I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
I Want to...
Robert Samuel Mayer, M.D.
Vice-Chair, Education, Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
Associate Professor of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
Expertise: Botox Spasticity Treatment, Botulinum Toxin Injections, Cancer Rehabilitation, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Concussion Rehabilitation, Headache, Intrathecal Baclofen Therapy, Joint Pain, Musculoskeletal Disorders, Musculoskeletal Rehabilitation, Neurological Restoration, Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, Spasticity Management, Spinal Disorders, Spinal Pain ...read more
The Johns Hopkins Hospital
600 N. Wolfe Street
Meyer Building 1-163
Baltimore, MD 21287 map
Dr. R. Samuel Mayer is an associate professor of physical medicine and rehabilitation at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine. His clinical interests include complications of critical illness, spine disorders, pain management, disorders of muscle tone and cancer rehabilitation.
Dr. Mayer serves as the vice chair of education, director of undergraduate medical education and residency program director for the Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation.
He graduated from the honors program in medical education at Northwestern University School of Medicine and completed his residency in physical medicine and rehabilitation at Rush Medical College. He was chair of the Committee on Medical Education for the American Medical Student Association while he was a medical student. After completing his residency, he remained on faculty at Rush Medical College, eventually becoming the residency program director and acting chair of the Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation. He joined the Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation at Johns Hopkins in 2001.
Dr. Mayer serves as director of the Medical Student Summer Clinical Experience in Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation for the Association of Academic Physiatrists. He is Editor in Chief of Knowledge NOW, the American Academy of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation's online encyclopedia of the field. In 2014, he was named Distinguished Clinician by the American Academy of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation.
- Vice-Chair, Education, Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
- Director, Undergraduate Medical Education, Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
- Residency Director, Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
- Associate Professor of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
Departments / Divisions
Centers & Institutes
- Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine (1986)
- Rush Presbyterian University Medical College (1990)
- American Board of Physical Medicine and Rehab / Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation (1991)
Activities & Honors
- Outstanding Council Service Award, American Academy of Physical medicine and Rehabilitation, 2012
- Best Doctors in America, 2000
- Top Doctor, 1996
- Elkins Award (highest score on ABPMR exam), 1990
- Distinguished Clinician, AAPMR, 2014
- American Academy Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
- Association of Academic Physiatrists
- Editor, Knowledge NOW, AAPMR
- Director, Medical Student Summer Clinical Experience, Association of Academic Physiatrists
Medical Student Summer Clinical Experience in Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
- Question writer, National Board of Medical Examiners, 2013 - 2015
United States Medical Licensing Examination