterior Cruciate Ligament (ACL), Tear - Posterior Cruciate Ligament (PCL), Tibial Fracture, Tibial Osteotomy, Tibial Pateau Fracture, Tibial Tubercle Osteotomy, Total Hip Replacement, Total Hip Resurfacing, Total Knee Replacement ...read more
Research Interests: Adult reconstruction
Request an Appointment
I live in Maryland
Request an appointment through My
I live outside of Maryland
I live outside of the United States
Johns Hopkins Health Care and Surgery Center
Appointment Phone: 301-530-3220
6420 Rockledge Drive
Bethesda, MD 20817 map
Dr. Daniel J. Valaik is an assistant professor of orthopaedic surgery at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine. His areas of expertise include joint preserving surgeries of the hip and knee as well as total joint replacement surgery.
Dr. Valaik graduated with honors from the United States Naval Academy in 1983 and then served as a Navy SEAL for six years. He received his M.D. at the Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences, completed a residency in orthopaedics at the National Naval Medical Center and did a fellowship in adult reconstruction at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine.
After 26 years of service in the U.S. Navy, Dr. Valaik returned to Hopkins. His last position in the military was serving as the chief of the Orthopaedic Service at Walter Reed and the National Naval Medical Center.
Dr. Valaik is a past president of the Society of Military Orthopaedic Surgeons, and is a member the Orthopaedic Trauma Association and the Society of Medical Consultants to the Armed Forces. He is also an American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons Fellow.
- Orthopaedic Surgeon
- Assistant Professor of Orthopaedic Surgery
Departments / Divisions
- Orthopaedic Surgery
- Surgery at Sibley Memorial Hospital
- Surgery at Suburban Hospital
- MD, Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences (1993)
- National Naval Medical Center / Orthopaedic Surgery (2002)
- American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery / Orthopaedic Surgery (2005)
Research & Publications
- Josh Pepek, Jonathan Forsberg, Kate Morteson, Kevin Wilson, Scott Wagner, Daniel Valaik, Alexander Stojadinovic, Douglas Tadaki, Eric Elster. "Heterotopic Ossification in Blast and Combat Related Injuries." J. of Surgical Research, Feb 2008, 144-2, 346.
- Gwinn DE, Keeling JJ, Andersen RC, Kumar A, Valaik DJ. "Blast Induced Lower Extremity Fractures with Arterial Injury: Prevalence and Risk Factors for Amputation after Limb Preserving Treatment." Submitted to J. of Orthopaedic Trauma.
- Hungerford MW, Valaik DJ. "Chondroprotective agents: glucosamine and chondroitin." Foot and Ankle Clinics of N Am 2003, 8; 201-219.
- Valaik DJ. "A Review of Manned Thermal Garment Diving Studies With Lessons Learned for the SDV Operator and Combat Swimmer." Naval Medical Research Institute Technical Report 96-47, July 1996.
- Valaik DJ, Parker EC, Survanshi SS. "Calculating Decompression in Naval Special Warfare SEAL Delivery Vehicle Diving Operations Utilizing the Real Time Dive Planner." Naval Medical Research Institute Technical Report 96-54, Nov 1996.
- Valaik DJ, Hyde DE, Schrot JF, Thomas JR. "Thermal Protection and Diver Performance in Special Operations Forces Combat Swimmers (Resting Diver Phase)." Naval Medical Research Institute Technical Report 97-41, Nov 1997.
- Valaik DJ, Hyde DE, Bowman K, Schrot JF, Thomas JR. "Thermal Protection and Diver Performance in Special Operations Forces Combat Swimmers (Over-the-Beach Phase)." Naval Medical Research Institute Technical Report 98-11, Aug 1998.
- Valaik DJ, Temple D, Ario J, Hyde DE, Schrot JF. "Thermal Protection and Diver Performance in Special Operations Forces Combat Swimmers (Exercising Diver Phase)." Naval Medical Research Center Technical Report 00-01, May 2000.
Activities & Honors
- Meritorious Service Medal for Naval Service, 1998
- Meritorious Service Medal for Naval Service, 2009
- Alpha Omega Alpha, 1992
- Honors Graduate, U.S. Naval Academy, 1983
- Orthopaedic Trauma Association
- Society of Medical Consultants to the Armed Forces
- Past-President, Society of Military Orthopaedic Surgeons