Search the Health Library
Get the facts on diseases, conditions, tests and procedures.
I Want To...
Find a Doctor
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
Kelvin Kai-wen Hong, M.B.B.Ch., M.B.B.S.
Divisional Director, Interventional Radiology
Assistant Professor of Radiology and Radiological Science
Expertise: Bone Tumors, Chronic Total Occlusions, Claudication, Deep Vein Thrombosis (DVT), Interventional Radiology, Kidney Cancer, Liver Tumors, Lower Extremity Angioplasty, Lower Extremity Stenting, Lung Cancer, Peripheral Arterial Disease, Peripheral Vascular Disease, Radiofrequency Ablation for Lung, Liver, Kidney and Bone Lesions, Radiofrequency Ablation for Pain Control, Renal Artery Disease, Renal Vascular Disease, Soft Tissue Tumors, Uterine Fibroids, Varicocele, Vascular and Interventional Radiology, Vascular Malformations, Venous Thromboembolism, Visceral Angioplasty, Visceral Stenting ...read more
Research Interests: Tumor Ablation; Tumor Targetting technologies; Proximal venous thrombosis; Locoregional tumor therapies
The Johns Hopkins Hospital
1800 Orleans Street
Sheikh Zayed Tower
Baltimore, MD 21287 map
Johns Hopkins Outpatient Center
601 N. Caroline St.
Baltimore, MD 21287 map
Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center
Appointment Phone: 410-614-2227
5505 Hopkins Bayview Circle
John R. Burton Pavilion
Baltimore, MD 21224 map
Dr. Kelvin K. Hong is an Assistant Professor in the Johns Hopkins Medicine Division of Interventional Radiology within the Department of Radiology and Radiological Science.
A specialist in interventional and vascular radiology, Dr. Hong serves as the Medical Director of the Johns Hopkins Interventional Radiology Center.
Dr. Hong earned his medical degree from South Africa’s University Of Witwatersrand Medical School in Parktown. He completed a radiology residency at Parktown West’s College of Medicine/Radiology, as well as a cardiovascular/interventional radiology fellowship and diagnostic radiology residency at The Johns Hopkins Hospital.
His areas of clinical expertise include bone, liver and soft-tissue tumors; chronic total occlusions; claudication; deep venous thrombosis; lung, esophageal and kidney cancer; peripheral arterial/vascular disease; renal artery/vascular disease; uterine fibroid tumors; varicocele; and vascular malformations and venous thromboembolism.
Dr. Hong performs procedures that include radiofrequency ablation for lung, liver, kidney and bone lesions; transcatheter arterial chemoembolization for liver cancer; lower-extremity angioplasty and stenting; visceral angioplasty and stenting; embolization of uterine fibroid tumors; cryoablation for pain control; and percutaneous laser ablation of varicose veins.
American Board of Radiology-certified in both diagnostic and vascular and interventional radiology, Dr. Hong served as editor for the book Percutaneous Tumor Ablation and contributed to Interventional Oncology: Principles and Practice.
- Divisional Director, Interventional Radiology
- Radiology Director, Vascular and Interventional Radiology Fellowship Program
- Assistant Professor of Radiology and Radiological Science
Departments / Divisions
- Radiology and Radiological Science - Cardiovascular and Interventional Radiology
- MD; Radiology, University Of Witwatersrand Medical School (1992)
- College of Medicine / Radiology (1999)
- Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine / Diagnostic Radiology (2004)
- Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine / Vascular and Interventional Radiology (2003)
- American Board of Radiology / Diagnostic Radiology (2009)
- American Board of Radiology / Vascular & Interventional Radiology (2010)
Research & Publications
Dr. Hong’s research interests and activity involve development of new percutaneous drug delivery systems as well as work pertaining to a new pharmacological agent for liver cancer treatment.
Selected PublicationsView all on Pubmed
- Robert Sheu Y, Hong K. "Percutaneous lung tumor ablation." Tech Vasc Interv Radiol. 2013 Dec;16(4):239-52. doi: 10.1053/j.tvir.2013.09.001.
- Gulaldi NC, Xia J, Feng T, Hong K, Mathews WB, Ruben D, Kamel IR, Tsui BM, Szabo Z. "Modeling of the renal kinetics of the AT1 receptor specific PET radioligand [11C]KR31173." Biomed Res Int. 2013;2013:835859. doi: 10.1155/2013/835859. Epub 2013 Sep 8.
- Rudin CM, Hong K, Streit M. "Molecular characterization of acquired resistance to the BRAF inhibitor dabrafenib in a patient with BRAF-mutant non-small-cell lung cancer." J Thorac Oncol. 2013 May;8(5):e41-2. doi: 10.1097/JTO.0b013e31828bb1b3. No abstract available.
- Arepally A, Chomas J, Kraitchman D, Hong K. "Quantification and reduction of reflux during embolotherapy using an antireflux catheter and tantalum microspheres: ex vivo analysis." J Vasc Interv Radiol. 2013 Apr;24(4):575-80. doi: 10.1016/j.jvir.2012.12.018. Epub 2013 Feb 23.
- Narayan A, Eng J, Carmi L, McGrane S, Ahmed M, Sharrett AR, Streiff M, Coresh J, Powe N, Hong K. "Iliac vein compression as risk factor for left- versus right-sided deep venous thrombosis: case-control study." Radiology. 2012 Dec;265(3):949-57. doi: 10.1148/radiol.12111580.
Activities & Honors
- American College of Radiology
- Society of Interventional Radiology
Videos & Media
Interventional Radiology: Women's Health
Interventional Radiology: Cancer Treatment