Dr. Halushka’s laboratory is currently working to identify biomarkers of sudden cardiac death and expression patterns of microRNAs in tissues and cells. MicroRNAs are key post-translational regulators of genes. He is interested in determining how microRNAs are altered in human diseases.
His laboratory is also involved in a number of collaborative projects relating to cardiovascular diseases such as sudden cardiac death, cardiac citrullination and neonatal lupus.
Oncology Tissue Services
- Sharma K, Orbai AM, Desai D, Cingolani OH, Halushka MK, Christopher-Stine L, Mammen AL, Wu KC, Zakaria S. "Brief Report: Antisynthetase Syndrome-Associated Myocarditis." J Card Fail. 2014 Jul 29. pii: S1071-9164(14)00685-X.
- Kent OA, McCall MN, Cornish TC, Halushka MK. "Lessons from miR-143/145: the importance of cell-type localization of miRNAs." Nucleic Acids Res. 2014 Aug 1;42(12):7528-38. doi: 10.1093/nar/gku461. Epub 2014 May 29.
- Kim MS, Pinto SM, Getnet D, Nirujogi RS, Manda SS, Chaerkady R, Madugundu AK, Kelkar DS, Isserlin R, Jain S, Thomas JK, Muthusamy B, Leal-Rojas P, Kumar P, Sahasrabuddhe NA, Balakrishnan L, Advani J, George B, Renuse S, Selvan LD, Patil AH, Nanjappa V, Radhakrishnan A, Prasad S, Subbannayya T, Raju R, Kumar M, Sreenivasamurthy SK, Marimuthu A, Sathe GJ, Chavan S, Datta KK, Subbannayya Y, Sahu A, Yelamanchi SD, Jayaram S, Rajagopalan P, Sharma J, Murthy KR, Syed N, Goel R, Khan AA, Ahmad S, Dey G, Mudgal K, Chatterjee A, Huang TC, Zhong J, Wu X, Shaw PG, Freed D, Zahari MS, Mukherjee KK, Shankar S, Mahadevan A, Lam H, Mitchell CJ, Shankar SK, Satishchandra P, Schroeder JT, Sirdeshmukh R, Maitra A, Leach SD, Drake CG, Halushka MK, Prasad TS, Hruban RH, Kerr CL, Bader GD, Iacobuzio-Donahue CA, Gowda H, Pandey A. "A draft map of the human proteome." Nature. 2014 May 29;509(7502):575-81. doi: 10.1038/nature13302.
- Outeda P, Huso DL, Fisher SA, Halushka MK, Kim H, Qian F, Germino GG, Watnick T. "Polycystin signaling is required for directed endothelial cell migration and lymphatic development." Cell Rep. 2014 May 8;7(3):634-44. doi: 10.1016/j.celrep.2014.03.064. Epub 2014 Apr 24.
- Steppan J, Sikka G, Jandu S, Barodka V, Halushka MK, Flavahan NA, Belkin AM, Nyhan D, Butlin M, Avolio A, Berkowitz DE, Santhanam L. "Exercise, vascular stiffness, and tissue transglutaminase." J Am Heart Assoc. 2014 Apr 10;3(2):e000599. doi: 10.1161/JAHA.113.000599.
McCall MN, Kent OA, Yu J, Fox-Talbot K, Zaiman AL, Halushka MK. MicroRNA profiling of diverse endothelial cell types. BMC Med Genomics, 4(1):78, 2011.
Gupta S*, Halushka MK*, Hilton GM, Arking DE. Postmortem cardiac tissue maintains gene expression profile even after late harvesting. BMC Genomics, 13(1):26, 2012.
Giles JT, Fert-Bober J, Park JK, Bingham CO 3rd, Andrade F, Fox-Talbot K, Pappas D, Rosen A, van Eyk J, Bathon JM, Halushka MK. Myocardial citrullination in rheumatoid arthritis: a correlative histopathologic study.. Arth Res Ther. 14(1):R39, 2012.
Kent OA, Fox-Talbot K, Halushka MK. RREB1 repressed miR-143/145 modulates KRAS signaling through down regulation of multiple targets. In Press Oncogene, 2012.
Maleszewski JJ, Murray DL, Dispenzieri A, Grogan M, Judge DP, Caturegli P, Vrana JA, Theis JD, Dogan A, Halushka MK. Relationship between monoclonal gammopathy and cardiac amyloid type. Cardiovasc Pathol, In Press 2012.