Search the Health Library
Get the facts on diseases, conditions, tests and procedures.
I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
I Want to...
Harikrishna Tandri, M.B.B.S., M.D.
Co-Director, Arrhythmogenic Right Ventricular Dysplasia (ARVD) Program
Associate Professor of Medicine
Languages: English, Hindi, Tamil, Telugu
Expertise: Arrhythmogenic Right Ventricular Dysplasia, Cardiac Electrophysiology, Cardiology, Cardiovascular Diseases, Catheter Ablation Therapy, Heart Disease, Ventricular Tachycardia ...read more
Research Interests: Rapid Hypothermia Induction Device; ARVD; Arrhythmias
Request an Appointment
I live in Maryland
Request an appointment through My
I live outside of Maryland
I live outside of the United States
Johns Hopkins Heart and Vascular Institute
Appointment Phone: 443-997-0270
600 N. Wolfe Street
Sheikh Zayed Tower, #7125
Baltimore, MD 21287 map
Dr. Harikrishna Tandri is the co-director of the Arrhythmogenic Right Ventricular Dysplasia (ARVD) program and an assistant professor of medicine in the division of Cardiology. He has been involved in innovating new methods and devices for treating arrhythmias while reducing the pain of cardiac defibrillation, and for rapidly cooling vulnerable brain and spinal tissue to protect them during cardiac arrest.
Dr. Tandri studied medicine at the University of Health Sciences in India and the Royal College of Physicians in England. He completed residencies in internal medicine and cardiology in India, England, and at the Harbor Hospital Center in Baltimore. Dr. Tandri then pursued fellowships in ARVD research and electrophysiology at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine. He joined the faculty in 2008.
Dr. Tandri has received numerous awards, including BME IDEA of the Year for his Rapid Hypothermia Device. He has published nearly 100 peer-reviewed articles and book chapters, many on the diagnosis and treatment of arrhythmias and ARVD.
- Co-Director, Arrhythmogenic Right Ventricular Dysplasia (ARVD) Program
- Associate Professor of Medicine
- MBBS, Kurnool Medical College (1994)
- DSR District Head Quarters Hospital / Internal Medicine (1995)
- DSR District Head Quarters Hospital / Internal Medicine (1996)
- Hull Royal Infirmary / Rotating (1998)
- Leeds General Infirmary / Cardiology (1998)
- Wexham Park Hospital / Cardiology (1998)
- Good Hope Hospital / Cardiology (1999)
- MedStar Harbor Hospital Center / Internal Medicine (2001)
- Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine / Cardiology (2008)
- Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine / Cardiac Electrophysiology (2008)
- American Board of Internal Medicine / Cardiovascular Disease (2007)
- American Board of Internal Medicine / Electrophysiology (2009)
Research & Publications
Crystal Tichnell; Cynthia A. James; Brittney Murray; Harikrishna Tandri; Samuel F. Sears; Hugh Calkins. Patient's guide to arrhythmogenic right ventricular dysplasia/ cardiomyopathy past to present. Circulation. 2014;130(10):e89-e92.
Frank I. Marcus; William J. McKenna; Duane Sherrill; Cristina Basso; Barbara Bauce; David A. Bluemke; Hugh Calkins; Domenico Corrado; Moniek G.P.J. Cox; James P. Daubert; et al. Diagnosis of arrhythmogenic right ventricular cardiomyopathy/Dysplasia: Proposed modification of the task force criteria. Circulation. 2010;121(13):1533-1541.
Harikrishna Tandri; Manoj Saranathan; E. Rene Rodriguez; Claudia Martinez; Chandra Bomma; Khurram Nasir; Boas Rosen; João A.C. Lima; Hugh Calkins; David A. Bluemke. Noninvasive detection of myocardial fibrosis in arrhythmogenic right ventricular cardiomyopathy using delayed-enhancement magnetic resonance imaging. Journal of the American College of Cardiology. 2005;45(1):98-103.
Frank I. Marcus; William J. McKenna; Duane Sherrill; Cristina Basso; Barbara Bauce; David A. Bluemke; Hugh Calkins; Domenico Corrado; Moniek G.P.J. Cox; James P. Daubert; et al. Diagnosis of arrhythmogenic right ventricular cardiomyopathy/dysplasia. European Heart Journal. 2010;31(7):806-814.
Darshan Dalal; Khurram Nasir; Chandra Bomma; Kalpana Prakasa; Harikrishna Tandri; Jonathan Piccini; Ariel Roguin; Crystal Tichnell; Cynthia James; Stuart D. Russell; et al. Arrhythmogenic right ventricular dysplasia: A United States experience. Circulation. 2005;112(25):3823-3832.
Angeliki Asimaki; Harikrishna Tandri; Hayden Huang; Marc K. Halushka; Shiva Gautam; Cristina Basso; Gaetano Thiene; Adalena Tsatsopoulou; Nikos Protonotarios; Williarn J. McKenna; et al. A new diagnostic test for arrhythmogenic right ventricular cardiomyopathy. New England Journal of Medicine. 2009;360(11):1075-1084.
Khurram Nasir; Chandra Bomma; Harikrishna Tandri; Ariel Roguin; Darshan Dalal; Kalpana Prakasa; Crystal Tichnell; Cynthia James; Phillip Jspevak; Frank Marcus; et al. Electrocardiographic features of arrhythmogenic right ventricular dysplasia/cardiomyopathy according to disease severity: A need to broaden diagnostic criteria. Circulation. 2004;110(12):1527-1534.
Ariel Roguin; Chandra S. Bomma; Khurram Nasir; Harikrishna Tandri; Crystal Tichnell; Cynthia James; Julie Rutberg; Jane Crosson; Philip J. Spevak; Ronald D. Berger; et al. Implantable cardioverter-defibrillators in patients with arrhythmogenic right ventricular dysplasia/cardiomyopathy. Journal of the American College of Cardiology. 2004;43(10):1843-1852.
Chandra Bomma; Julie Rutberg; Harikrishna Tandri; Khurram Nasir; Ariel Roguin; Crystal Tichnell; Rene Rodriguez; Cynthia James; Edward Kasper; Philip Spevak; et al. Misdiagnosis of arrhythmogenic right ventricular dysplasia/cardiomyopathy. Journal of Cardiovascular Electrophysiology. 2004;15(3):300-306.
Harikrishna Tandri; Ernesto Castillo; Victor A. Ferrari; Khurram Nasir; Darshan Dalal; Chandra Bomma; Hugh Calkins; David A. Bluemke. Magnetic Resonance Imaging of Arrhythmogenic Right Ventricular Dysplasia. Sensitivity, Specificity, and Observer Variability of Fat Detection Versus Functional Analysis of the Right Ventricle. Journal of the American College of Cardiology. 2006;48(11):2277-2284.
Activities & Honors
- Best Clinical Research Award, Harbor Hospital , 2000
- Heart Rhythm Society Young Investigator Award Finalist for Clinical Research, 2003
- Laennec Society Young Clinician Award Finalist, American Heart Association, 2004
- Best Oral Abstract Award, Society of Cardiovascular MRI, 2006
- Heart Rhythm Society Young Investigator Award for Clinical Research, 2007
- Stanley Blumenthal Award for translational research, 2007
- Melvin Judkins Young Clinical Investigator Award Finalist, American Heart Association Council on Cardiovascular Radiology and Intervention, 2007
- BME IDEA of the Year for Rapid Hypothermia Device, NCIIA, 2010
- Michel Mirowski Discovery Award for high frequency cardiac defibrillation., 2011
- American College of Cardiology, 2001
- American College of Physicians, 1995 - 2007
- American Heart Association Council on General Clinical Cardiology, 2004
- American Medical Association, 1993 - 1998
- Heart Rhythm Society, 2007
Videos & Media
Lectures and Presentations
Should delayed enhancement be used as a diagnostic criteria for arrhythmogenic right ventricular dysplasia
Society of CMRI , Rome (01/01/2007)
MR Imaging of ARVD techniques and interpretation.
ISMRM , Honolulu (01/01/2009)
Meet the Experts
Physician Workshop For ARVD. ACC , Phoenix (01/01/2010)
CMR assessment of suspected ARVD.
Physician pre-conference , Nice (01/01/2011)
Case-Based Studies in CMR
Catheter Ablation of Ventricular Tachycardia in ARVD
Differentiating ARVD and Cardiac Sarcoidosis